Walther P99 compact or PPS?

This is a discussion on Walther P99 compact or PPS? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Which of these is a better choice for CCW? Both of these gun feel good in my hands but I'm tempted to go with the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walther P99 compact or PPS?

Walther P99 compact or PPS?

Which of these is a better choice for CCW? Both of these gun feel good in my hands but I'm tempted to go with the P99C as it been around longer and is proven. Plus I can recall some of the PPS gun having some feeding issues when they first came out,has this been corrected in the newer guns? I'm considering both in 9mm so if anyone has feedback on either of these guns and they they prefer one over the other please sound off.
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

2. Remove Ads

i am having a dilemma myself,i took the pps out of the running because of mag prices and its so new. i much prefer the p99....the price and availability of mags is a big deal to me. they're expensive!

I have a pps in 9mm and I love it. I currently have a little over 1200 rounds threw it and i only have had one FTE due to my wife limp wristing it. The greatest thing about the PPS is how thin it is. I carry IWB and its extreemly comfortable. It is also every bit as accurate as my full sized M&P's.

I cant say enough good things about my PPS, out the 5-6 that i can carry its my EDC and I dont see that changing any time soon.

jyo
    The P99/99C are much larger, fatter pistols---very nice guns---but for concealment, the PPS IS THE WAY TO GO!! Flat, quite thin with a very "Glock-like" trigger, mine in 9mm has proven itself very reliable.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    I have owned a P99 and currently own two PPS's and my vote goes to the PPS. I like the AS trigger on the P99 and the decocker but for flat out concealability and all day carry comfort my vote goes to the PPS. Mine have been utterly reliable and while I carry the 9mm daily, the .40 is just as smooth minus one round capacity. My 9mm PPS trigger has improved with use. I love that pistol.

I think it depends on how you're going to carry it. Obviously none of the guns you mentioned are pocket gun. So it's likely a choice between belt/holster carry, out-side-waistband, in which case the P99AS would work as well as any mid-sized pistol. And for inside-the--waistband carry, the more compact (ie-thin) PPS is a much better choice than a double stack P99. If you want 100% reliability, go revolver, but if you're looking for a very reliable semi-automatic, any Walther, whether P99 or PPS, is a good choice. As I've seen by the member's posts so far, they recommend the PPS. I'd have to agree with them. I always recommend thin- the thinner the better, no matter my method of carry. The PPS is about as thin as it gets. Kahr K9 and P9 might match it in that regard? I have a Kahr MK40, which is quite thin too, but for me the PPS carries better. I've noticed that the PPS is one of the few polymer pistols I've owned (or shot) that actually had a solid metal-like quality about how it feels. Not the typical plastic-feeling polymer gun.

I'd also second what member Siafu says about the PPS trigger. Mine was good to begin with, but it's even better now. Short and crisp.

.........I'll also add that my PPS has so far proven to be reiable. No malfunctions of any kind.

9mm PPS, Zero malfunctions, shot perfect out of the box, no break-in needed for mine. I've tried many small thin 9's, and nothing I tried shoots as well, is as reliable, or durable, and is as soft (little felt recoil)or as thin...the PPS replaced my EDC Sig very rapidly...I still would never sell my Sig tho.

PPS if concealment is more important to you. P99 for higher capacity and a bulkier feel. Both have Walther quality construction and innovative designs.

Quote Originally Posted by SirLingPing View Post
    PPS if concealment is more important to you. P99 for higher capacity and a bulkier feel. Both have Walther quality construction and innovative designs.
    +1

I've had zero problems with my PPS in 9mm. It is my EDC.

The mags are freaking expensive though. $50 a pop.

And the gun comes new with only one.

It came with the pinky extension 7 rounder and I bought a 6 round flush mag. I carry the 6 round and pocket the 7.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

PPS
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

For pocket carry or deep concealment - I love my PPS 9mm. No issues - just the mag prices.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

My friend picked a PPS in 40 for his EDC.
    Knowing is half the battle.

Another vote for PPS here. It's my EDC, not a single issue or failure with at least 1,000 rounds through it. Disappears IWB.

I'm a fan of the P99c. I don't have any experience with the PPS other than fondling one, but it is nice and flat. That said, IMO the P99c's more comfortable in the hand and will be an easier shooting pistol because of that. The PPS is a tad over 1" and the P99c's 1.3" which for some that 0.3" is a deal breaker. If you're planning on carrying IWB then the difference could be negligible for you. I used to have a PM9 and I really didn't care for it's tiny grip. It made drawing more difficult and shooting not as controllable. I also prefer the AS trigger's DA/SA feature over a Glock-like trigger.

In the end, the choice is up to you.
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links