I want a new Kahr P380, but?

This is a discussion on I want a new Kahr P380, but? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; hello everyone, i'm going to be buying a new pocket .380 in the next week or so,and i'm leaning towards the Kahr P380..i also own ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I want a new Kahr P380, but?

hello everyone, i'm going to be buying a new pocket .380 in the next week or so,and i'm leaning towards the Kahr P380..i also own a Kahr CW9 that i've been very happy with..Lately i've been finding some very unimpressive reviews on the P380,lots of jams,FTF's,FTE's,slide problems etc..during my last visit to the local gun shop, i expressed my interest in the Kahr P380..Guy behind the counter tried to steer me away from the P380 for the same reasons..he asked why i'd spend over $600.00 on the Kahr P380 when you can get a Kel Tec P3AT or Ruger LCP for half the price and they're more reliable..obviously,$600.00+ is alot to spend on a .380.. It should run 100% flawless IMO,especially for that kind of $$$..any opinions from P380 owners? thanks

i dont own any yet, but i feel exactlly what u feel...i want to buy a kahr as a carry weapon, but if its not 100% then i cant feel comfortable carrying it..

i hope ur search turns out well!

I recently researched .380's. You’ll find FTF, FTE, ect complaints on EVERY .380 model. Some reviewers may have lemon guns, but I think most of the negative reviews are just people blowing smoke on the internet. The gun I decided on has about 450 rounds and 0 malfunctions. I’d bet in the correct hands the Karh will perform similar and be a fine EDC gun.

I own a PM9,Ruger LCP,and a P380 and the Kahr P380 is 3 times the gun as the Ruger.

I own the Ruger LCP and Kahr P380. My LCP had one FTF on the third round, but has been flawless after that (>500 rounds). My Kahr P380 was flawless for about 600 rounds, but started to lock back prematurely with JHP rounds, specifically Buffalo Bore. I ended up sending it back to Kahr and they replaced the barrel and slide release. They sent it back in 4 days. I've put another 200 rounds through it with no problem. I love the trigger and really like the Buffalo Bore +P JHP. It's a really hot .380ACP round.

Unfortunately, you're going to find good and bad reports for all of the .380ACP pocket guns out there. The tolerances are extremely tight and not every gun likes every brand of ammunition.

I have the Kahr P380 and if you read the information by Kahr, they do specify that the pistol should fire 200 rounds before considering it trustworthy.

in the first 25 rounds, I had one FTF and 2 FTE, after that it has been alsolutely flawless in its preformance.

I did the same soul searching before I bought the P380 over the LCp that was sitting right next to it.

i did not care for the trigger in the LCp and it seemed to point low for me, while the Kahr seems to be an extension of my finger.

you will find that at 7 yards you are truly impressed how well the psitol shoots.

Another thing, check out the front sight on the Kahr vs. the Ruger. In a dark situation, it will be very easy to pick out the white dot on the Kahr.

After a day of " deciding" between the Kahr and LCP, I went with the Kahr I guess the bottom line is this, in a life and death situation, I have never heard anyone say, I am glad I saved $200 on this pistol.

I looked at one, it looks very nice.

FWIW...I have a KelTec P3AT ive been carrying for over a year, in my front pocket. I've fired 5 or 6 hundred rounds thru it with out a hiccup! Its dern accurate to 15 yards and can be bought new for 269.00!...just saying!
    USMC 1984-1992
    To err is human.
    To forgive is divine.
    Neither of which is Marine Corps policy.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

Not to hi jack the post but I have a NAA Guardian 380 and it has NEVER had an issue. I have used ball ammo to hollow points and every round has fired. I know that if I ever "need" this gun it will go bang!
    It's not the destination, it's the journey.

I owned a NAA Guardian .380 at one time, but I couldn't get JHP to feed reliably in it. I had no problems with FMJ. IMO, it was also a little too heavy for me to pocket carry comfortably.

Somewhere Near Lucky Ned Pepper's Hideout
    I've seen a lot of requests for buying and trading for Kahr P380s on my regional shooter's website, but have heard similar reviews of how unreliable they are.

If I were in the market for a .380, I'd be looking at the Sig P232 or P238. Gun test magazine rated both of these weapons at A-, which is very high.

I own a lot of .380s and pocket pistols (LCP, P3AT, P380, P32, R9s) I have been very lucky as I have had no issues with any of them. If I had to rank them in terms of quality, fit & finish, reliability, and extras (lock back after last round, actual sights, slide lock, etc.) I would put the Kahr behind only the Rohrbaugh R9s and at the top of the list for .380s.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I've owned and shot 1000's of rounds through 2 ea P3AT's (1st gen and 2nd), an LCP and now a P380 with night sights.

Frankly, I had some FTE or FTF with every one of them. The first generation P3AT was so bad it made 3 seperate trips back to home base and then I sold it. the 2nd Gen had a few problems with hollow points. Sent it home and after that it was perfect with some HP's not with others.

The Ruger LCP had to go back for the recal and didn't like hollow points at all but shot any ball ammo perfectly from the get-go

P380, seemed hard to re-assemble so I sent it back on their dime, they replaced the barrel and it's been perfect.

My opinion is that you may or may not have problems with any pocket .380. Any one of those three are good basic pocket .380's and if you have a problem with any one of the three you can count on all of them to make them right. YOU CAN'T GO WRONG WITH ANY ONE OF THE THREE!

However....

The Kahr is more than a cut above. The grip is much much better. The sights are as good as my full size guns and night sights like them too. I personally like the slide to lock to the rear after the last round just like all of my defensive autos. The trigger of the P380 is so much better than the other two that there really is no comparison at all. My P380 is more accurate than the other ones I've had.

Based on those factors alone I was more than happy to spend the money on the Kahr. HOWEVER, if you buy a P3AT or LCP and shoot it enough to determine reliability you'll have a good gun, period. If you do have a problem with any of them they all have great customer service. Kahr paid for my shipping, sent the shipper and had the FedEx guy there the next day and I had the gun back in less than 4 business days door to door and I only sent it in because it didn't want to break down or re-assemble well. Now it's perfect.

I get a better grip because the grip on the P380 is a hair longer than the other two.

I wouldn't worry about the internet traffic. They're all three good and all of them have problems and nobody (and I mean no body) makes a pocket .380 that is always 100% reliable out of the box. They can't even do that with full size guns. Even Glocks and Ruger SP101's can mess up when new!

So pick the one that fits your wallet and your hand and be happy.

PS; I've searched more than anyone ever ought to for the perfect pocket holster. Haven't found it yet but the one that's come closest can be found here:

Hidden Holsters - Expertly Crafted Pocket Holsters

I love mine.

Good luck
    Gideon

You can find a lot of information at this link:

KahrTalk Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Gideon - Great post. I think I'll save a link to your response because this question gets asked at least once a week on every handgun forum. I don't own any of those guns, mine is a Micro Desert Eagle that has also had its share of problems. The difference is that it only has a 1 year warranty, from now on for me "that's a deal breaker."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links