Advice Please - Sig 229 or 239 (9mm)

This is a discussion on Advice Please - Sig 229 or 239 (9mm) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My primary carry is a G23 or 27 and I'm thinking about adding a Sig to my collection. Since I've got the .40 world represented ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My primary carry is a G23 or 27 and I'm thinking about adding a Sig to my collection. Since I've got the .40 world represented nicely in my Glocks thinking I'd go 9mm in something new.

I saw the 229 and 239 in the SAS model today and think they're pretty sharp. Any thoughts on which way to go?

I'm also looking at a 239, think the SAS model is the one I will go with.
    Since most of my carry guns are in 9mm, I would like to try one in 357
    sig just to change thing up.

Locked out on a balcony of the Dark Tower...
    Picking my 239 9mm up july 2nd, i think anyone who has been watching the forum the past few days knows it and prob wants me to shut up about it
    IM SUPER PUMPED, !do the p239 and we can range report together!
    -thats not fair though, ive only handled a p228 and a p239 at this point. Do what feels right for you!
    All Day I Dream About Sigs

Administrator
    As much as I love my Sigs, I do not think you will carry a 229 very much if you are more accustomed to the Glock. Its a fantastic pistol, but I think you will get more use out of a 239.
    "Just blame Sixto"

<-----I carry a 228 just about every day. It's the same size as the 229; basically the earlier version. With the right holster, it's not hard to carry. I use a C-Tac, though I'm thinking of getting an M-Tac because the kydex on the C-Tac digs in when I sit.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

I carry both (either the 239 or a 229DAK) I like having the capacity of the 229, but frankly, overall, the 239 would be my choice if I had to limit it to one.

I added a Hogue rubber grip to increase the grip circumference of the 239 a little and it's perfect (for me anyway). And as an aside, despite what I've read, no problem with the rubber grip hanging up on cover garments.

Personally I think the 239 is a HUGE pistol for what you get.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by OldMick View Post
    I carry both (either the 239 or a 229DAK) I like having the capacity of the 229, but frankly, overall, the 239 would be my choice if I had to limit it to one.

I added a Hogue rubber grip to increase the grip circumference of the 239 a little and it's perfect (for me anyway). And as an aside, despite what I've read, no problem with the rubber grip hanging up on cover garments.
    I put the same grips on recently. I don't have any issues with cover garment either. Also, for the 228/229 9mm at least, mec-gar makes a 15 round mag. Not sure about the .40.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

I agree with Sixto...I carry a G23 EDC, and a P228 as a secondary when the 23 is not on my agenda. You would be better served with a 239, if you are a regular Glock carrier. Concealing the 228/9 is a different skill set than concealing a G23 or G27.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    I interchange between a 229 and 239 on a regular basis . One in a Kholster and one in a Don Hume.Both of mine are in .357sig. Don't let the glock boys scare you, they both carry quite easily.

I have a 239 in 9mm. This was my first gun, which I got when it first came out in the mid-90's, so I'm quite fond of it. It's great for IWB carry, although I've been mainly pocket carrying a PM9. But, I've been thinking about getting a 229 in .40 which seems like a great gun. So, I guess the best answer (as often stated on the forum) is get both!

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    There is really not that much difference in grip width between the P239 and P229. I must carry a double-stack .40 on duty, with the P229 being my choice of the several authorized pistols. (I must buy my own.) A while after buying my first P229, I almost bought a P239 for deeper concealment, then noticed that it was not small enough to really make a difference, so I bought a P229 SAS instead.

Later, I handled a P239 again, thinking about buying one, but bought, well, you probably guessed it, another P229 SAS.

BTW, I had Glocks before the SIG P229, including a G27 and a couple of G22s. I found a P229 easier to conceal than even a "baby" Glock, in my favored 0300 carry location. Glocks' slides protrude farther to the rear, and are more squared at the outside corners.

In deciding between a P239 and P229, do take into account the trigger stroke. A P239's trigger stroke ends closer to the palm of my hand, compared to a P229. I prefer the P229; I can HAUL that trigger back in a hurry, while maintaining accuracy. I am not so sure that would go so well with a P239. Keep in mind this is with MY hands; your hands may prefer the P239.

I've had both, and those who claim there's not much difference between the 229 and 239 must be confusing the 228 and 239. the 239 is much thinner and more comfortable than the 229, at least in my hands. I put Hogue grips on my 239 (had one in 9mm and one in .40, actually took my MN CCW test with the .40). It's a nice, compact size, especially compared to the 229 and it's easy to carry. I currently have a Smith & Wesson 3913 in 9mm that I dearly love, and it's slightly smaller than the 239, but I'm looking for another 239 in .40, and I can get a .357 Sig barrel for it and have two guns in one.

I don't think you can go wrong with a 239 in any caliber.
    Gary

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    I prefer glocks but also own a P229. I bought it when SIG first released the 229 so have lots of experience with it. It carries well and has been extremely dependable. It has a sweet SA trigger, the DA trigger is on the high side pounds wise but very smooth. It is a completely different firearm than a glock shooting and carrying. Not better or worse, just different, so see if you can get a hold of one from a friend etc......

I own and carry a 229 in 9mm as my duty weapon every day. I rarely carry open. The 229 is not that hard to carry concealed as long as you put thought into your clothing and get a good rig. I carry my duty weapon in a Skyops and off duty I carry a 220 carry in another Skyops holster. It's a wonderful rig but like the other have said, it is big.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links