Why they work?

This is a discussion on Why they work? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Reading various threads on multiple boards, I think we can say that Glock has the reputation for the best reliability. I don't care how ugly ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why they work?

Why they work?

Reading various threads on multiple boards, I think we can say that Glock has the reputation for the best reliability. I don't care how ugly you think they are, or that they're imported, or any other reason you may have for not liking Glock, but you have to admit that they are probably THE most reliable pistol. That got me to thinking, why? What is it that makes Glocks so damn reliable? I mean what does Glock do technically that makes them so reliable? better feed ramp angles? Better designed mag followers? Better extractor design? I don't know, but I thought maybe we could toss it around?

This isn't a thread to bash any other brand, and please don't start posting how good your brand of pistol is. There's lots of good stuff out there, and some junk too. Please keep your opinions to yourself. Let's just see if we can figure out what makes the Glock so reliable.

FWIW, I own 3 Glocks, 2 S&W, 2 Springfield, 2 Kimber, 1 Browning and 1 Sig Sauer. So no, this isn't a "fan boy" thread.
    "I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders"
    Ted Nugent

2. Remove Ads

Simple design and open tolerances. Thats about it. The most reliable 1911's I have owned were loose tolerances while the most finicky were the high end race guns with tighter tolerances.

Simple design and no need to precision machine with the larger rectangular frame
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

I think the simplicity of design has to be a major factor. Not many other guns that field strip into frame, barrel, rail and spring. 4 parts total, and all that is needed for most people for as long as they own the gun. Fewer parts, machine tolerances to allow for crud and dirt, and a composite frame that won't distort, chip, or mis-align, even tho it is composite!

Either that, or it's magic.

May be because Colt will not sell their great wepons to us any more. I must say I never met a Colt I didn't like LOL. But, yes, it does seem the folks that have them love them and they seem to be reliable. But there are a lot of good guns out there so to each his own.
    Best thing is practice, practice, and hit the center of mass.
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

Simplistic and they do not have a lot of parts. You can take apart a Glock with a single tool. I've never owned anything but Glock's because I know each time I squeeze the trigger it will go bang. In Glock I do trust. While I would like to own a Sig and H&K one day a Glock 26 is next on my list because a Glock just always works. Damn near purchased one on Saturday. Had to keep my credit card from jumping out of my wallet.

IMHO, Glock adhered to the KISS principle.
    Samwolf

"One of the ordinary modes, by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance, is, by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms."

-- Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

Quote Originally Posted by Samwolf;
    IMHO, Glock adhered to the KISS principle.
    I think that pretty much sums it up...

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Tighter the tolerances the more acurate, but also higher chances of hiccups. Glocks are loose, like an old "real" GI .45 auto. Made to be more relaible at the sacrifice of accuracy. Remember the tales of having 1911s "accurized" before the like of Kimber and Wilson did it for you (at a price)?

Glock seems to have found the right mix of reliability and accuracy.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    It is all in the design!

sorry I couldn't resist
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Funny Razor.

I am a happy guy with my Glock 26. Hitch

Not to rain on your parade but I've never found a Glock more reliable than any Sig Sauer, HK, M&P, or in spec 1911 I've ever handled, fired, owned, or had experience with.

I think if Glock was in use for the US Armed forces instead of Beretta, you'd hear less talk about it being reliable. It's like any other man made device. It can fail.

You're not trying to be a "fan boy" thread but you don't want negitive opinions about Glocks or positive stories about another brand that has shown itself to be just as reliable?
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    Not to rain on your parade but I've never found a Glock more reliable than any Sig Sauer, HK, M&P, or in spec 1911 I've ever handled, fired, owned, or had experience with.

I think if Glock was in use for the US Armed forces instead of Beretta, you'd hear less talk about it being reliable. It's like any other man made device. It can fail.

You're not trying to be a "fan boy" thread but you don't want negitive opinions about Glocks or positive stories about another brand that has shown itself to be just as reliable?
    maybe does brand you mentioned are reliable but no brand can compare to glock price and reliability, I not a glock fan boy but the truth is glock rocks !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post

I guess you missed the idea of this thread. The idea, which I thought was clearly conveyed, was to investigate why Glock is so reliable. I never said others can't be as good or that a Glock never fails, did I?
    I also clearly stated that I own many others which I have confidence in, or I would not own them. I also never stated that a negative opinion wasn't welcome, assuming that you have data to back it up. I said that Glock has a reputation, even with those folk who don't like them, of being reliable. WHY? So far the majority opinion is simplicity and looser tolerances.

Please contribute to why you think Glock is so reliable, as others have. You're welcome to start your own thread on why others are just as good or better. Thank you.
    "I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders"
    Ted Nugent

1)Consistent, high level quality control/top quality materials.

2)Generous chamber dimensions.

3)High quality, well designed and constantly updated magazines.

4)Optimal cartridge feed angle from the magazine.

5)Small bearing surface frame rails.
    Glock "Perfection" is not just a slogan; it is truth in advertising.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links