Need some help finding a Semi-Auto Firearm (first one)

This is a discussion on Need some help finding a Semi-Auto Firearm (first one) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and could use some help finding my first firearm. Right now I am using a Sig P226 ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need some help finding a Semi-Auto Firearm (first one)

Need some help finding a Semi-Auto Firearm (first one)

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and could use some help finding my first firearm. Right now I am using a Sig P226 when I go to the range (which is not mine but am looking to purchase one of my own now).

This firearm will be used for home protection, range and concealed carry (at least until I find a compact revolver I like).

Unfortunately, there is so many different models and manufacturers that it seems pretty overwhelming. I don't mind doing the research but if you could give me a few that fit this description that I should check into, that would be a huge help for me.

The 3 that I am very interested in purchasing are Sig P239, P226 and P229 but Sig is a little on the expensive side for a college student, so if I could find a nice alternative to one of those and save a few hundred that would be great.

Wants
    Semi-Auto Handgun
    9MM
    Double Action/Single Action
    Hammer Fired
    De-Cocker

Other
    External Safety (Not necessary but would definitely prefer one)
    I would consider Double Action Only
    I don't have a preference on frame material

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

It would be good to put in an approximate price range, otherwise I think you'll get every gun ever made posted.

Based upon your description, the one that came to mind is the Beretta PX4-sub-compact (decocker)

Others I'm sure you will hear about are the Kahr guns, Taurus 709, and possibly a Ruger SR9. I'm not sure about safeties on these guns, but I"m sure someone will.

+1 on the Beretta but you may also want to consider a Springfield XD sub-compact or Glock.
    Entertech AK Centerfire

Daisy Red Ryder

Try to find a police trade in Sig if a can. They are around. I've got two, and they are both solid, carried a lot and not shot much before I bought them. But it sounds like a sig is what you already know and are familiar with.

Also, you life is priceless, whats ramen a couple of extra days for getting what you want.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Senior Moderator
    If you like the P226 but you think that it is too big to conceal, try the 229 or the 239.

They are built to conceal and operate exactly the same way but they are much smaller.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Sounds like you are looking for a Sig. Probably the P229 because its smaller then the P226 but still a double stack unlike the P239. I would take a hard look at the Glock 19 though, its a great all around pistol.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

If you want a gun that will serve dual purpose, in that you can CC it... the 239 conceals like an absolute dream! If you are familiar with the Sig double action/single action platform, the 239 will be a very familiar operation for you.

Here is a beddy's 239 next to my compact Kimber Ultra for size comparison...

Notice how compact the grip is. This is generally the hardest part of the gun to effectively conceal, as it is outside your pants. The 239 is somewhat of an oddly shaped gun when compared to its counterpart Sig models (p226, p228/229). If you look closely at a 239, you'll notice a few design characteristics unique to it... it's slide release and decocker are slightly recessed into the grip panels, as well as a spurless hammer. These features, as well as a smooth rail-less frame, lend the 239 very well to concealment!

COTEP member and 1911Forum reject

Thanks for all the fast responses!

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    It would be good to put in an approximate price range, otherwise I think you'll get every gun ever made posted.
    Good point, basically for price I am looking for something cheaper than a Sig 226 or 229. If it came to the 700-900 price range I would just buy the Sig I use now. If I could find a different one for 300-500 though, that would be nice. Thanks, I'll definitely add the Px4 to the list to check out this weekend.

I did like the XD and glocks but I'm really trying to avoid striker fired, I'm just not use to them.

buckeyeLCPL, lol I'm sick of ramen anyways but if I had to tell my fiancee I spent 800-900 on a handgun when we both still had a year left for college and saving up for the wedding/house, I might be spending that last year in a dorm and not our apartment if you get my drift. Thanks for the info on police trade-ins, seems like a good deal. Where is the best place to look for a one? At different gun shops or online?

HotGuns, I'm not too worried about the size, just the price -- I'd love to get the 229.

So far as a cheaper alternative to Sig, I've got S&W 5906, Beretta 92FS, Beretta M9 and Beretta PX4 on my list to research.

Edit: DIABLO9489 and YFZsandrider, I like Sig the most but not their price; not now anyways. When I graduate I definitely want the 229 or 239.

Quote Originally Posted by Gen95 View Post
    DIABLO9489 and YFZsandrider, I like Sig the most but not their price; not now anyways. When I graduate I definitely want the 229 or 239.
    The best deal in Sigs... is used ones. Look around, and you'll find what you're looking for in the price range of a lower quality, new piece.

The 239 pictured above was picked up used for $475. Its got a couple scratches, but in pretty good shape for a gun that will see dedicated carry duty!

YFZsandrider, thanks for the pictures. For some reason I was under the impression the 239 was more expensive. I'll have to give some places a call tomorrow to see if I can get one local for a decent price or if I'll have to find one online. That looks like a really nice size to conceal.

FNH FNP-9 (polymer frame)

CZ 75 D Compact PCR (de-cocker, no safety, aluminum frame, I have one of these. Good gun)

CZ P-1 (de-cocker, no safety, NATO certified, aluminum frame, much like the PCR ,but with no accessory rail)

Sig P239, P229

Beretta 92FS

Beretta PX4 Storm (full size or compact) Unique rotating barrel. Polymer frame

Taurus PT92 Much like Beretta 92FS, but has much more user friendly and intuitive safety/de-cocker. One of Taurus's better guns.

Stoeger Cougar 8000F , Identical to Beretta Cougar (discontinued), built with the same tooling, but can be had new for less than $400. Probably as much gun as you'll ever get for your dollar. Rotating barrel like Beretta Storm. Feels like a much more expensive gun than it is.

Heckler & Koch P2000 or P2000SK(compact) Polymer frame More expensive than sig

Heckler & Koch P30 (again, quite expensive) Polymer frame

Sorry, that was CZ P-01 (not P-1)

I need to proof read before I send. sorry again, but to correct: The CZ P-01 DOES have an accessory rail.

Quote Originally Posted by Gen95 View Post
    YFZsandrider, thanks for the pictures. For some reason I was under the impression the 239 was more expensive. I'll have to give some places a call tomorrow to see if I can get one local for a decent price or if I'll have to find one online. That looks like a really nice size to conceal.
    You propably won't see one every day for that price... its just a matter of knowing exactly what you want, and looking in the right places.

Here's a used gun on a local firearms forum, just an example...

Sig 239 9mm - Handguns

brabham78, thanks for the list. Most of them on there definitely interest me. I'll start searching them in the morning to find out more about them.

YFZsandrider, I agree, I doubt I'd find one for that price without playing the waiting game but with a quick search I found a few for $550 pretty easily -- which is fine with me. I might have to scoop one up.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links