I know a ton of these threads, but help me choose

This is a discussion on I know a ton of these threads, but help me choose within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, life has lots of twists and turns. Due to a current (hopefully semi-temporary) medical condition, I have lost some weight. Financially, (mold found in ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I know a ton of these threads, but help me choose

I know a ton of these threads, but help me choose

Well, life has lots of twists and turns. Due to a current (hopefully semi-temporary) medical condition, I have lost some weight. Financially, (mold found in house, new baby on the way)I had to sell of all but one of my guns. I now have a G27. Lately I have found .40 to be a bit snappy, never fired my G27, but fired a friends G23.

So... I now am looking for a new CCW gun. I am selling my Glock, so, what I get for the G27 is the absolute limit of my new gun budget. I am thinking 475-500.

I am slowly narrowing the choices down to a Kahr CW9, Ruger SR9, Taurus PT111, Taurus 709 and a Ruger LCP(but prefer 9mm over .380). I am also looking at an RIA compact 1911 (I love 1911's and I find Ican handle the push of a .45 easier than the snap of a .40).

So, any opinions on my choices? I am not a Glock guy, the ergonomics never worked for me. I really like the SR9 so far, got to handle one, but not fire it. Kahr is nice, but my wife would prefer if the gun had a manual safety, I have no opinion on a manual safety either way. The XD is kinda blocky for me, I had one a while back and it felt like a brick, and I had more weight on me back then, lol.

Anyway, Any opinions or ideas?

I apologize I know there are lots of the "help me choose" threads.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    To be honest, I think any of your choices are a "step down" from the G27. My first suggestion would be to try a one-for-one swap for a G26, but you have stated a preference to move away from Glock. I also didn't see M&P on your list - any particular reason why? I'd also look hard at CZ, and (on the smaller end, but you mentioned the LCP) the KT PF-9.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Out of what you mentioned I would suggest the CW9.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

CW9
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Go with the 709its about the slimist
    nine out. I have a G26 that just dont fit the bill! great gun just to blocky for the way i like to carry shorts and tshirt.

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dontstop View Post
    Go with the 709its about the slimist
    nine out. I have a G26 that just dont fit the bill! great gun just to blocky for the way i like to carry shorts and tshirt.
    The problem is that the 709 is a Taurus.

Get the CW9.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Kahr CW9 or Kel-Tec PF-9.

from the list you gave,i'd suggest the Kahr CW9..reliable and a nice smooth DAO trigger..

Absolutely nothing wrong with the SR9. I think my next weapon will be the SR9c.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    CW9

PF9

Quote Originally Posted by Jaystekan View Post
    Well, life has lots of twists and turns. Due to a current (hopefully semi-temporary) medical condition, I have lost some weight. Financially, (mold found in house, new baby on the way)I had to sell of all but one of my guns. I now have a G27. Lately I have found .40 to be a bit snappy, never fired my G27, but fired a friends G23.

So... I now am looking for a new CCW gun. I am selling my Glock, so, what I get for the G27 is the absolute limit of my new gun budget. I am thinking 475-500.

I am slowly narrowing the choices down to a Kahr CW9, Ruger SR9, Taurus PT111, Taurus 709 and a Ruger LCP(but prefer 9mm over .380). I am also looking at an RIA compact 1911 (I love 1911's and I find Ican handle the push of a .45 easier than the snap of a .40).

So, any opinions on my choices? I am not a Glock guy, the ergonomics never worked for me. I really like the SR9 so far, got to handle one, but not fire it. Kahr is nice, but my wife would prefer if the gun had a manual safety, I have no opinion on a manual safety either way. The XD is kinda blocky for me, I had one a while back and it felt like a brick, and I had more weight on me back then, lol.

Anyway, Any opinions or ideas?

I apologize I know there are lots of the "help me choose" threads.
    Don't wait forever like I did. From what I've gathered the RIA 1911 is a very respectable firearm and the .45 caliber is all business even without JHPs. My vote would be for the 1911 RIA. JMO

Good luck to you and I'm sorry to hear about the medical condition, but congrats on the new baby.

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    To be honest, I think any of your choices are a "step down" from the G27. My first suggestion would be to try a one-for-one swap for a G26, but you have stated a preference to move away from Glock. I also didn't see M&P on your list - any particular reason why? I'd also look hard at CZ, and (on the smaller end, but you mentioned the LCP) the KT PF-9.
    I would trade straight across for a g26 or an m&p9c just as the man above mentioned. They are words of wisdom. Run from the bull!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Somewhere Near Lucky Ned Pepper's Hideout
    I'd go Kahr or Ruger. Really can't go wrong with either. I've heard good things about both of them. I like the looks of the Ruger SR9, especially the OD green model. Sweet.

The single stack Kahr only carries 7+1, but is more concealable than the Ruger, which has a capacity of 17 rounds. I think the SR9c is more comparable in size to the Kahr, with its 17 or 10 round capacity.

Now, if Ruger would only make an OD model in the SR9c, that would be perfection!

Keep the Taurus weapons OUT OF THE EQUATION. They are POS.

Plenty to choose from...

and I can vouch for the performance of the PT-709 from Taurus: much slimmer than the Glock, but still allows for a full-size feel. Very easy to CC, and I am pushing 400 rounds without a single failure of any kind...

However: if you didn't care for the GLock trigger, you won't like the Taurus PT-709 trigger at all, as it is almost a 2-stage trigger that pulls and pulls and then almost surpisingly finally engages. Once you get used to it, and use a straight and constant trigger pull, you will do fine, but it does take some adjustment to get familiar with it. It is a very popular model, and the early issues with extractors seems to have been resolved, but you will hear tons and tons of people saying to steer away from them. I think they are mis-guided as mine has been every bit as dependable and reliable as my Glocks.

Since money is an issue (seems to be for everyone anymore), why not hit your local GS and see what he will trade for it? He may have some used models that have been gathering dust, and the Glocks are always good sellers, so use that to your advantage and work out an even trade, and see if he will allow you a 48-hour window to test fire and make sure you like what you trading for.

The GLock is an A-list weapon: most of what you are looking at are B- and C-list weapons, so he is getting the best of the swap...make sure you love what you are willing to trade for!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links