Function report on my Sig P238...whata ye think?

This is a discussion on Function report on my Sig P238...whata ye think? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With all the function/non-function reports on the Sig P238, I finally got to the range with mine. Not really giving a range report as far ...

Thread: Function report on my Sig P238...whata ye think?

With all the function/non-function reports on the Sig P238, I finally got to the range with mine. Not really giving a range report as far as accuracy, that's never been an issue with these guns.

I really did not know what to expect. So, I carried several different brands of ammo.

First I fired Federal Hyda Shok 95gr. because that is what I intend on carrying loaded in the gun. Fired two mags of 6rds +1 in the pipe. Operated without a hiccup. I am :D

Next, fired two mags of Winchester JHP PDX, 6rds +1 in the pipe. Operated without a hiccup. I am :D

Next, fired two mags of Hornady Critical Defense JHP, 6rds +1 in the pipe. Operated without a hiccup. I am :D

So then tried some ball. Fired 50 rds of Aquila FMJ...out of the 50 I had a stove pipe every single mag of 7.

I would have thought it would be the JHP that would be the problem, but no, its the ball.

So, what do you think...should I send it back to Sig for check up or just fire the JHP that I intend to fire anyway?

As for the gun it's self...what a joy that little bugger is to fire.:p
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

JD
    Administrator
    What profile is the FMJ?

I know this sounds crazy, nor can I explain it but with my Mustang +II if I run ball, I have to download 1 round (just a full mag, no top off) for ball to run in it. JHPs run fine. I don't know what to make of it.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    What profile is the FMJ?

I know this sounds crazy, nor can I explain it but with my Mustang +II if I run ball, I have to download 1 round (just a full mag, no top off) for ball to run in it. JHPs run fine. I don't know what to make of it.
    Not sure what you mean by profile.

My Mustang will run through 7 rd mag with ball, no problem.
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

JD
    Administrator
    The shape of the projectile, flat nose or round?

imthduke,

Get yourself some Federal American Eagle, Winchester USA, and/or PMC FMJ. Bets are ALL of that FMJ ammo will work like a champ. The Aguilla and other "off" brands, like the Indonesian Herter's in my P238, may prove problematic. What I'm saying is that I'd bet good money your issue is with that ammo and NOT with your P238!

--Bob

DW CBOB + RZ45, Colt MKIV, CD EFS, P45C/T, BHP MKIII, FM M90, PT99AF, M681-1, 689, P238, MK678II

Quote Originally Posted by imthduke View Post
    With all the function/non-function reports on the Sig P238, I finally got to the range with mine. Not really giving a range report as far as accuracy, that's never been an issue with these guns.

I really did not know what to expect. So, I carried several different brands of ammo.

First I fired Federal Hyda Shok 95gr. because that is what I intend on carrying loaded in the gun. Fired two mags of 6rds +1 in the pipe. Operated without a hiccup. I am :D

Next, fired two mags of Winchester JHP PDX, 6rds +1 in the pipe. Operated without a hiccup. I am :D

Next, fired two mags of Hornady Critical Defense JHP, 6rds +1 in the pipe. Operated without a hiccup. I am :D

So then tried some ball. Fired 50 rds of Aquila FMJ...out of the 50 I had a stove pipe every single mag of 7.

I would have thought it would be the JHP that would be the problem, but no, its the ball.

So, what do you think...should I send it back to Sig for check up or just fire the JHP that I intend to fire anyway?

As for the gun it's self...what a joy that little bugger is to fire.:p
    Definitely the ammo, as your experience shows. No need to send it to Sig yet. I had all my issues with the Winchester 95gr flat point. The shape is the same as a HP actually, so it should have fed OK, according to your results. Then again, I did not have FEED problems, I had FTE (extract) problems. I also had some Win PDX, but did not attempt shooting it as my problem was extraction, not feed, and that PDX is pricey. I'll try it when I get my gun back.
    "I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders"
    Ted Nugent

VIP Member
    Ball ammo isn't the problem, it's Aquila FMJ ball ammo! You just have a gun with higher standards than some others.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    The shape of the projectile, flat nose or round?
    Round nose ball.

Distinguished Member
    I agree w/all on the ammo issue. I have an early production model 238 that I sent back for an overhaul. It wouldn't feed anything in FMJ with regularity and it just refused hollow points. I think you've got a good one that just doesn't like cheap ammo. Hopefully you can find something other than that, and maybe a fair amount. These Sigs are built pretty tight and require a healthy breakin. Keep shooting what feeds and break it in. My guess is that you'll be fine.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

The following is a C. Hawks info excerp on ammo(fwiw):

.380 ACP (9mm Short, 9x17mm, 9mm Kurz)

Now we're getting into some decent stopping power. The three or four best .380 JHP rounds have better stopping power than ANY bullet fired out of 2" barrel .38 Special snub-nose. All of the Big Five make good hollowpoints for this caliber. The Remington 88 grain JHP is the most reliably-feeding hollowpoint but slightly less effective than the Hydra-shok or Cor-Bon. Reliability is crucial, and thus you must test the rounds before carrying.

I recommend the following two cartridges above all others:

-Federal 90 gr. Hydra-shok (P380HS1 H) - the best standard-pressure .380 JHP load, period.
    -Cor-Bon 90 gr. JHP - the most powerful .380 hollowpoint, bar none.

These are the two best .380 loads, and I recommend them for these guns:
    SIG/Sauer P230, Beretta 84/85, Browning BDA, CZ-83, H&K P7K3, Walther PPK and PPK/s. The Russian, East German, Chinese and Bulgarian Makarov pistols are apparently perfectly reliable with the hot Cor-Bon, and the strong all-steel construction of these guns should stand up to an infinite amount of these potent rounds. I have heard that the Colt does also well with the hot Cor-Bon JHP, which you should definitely look into if you own a Colt .380. You have better stopping power than any .38 snub-nose revolver (the long-time favorite concealment sidearm) when you load your .380 with these two rounds.

Other good .380 ACP jacketed hollowpoints:

- Remington 102 gr. Golden Saber BJHP (GS380M) - Another excellent .380 load (the BJHP stands for "Brass Jacketed Hollow Point"), the heaviest one available. I prefer the Cor-Bon and Hydra-shok, but many (including Sanow) like this new Remington round for its deeper penetration. I'll stick with the Cor-Bon and Hydra-shok, but the choice is yours.
    - CCI-Speer 90 gr. Gold Dot JHP A good all-around hollowpoint.
    - Remington 88 gr. JHP (R380AI): A good high-velocity hollowpoint that feeds well in: Colt Government Model .380, H&K HK4, Taurus PT-58, older PP and PPK, Bersa .380, Beretta 70s, Makarov and Hungarian FEG. These are all good guns that might choke on other hollowpoints but they will probably feed the Remington fine. This hollowpoint was redesigned in 1993 and gives excellent performance while retaining its rounded shape for positive feeding. If your .380 chokes on other JHP loads, try fifty rounds of the Remington 88 gr. through your gun and see if it improves.

.380 ACP hollowpoints to avoid:

-Winchester 85 gr Silvertip (X380ASHP) I really cannot recommend this weak and jam-prone round. It works reliably in a few modern European guns (e.g. SIG 230, Beretta 84F), but every load named above offers better performance. The Silvertip will likely jam in any American-made .380 automatic. Russian .380 Makarovs and PPK series guns may jam with the Silvertip, as well. The .380 Silvertip was once state-of-the-art, but has since been superceded by superior designs. It is also quite expensive. Look elsewhere.
    - PMC-Eldorado Starfire 95 gr. JHP This round is similarly weak and jam-prone.
    - Federal 90 gr. JHP (380BP) (see below)
    - Hornady 90 gr. XTP-HP (9010) Both the Federal 380BP and the Hornady XTP-HP never expand and may jam many guns due to their truncated-cone bullet nose profiles. Pass by these two.

95 gr ball:

Davis P-380, Accu-Tek, EAA .380, Tanarmi, AMT/OMC/TDE "Back-Up," Heritage, FIE, Jennings, Bryco, Lorcin, Llama, or "other." Hollowpoints should never be used in these low-priced guns.
    Nice .380 by the way
    ------------------------
    "I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry" Barack Obama, Chicago Tribune 4/27/04

UPDATE:

Went to range again and fired about 100 rds....on FTE was a couple of Remington Express JHP 88gr.

I fired even the Monach ball (made in Spain)

Fired the Remington ball with no problem....for sure that Aquilla ammo is a no no.

Not sure if I want to send if back...I don't yet feel confident with it.

Sponsored Links