Buying a PPS tomorrow morning (hopefully)! Advice please...

This is a discussion on Buying a PPS tomorrow morning (hopefully)! Advice please... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I found a good deal today on what looks to be a pretty lightly used PPS in a local pawn shop, and I plan on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying a PPS tomorrow morning (hopefully)! Advice please...

Buying a PPS tomorrow morning (hopefully)! Advice please...

I found a good deal today on what looks to be a pretty lightly used PPS in a local pawn shop, and I plan on picking it up first thing in the morning. I rented this gun at my range recently and fell in love.

But, on very short notice, I have a couple of concerns I hope someone can help me with first:

(1) I'm not familiar with the overall history of the PPS line. Have there been any major changes or upgrades that I should know about? Is there some period of manufacture to avoid for this gun? (Color-wise, this gun looked like the new ones, not the ones with the light gray frame.)

(2) I'm a little nervous about having zero warranty. Do the folks at S&W/WaltherAmerica do any favors to accommodate PPS owners post-warranty (dreaming, I know), or are you left to foot every last cent of the bill for any problem the gun has?

(3) What are your sincere thoughts on the reliability and durability of this gun? Is this gun going to last as long as a Sig, Glock, or Beretta?

I really want to take the plunge and get this gun -- I just don't want to do something rash I will regret later. I can't afford a new PPS right now, and I had all but resigned myself to buying the Taurus 709 Slim instead, but then I stumbled upon this deal. Browsing internet forums, it does seem the PPS has more technical issues than I had hoped, but not nearly as many as the 709. Just hope I don't wind up with a lemon.

Thanks for your help.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    FWIW, I just got a used gun and have realized that it is one of the dumbest things I have done in a while. It's like getting a used heart valve, buyer beware.

If this is something you want to carry for self defense, or use for home defense, I'd get a new gun from a reputable shop, or maaaaaaaaaaybe get a used gun if you know the history, AND have done a bunch of shooting with it. 50 rounds minimum.

And have Googled the heck out of it and looked for common threads on performance (or lack therof).

Call the manufacturer before you get the gun.

That's all just my opinion and sincere thoughts, no sugar coating. Of course, I did none of this myself for my recent not so smart purchase.

Used semi-autos have some degree of risk associated with being used guns, but there are exceptions. GLocks and sigs have solid reps for being reliable but you know that from your internet research. Walther is a great name, which is why S&W bought them, but quality was better before they were S&W. WIth that said, I would review the warranty info on-line, as S&W products do have a lifetime warranty, but not sure if it applies to the Walther line...
    If it is priced right, ask for a 7-day money-back or exchange from your local store: they always want business and might offer it if you ask! That way you can shoot a few dozen magazines to be sure it functions correctly, or swap it for something else.
    FWIW, I recently got the 709 slim from Taurus and couldn't be happier with it. It has somewhat mixed results, but you can count me as a die-hard Taurus fan, right up there with Glocks, which would be my first suggestion to you as a new gun owner, but a good Walther even if made by S&W is a great weapon.

They still make the gun you still can get parts. You may have to pay to get it fixed but Walthers I believe only have a 1 year warranty not lifetime like the S & W. I would get it
    Hitler once said, “The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerers who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing.”

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Walther makes excellent weapons, you won't be dissapointed.

Smith & Wesson does not own Walther, they are their US distributors and I think they do some assembly for them and handle warranties for them too.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    You will love it. My all time favorite CCW pistol. Built like a tank. Of you want a stainless guide rod get one here. BTGuiderods

You wont have any problems with the OEM rod but I like the finish of the BT rod.

What is the alpha prefix of your serial number? ABxxx, ACxxx and so on...I have an early AB and a later AC and both function like a Swiss watch.

Check out www.ppstalk.com

My PPS has been flawless, and S&W has some of the best customer service in the industry. I can't say enough good things about the PPS.

Don't yell at me but the PPS is butt-ugly! aside from my personal opinion on it's looks, I would love to have one!!!

As someone else mentioned,
    they are built like tanks!
    Talk about slim, well, I would love to carry one, they are skinny!

Just look it over good, look for abuse and if was well cared for and you should be fine!
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

You will not be disappointed. Go to PPSTALK.com. Lots of great info. The pps is not know for alot of problems like say Taurus. With 4-500 fmj rounds and 150 HP rounds, I had one FTFeed in the first 30 rounds with a gold dot. This gun loves HST 147grain. I have heard that S&W are still repairing guns older than 1 year. S&W now takes care of the PPS. Im glad I bought mine.... that's my opinion

oh..as far as buying used.... yeah.. its hard to say. I wound think that if there is a issue, it can be worked out. Really compare the prices. A new one can be had for under 6 bills if you look around online or local. If I wasnt going to save more than 150 to 200 bux, then I would save up a couple more months and buy new. How many mags come with it? mine is a AE serial number and the fired case that came with it was 9-2009. Good Luck
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

Administrator
    Take your time & look it over carefully before you buy.
    Pay particular attention to the frame and feed area.
    If it looks like any critical frame areas have been home gun-smithed then walk away.

EdC
    My PPS (9mm) runs fine. I think it's a great gun. Check the backstrap to make sure it's not loose.

Quote Originally Posted by hihosilver View Post
    You will not be disappointed. Go to PPSTALK.com. Lots of great info. The pps is not know for alot of problems like say Taurus. With 4-500 fmj rounds and 150 HP rounds, I had one FTFeed in the first 30 rounds with a gold dot. This gun loves HST 147grain. I have heard that S&W are still repairing guns older than 1 year. S&W now takes care of the PPS. Im glad I bought mine.... that's my opinion

oh..as far as buying used.... yeah.. its hard to say. I wound think that if there is a issue, it can be worked out. Really compare the prices. A new one can be had for under 6 bills if you look around online or local. If I wasnt going to save more than 150 to 200 bux, then I would save up a couple more months and buy new. How many mags come with it? mine is a AE serial number and the fired case that came with it was 9-2009. Good Luck
    I agree. I would save my pennies for another few months and get a new one.
    Glock 22 Gen 4, 27
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

I think the PPS is a great gun and you'll be happy with it's accuracy and how easily it conceals. The fit and finish is as expected from a respected German firm. I have owned mine for only 2 months and am very pleased. Based on the PPS internet forums reliability is good but probably not yet at the level of a Glock. The vast majority of owners report excellent performance. If the price looks too low you might want to give it a thorough test at the range. Give me the PPS any day over the 709 Slim. Cheese to chalk.

VIP Member
    I like mine

They are ugly, I don't like the magazine release...........but, I still like mine.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links