Recoil reduction springs

Recoil reduction springs

This is a discussion on Recoil reduction springs within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I see there are products on the market designed to reduce recoil. One of them is a spring that replaces the stock spring in a ...

Thread: Recoil reduction springs

Recoil reduction springs

I see there are products on the market designed to reduce recoil. One of them is a spring that replaces the stock spring in a G26. Does anyone have experience with this? If my wife decides to carry it will likely be something subcompact in 9mm which by all accounts tend to have more recoil than say my G19.

Do these springs work as advertised? Are there other products claiming to reduce recoil?
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

I carried a Hart's Recoil Reducer (Hollow rod with mercury) a while back in a Beretta 92FS few years ago. It worked okay...nothing really spectacular for me to say: "Wow!"

I've been looking at Springco Recoil Reducers Sprinco USA -- Recoil Reducers but, like you I'm kinda looking for opinions of others that have used it.
    "Someday someone may kill you with your own gun but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty."

"Leave the gun, take the cannoli."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Reducing the recoil can create a whole new list of problems. Most pistols are designed to operate at X to Y pounds of recoil. That's why many have problems with El Cheapo brand ammo that lacks umph to operate the firearm correctly.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Luis50 View Post
    I see there are products on the market designed to reduce recoil. One of them is a spring that replaces the stock spring in a G26. Does anyone have experience with this? If my wife decides to carry it will likely be something subcompact in 9mm which by all accounts tend to have more recoil than say my G19.

Do these springs work as advertised? Are there other products claiming to reduce recoil?
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Reducing the recoil can create a whole new list of problems. Most pistols are designed to operate at X to Y pounds of recoil. That's why many have problems with El Cheapo brand ammo that lacks umph to operate the firearm correctly.
    A lot of this is true. Deviating from factory specs or engineering is pretty much playing on your own and messing with what's designed and intended for optimal function per the manufacturer. Marketing tactics can lead some into a downward spiral in search of something they will not find backed up by technical paper work and engineers that couldn't cut it working for and designing for major manufacturers. Recoil reduction is mostly a mind game and it starts with the end user becoming dependent on others to somehow make up for what's lacking due to lack of personal perseverance, practice, or training. Aftermarket companies thrive on the ideas that folks are looking for an alternative...they don't care what reasons, and they don't care to let one stray away from the basics because it means sales to them and that's the bottom line. Start taking care of things yourself, and quit throwing money away on the snake oil. Recoil reduction? In my book that means one of two things. Either a firmer grip and form, or a different pistol. Spend your hard earned money on ammo and practice instead. My 2

Administrator
    The Sprinco is pretty good since the secondary recoil reducing spring does not "kick in" or have any effect at all until after the chambered round is ejected.
    I have tried them & the ones that I have tried functioned fine.
    The 1911 Sprinco & the Commander Sprinco cause it to be difficult to manually lock the slide back.
    It takes a certain knack but, once you get the hang of it it's OK.
    Not sure how much of a problem that is but, you should be made aware of that fact.

The Harrts Mercury Filled recoil reducer is/was best in my opinion but, sadly they are not being made anymore since Mr. Harrt passed away.
    They have not been made for years now.
    They were beautifully machined by him.
    Even though I am not recoil sensitive I have one installed in my SIG/Browning BDA .45acp. because it does make "shot to shot" recovery faster and cuts down on muzzle rise & the pistol uses a guide rod anyway...so it might as well be a Mercury filled one.
    The Harrts worked on the principle of a portion of the generated recoil forces being eaten up shattering the metallic Mercury.
    There are also three Stainless ball bearings in the Mercury to help that along. I have never heard of a Harrts recoil reducer leaking Mercury...they are so incredibly well fabricated.
    They used to pop up on Ebay every once in a while and possibly still do sporadically.
    They originally sold for around $80.00 when they were available (which was not cheap back then) and in my opinion are worth the price just for the decreased muzzle rise alone.

For a GLOCK I would just go with a heavy solid Tungsten Carbide guide rod - since the recoil dampening effect is about the same as the Sprinco and there are no extra parts...just dead weight concentrated out front.

Administrator
    Sorry. Hafta slightly disagree with you this time there Ram Rod.

For instance on the Glock the pistol uses a guide rod anyway and there is nothing so absolutely incredible about the Glock factory guide rod that it cannot be switched out for a heavier, quality manufactured, aftermarket part constructed of extremely dense Tungsten Carbide.
    There is nothing about switching out one simple one piece Guide rod for another one of the identical specs that would in any way affect functional reliability.

Regarding the Sprinco however - I understand that they work best when the springs are Sprinco tailored to the exact round the shooter is intending to use.
    Shooters that compete professionally with the Sprinco recoil reducing system installed take advantage of the fact that Sprinco is willing to fabricate a unit with the exact spring weights for a specific cartridge.

The Sprinco works by basically slowing up and buffering the slide just before it fully impacts to the rear. The chambered round has already been ejected prior to that happening and then the feed is basically identical to having a standard recoil spring installed.

True though - we are talking about slight recoil reduction advantages here.
    Do not believe that any recoil reduction system will cut felt recoil in half but, there are slight advantages.
    I'm not really sure how advantageous a Sprinco would prove out to be on a self-defense carry firearm.
    Honestly there is no real reason that a recoil system like the Sprinco couldn't be factory installed by Glock save for the fact that it would increase the retail price of the pistol by at least $60.00 since they are not cheap to manufacture.

In fact H&K pistols use a factory installed recoil spring system that is identical to the Sprinco.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Addition: The reason that I am not crazy about 1911 guide rod recoil reducers is that the 1911 does not need to use any guide rod. And NO guide rod is better than any guide rod (in my opinion)
    But, if a pistol needs to use a guide rod then one that actually does SOMETHING/anything rather than nothing is better.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Sorry. Hafta slightly disagree with you this time there Ram Rod.

For instance on the Glock the pistol uses a guide rod anyway and there is nothing so absolutely incredible about the Glock factory guide rod that it cannot be switched out for a heavier, quality manufactured, aftermarket part constructed of extremely dense Tungsten Carbide.
    There is nothing about switching out one simple one piece Guide rod for another one of the identical specs that would in any way affect functional reliability.
    You can disagree with me any time you'd like. That's what makes this forum great. The ability to question. Kind of like checks and balances in our government. While I agree on some of your points, I've had experience with others that haven't worked. Matter of fact, jammed up the sub-compact Glock real good with the spring coming out the hole over the end of the rod. One does have to be careful in selecting anything aftermarket. Find an aftermarket part with identical specs to OEM for me. I'm here solely to lend my experience. Between competition and carry. I've tested a lot of foreign things to supplement function in one form or another, and I can honestly say...never second guess the original manufacturer on parts for your concealed carry specific sidearm. It's a gamble you might not want to take....your life hanging in the balance. Again...if there's something you feel lacking in your choice for concealed carry, then it's time to do one of two things...........train and practice more with what you have and get it to work for you, or get something different. I'd personally test out more options on the 1911 and be more confident in their outcomes than I would a Glock pistol. Two entirely different animals. Truth be told, I like the non captive guide rods in my competition Glocks. All steel, and a quick downgrade to a lighter spring which will lessen the overall felt recoil while slowing down the cycle. A malfunction at the range while shooting steel may cost you a max of 30 seconds. Shooting to save your life could cost you more than time. I'm saying don't depend on aftermarket parts in your carry pistol no matter what. It's always a second guess when you do.

Distinguished Member
    This is probably not what you were thinking to discuss......BUT

Has she tried shooting gloves with the gel inserts for the web of the hand? I've been using these with gigantic results to lessen felt recoil (i.e. they let me shoot a variety of guns without getting hand ouch).

I use them for practice, yes, and I get that I won't have them on for the one moment of defensiveness that I might need them, but it allows me to practice and develop confidence and caliber without the ouch.

As for trying to reduce recoil, I would think that recoil is your friend to some extent, esp for a woman who might limp wrist a gun due to less strength.

But what do I know, this is just talk.

Administrator
    That's an interesting option cammo girl and is certainly not off topic to this thread.
    Another option for felt recoil reduction and less muzzle rise is Mag-Na-Port and I am aware of all of the arguments against increased noise and expelled gasses but, that is a somewhat overblown argument especially for Mag-Na-Port porting which is EDMed to direct gasses to the sides & forward away from the shooter.
    Porting by Mag-Na-Port would be the only barrel porting system that I would even consider.

Links