M&P45c vs. Glock 36

This is a discussion on M&P45c vs. Glock 36 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had been looking at possibly getting my first Glock, but I've also been looking at the M&P45c with thumb safety. Others may disagree, but ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: M&P45c vs. Glock 36

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar

M&P45c vs. Glock 36

I had been looking at possibly getting my first Glock, but I've also been looking at the M&P45c with thumb safety. Others may disagree, but being a "1911 guy" traditionally, I like thumb safeties. Not only does the M&P have this available, but it's 8+1 as opposed to 6+1 with the Glock.

So do any of you have both (or "had" both)? That M&P is actually looking better by the minute. If so, is the concealment good? Which feels thinner? Which do you have more confidence in?
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

2. Remove Ads

If you're a 1911 guy traditionaly I think you would find the transition to the M&P with a Thumb Safety to be a natural occurance.

Biker

I'd go for the Glock 30SF over the G36 because of capacity with not too much more size.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    I had been looking at possibly getting my first Glock, but I've also been looking at the M&P45c with thumb safety. Others may disagree, but being a "1911 guy" traditionally, I like thumb safeties. Not only does the M&P have this available, but it's 8+1 as opposed to 6+1 with the Glock.

So do any of you have both (or "had" both)? That M&P is actually looking better by the minute. If so, is the concealment good? Which feels thinner? Which do you have more confidence in?
    I have the full size M&P45 with the thumb safety and love it! Either one of those is a true winner.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I am a big fan of more capacity is better. The M&P is nice looking pistol and am actually considering one for myself over a Glock 21.

Back to your question though, the M&P for sure. Around me the M&P is a little cheaper than Glocks.
    I practice the 2nd Amendment....alot

I have the Glock 36. Its really small too be a glock. I had a Glock 30sf and the size difference is huge to me. The capacity could be more but i love it. But i think you would like the M&P better since your a 1911 guy.
    GLOCK 26
    MOSS 500

I agree with what has been stated. If your a 1911 guy then the M&P will be a easier transition. However if size is a concern it's hard to beat the G36.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    If your a 1911 guy then the M&P will be a easier transition.
    Dittos to this. I have friends who are dyed-in-the-wool 1911ers and all but one of them also has the M&P. I hear S&W has a rebate on right now too.
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

I appreciate everyone's input!

Now a crazy question. Two, actually. The width of the pistol is listed as 1.2 inches. Am I correct in assuming that the ambi safety is included in the width, since it protrudes on both sides?

Also, what are the chances of a non-ambi being available for this gun?

-miklcolt45

+1 for M&P, I too am a 1911 guy and I love my M&P. I have the mid-size .45 with the thumb safety.

I appreciate everyone's input!

Now a crazy question. Two, actually. The width of the pistol is listed as 1.2 inches. Am I correct in assuming that the ambi safety is included in the width, since it protrudes on both sides?

Also, what are the chances of a non-ambi being available for this gun?
    I'm honestly not sure if that includes the controls or not. I'm inclined to say no but thats just a guess.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

VIP Member
    I'm honestly not sure if that includes the controls or not. I'm inclined to say no but thats just a guess.
    I had to take it apart to do an apex sear install and it's truly ambi, I have not seen it for just one side. Call S&W as I may be wrong.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

If those dimensions don't include the safety, then I wonder if it might be a bit of a brick. Guess I need to hold one and see.

-miklcolt45

If those dimensions don't include the safety, then I wonder if it might be a bit of a brick. Guess I need to hold one and see.
    From holding one I can say that 1.2 just in the handle wouldn't surprise me. It felt like a pretty thick gun however EXTREMELY comfortable. To be honest the M&&P line is probably THE most comfortable polymer pistol I have held. For comparisons sake a Glock 26 is 1.18 inches thick and a PT145 is 1.25 inches thick. I don't think my Glock 26 is uncomfortable to hold but holding a M&P was kinda like "oooooooooooh yeaaaaaaaaaaah"

Distinguished Member
    M&P 45c at 1.2 does not include the controls. It is sweet and sweet shooting.

Here are a couple of pics for an idea of concealability (not much for me)

Dave Spalding holster from FIST on tapered 1.5 belt.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links