150 rounds into the break-in and

This is a discussion on 150 rounds into the break-in and within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Whoowhoo, Perfect! I wont even try to go into all the trigger and action involved as I'm totally new to the platform and have nothing ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 150 rounds into the break-in and

Whoowhoo, Perfect!

I wont even try to go into all the trigger and action involved as I'm totally new to the platform and have nothing to compare it to, but I do know that outa 150 rounds I had one malfunction and I'm 99.99% sure it was operator error and not the pistol. The slide stop locked back middle of the 8 round mag I had and it still had four rounds left in the mag. I didn't feel my thumb hit it, but when it locked back I looked at my grip and sure enough my big sausage was sticking up giving the thumbs high signal.

I was hoping for a 100% run and ended up with the one, but again I'm sure I somehow hit the thing with my thumb cause it never happened again. Like I said earlier, I'm new to the 1911 platform and can't really speak intelligently about all the intricacies of the weapon, but I can shoot and man this thing is as accurate as any pistol I've ever shot or owned. The trigger was awesome and I'm sure the match grade barrel helped my aim tremendously. I did some research over the weekend and did find a lot of hit or miss posting regarding the Kimber short barreled pistols being ammo finicky, but I plan on just running FMJ's as both range and carry and so far I'm confident it'll spit the FMJ's out as fast as I can pull the trigger. As a side note, I know some are gonna scoff at the thought of using FMJs as a defense load but IMO, a round that measures .45 and traveling at around 900 FPS will do the job period.

Right now I have my G36 and my Kimber Ultra C 2 are my only .45s and as it stands right now I like my Kimber way more than my G36. The trigger and accuracy are just that impressive; to me anyway. I kept one 50 round target to put in the box the pistol came in and I'll post the pics here to show. It took me a few rounds to get used to the trigger and sights. Mine has the flat black sights no white dots to help line up, but after a few rounds I was hitting what I was aiming at. Anyway, once again I guess I got a good one cause this thing felt like I could've run another box or two through it, but it was getting kinda hot. I was trying to stress the pistol with fast reloads and multiple mags but again the only problem was the slide locking back that one time, other than that, I'd say hellofa pistol!

As far as the 1911 platform. I'm sold! IMO, they're just more fun to shoot and just feel better in my mitts for what ever reason. I know for a fact I'll be adding more to my inventory and would encourage anyone on the fence to jump off and take the plunge. It's an awesome pistol design and just feels good to shoot. Here's some pics of one of my 50 round target. Outa 50, 49 were hits and one flyer. Most shots were from 4 & 5 round loaded mags.

Cheers!

GBK

Target info: Distance was 21' Range Temp. HOT! felt like 95, I don't like going to this range, but @ $10 an hour, I'll deal with the heat.

Here's another pic of the pistol.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Nice gun! Enjoy!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

GM
    Welcome to the 1911 club; when you joined it you purchased a lifetime membership .
    You have a beautiful gun there; glad you enjoy it
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Nice looking Kimber, they are great shooters...enjoy!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thanks guys! I'm very happy it performed well during it's inaugural outing. When I was finished at the range I ask the guy to show me some higher end 1911 pistols. He ask me what I had, I told him and he said, "You got top of the line right there" I said, huh? from my research they're widely considered to be mid level pistol. He said, oh no Kimbers are top notch pistols.

After my first range session with it and not having anything to compare it to, I'll just say that I'm very happy with the purchase and the performance. As to the 1911 being a good choice of sidearm in a fighting situation. I can honestly say I'm just a comfortable with eight rounds of .45 as I am with eleven 9mm and I do carry a BUG in the event I had to run it dry.

GBK

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

So far, so good!

Seems your luck is holding out.

Good luck on the rest of the break-in!

(but I still think you should carry your G26...)
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    So far, so good!

Seems your luck is holding out.

Good luck on the rest of the break-in!

(but I still think you should carry your G26...)
    Yup, thanks! Fingers crossed, but feel much better about the pistol after today. I wonder how many complaints had to do with not wanting to use FMJ vs JHPs. That, and maybe some not being willing to deal with a break-in. We both know how we feel about that subject.

I know what ya mean about the G26 and trust me, nothing will ever fully take the place of my G26, or my G23 for that matter. But for now, this thing is just a pleasure to carry and the .45 is about as good as it gets with the exception of a couple other carry rounds. I'm just gonna carry a good FMJ as my carry round. The ballistics and size of the hole alone are very respectable IMO, not to mention taking all that kinetic energy to COM should serve anyone well. The grip on the Kimber is very comfortable and having shot my G26 last week with my new Sig gave me a good comparison between the two. I'll give the 26 the attention it deserves, but for now I'm sliding over to the 1911 side for a bit.

Anyway, thanks again.

GBK

I love my little Kimber Glad to see you're enjoying yours as well
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

150 rounds is not a break in. It is confirmation your gun has most of the parts, and that they are probably installed by a semi-trained monkey.

Talk to us when you reach 1,500...Oh, wait. You have a 3 inch Kimber.

I had one of those. Don't worry. You won't make it to 1,500 with that weapon...

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Yup, thanks! Fingers crossed, but feel much better about the pistol after today. I wonder how many complaints had to do with not wanting to use FMJ vs JHPs. That, and maybe some not being willing to deal with a break-in. We both know how we feel about that subject.

I know what ya mean about the G26 and trust me, nothing will ever fully take the place of my G26, or my G23 for that matter. But for now, this thing is just a pleasure to carry and the .45 is about as good as it gets with the exception of a couple other carry rounds. I'm just gonna carry a good FMJ as my carry round. The ballistics and size of the hole alone are very respectable IMO, not to mention taking all that kinetic energy to COM should serve anyone well. The grip on the Kimber is very comfortable and having shot my G26 last week with my new Sig gave me a good comparison between the two. I'll give the 26 the attention it deserves, but for now I'm sliding over to the 1911 side for a bit.

Anyway, thanks again.

GBK
    Energy is not a measure of terminal performance. If your carry gun won't feed HPs, either sell it or fix it.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar

Nib and 1 bobble in 150 from a 3" 1911
    sounds pretty good to me.

And he did say INTO the breakin.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Congrats, I love the 1911 platform. Glad you are happy.

the 1911 platform is just top drawer.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by Texag View Post
    Energy is not a measure of terminal performance. If your carry gun won't feed HPs, either sell it or fix it.
    Nope, not one to worry about the gravy.

Numbers for the 230gr FMJ .45. FPS around 900, FPE around 365. I've never been shot before, but I'll bet any and everything that no one will be standing after taking a couple of those in any vital area. I'd say most if not all autoloaders run better with FMJs and can be considered very reliable using that load. IMO, when you get to the big bore calibers the HPs are just gravy to a already awesome amount of stopping power. I'll run some HP through it later in the break in, and might even carry um from time to time, but not even worried about this weapons ability to put some nut job down. But I do appreciate your concern.

GBK

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    150 rounds is not a break in. It is confirmation your gun has most of the parts, and that they are probably installed by a semi-trained monkey.

Talk to us when you reach 1,500...Oh, wait. You have a 3 inch Kimber.

I had one of those. Don't worry. You won't make it to 1,500 with that weapon...
    This whole post is confusing. I never called it a complete "break in". And the bold portion of it it is just laughable. I could be wrong, but I doubt KImber could put out a thousand dollar piece of junk for to long before some changes were made to rescue their reputation. I'm not say you didn't get a lemon, but for the record. The Ultra compacts ARE NOT RANGE GUNS, they are carry weapons and might only see a little over a couple thousand rounds over the life of the weapon. With that said, I still think with proper maintenance even these carry pistols will run and do what they were meant to do. If you don't see it the same way I do that's cool, but your bad experience doesn't transcend down to me. I'll be my own judge of the manufacture and its quality, be it good or bad.

I'll be sure to post at the 1500 round mark and let ya know how it's going, but on the serious side; I'll run another three or four hundred rounds through it and carry it until I find another 1911 and start all over again.

Cheers to ya

GBK

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links