Walther PPS .380 ?

Walther PPS .380 ?

This is a discussion on Walther PPS .380 ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Am looking at a new Walther PPS 380 (not PPK) and wondered how recent buyers like this gun. Is it reliable? Any problems. Opinions from ...

Thread: Walther PPS .380 ?

Walther PPS .380 ?

Am looking at a new Walther PPS 380 (not PPK) and wondered how recent buyers like this gun. Is it reliable? Any problems. Opinions from owners appreciated.

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    The PPS is not available .380, it is sold in 9mm and .40 caliber. There is a Walther pk380, but it is a different gun.

As far as opinions, I have a master plan to procure a 9mm version myself in the not too distant future.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

If you are talking about the PK380, I've never shot one, I did handle one and while the ergo's are nice, as most reviewers have pointed out the build quality feels a little...eh.

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by CCWFlaRuger View Post
    The PPS is not available .380, it is sold in 9mm and .40 caliber. There is a Walther pk380, but it is a different gun.

As far as opinions, I have a master plan to procure a 9mm version myself in the not too distant future.
    I recently shot a PPS 9mm, and I can tell you that if you get one of them you will very soon forget your Ruger; the trigger is so much sweeter! IMO they play in totally different divisions.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Administrator
    Go for the PPS in 9.

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by gold40 View Post
    Am looking at a new Walther PPS 380 (not PPK) and wondered how recent buyers like this gun. Is it reliable? Any problems. Opinions from owners appreciated.

Compare the dimensions of the PPS and the PK. IMO, unless you specific want a .380 there is not reason to why getting the PK and not the PPS. The PPS is more expensive to buy, but the ammo is cheaper. I do not own a PPS and for that reason I cannot tell you much about it; I just shot a few mags with it. However, it was enough to really like the pistol. There are several threads in DC about the PPS. Good luck deciding which gun to get .

Walther PPS

Caliber: 9mm
    Total length 6.34 in. / 161 mm
    Height 4.41 in. / 112 mm
    Width (Slide) .91 in. / 23 mm
    Barrel length 3.19 in. / 81 mm
    Weight incl. magazine 1.33 lbs. / 605 g

Walther PK380

Caliber: .380 ACP
    Overall Length: 6.5"
    Height: 5.2"
    Width: 1.2"
    Barrel Length: 3.66"
    Weight (w/mag): 19.4 oz.

Go with the PPS.
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

The PK380 doesn't seem to be designed for concealed carry. It's really bulky. Otherwise, Walther would've conformed to the PPS engineering, instead of something that was more in line with their fullsize 9mm .40 options.

What the PK380 excels at is to provide a solid platform, low-recoil pistol option for home defense.
    Nothing unreal exists

jyo
    My PPS (9mm) runs 100% and shoots quite well for a 'small' pistol---I can recommend them.

all of these guys are right, go with the PPS. I cant think of one good reason to carry a 380 when you can carry a superior gun in 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    I recently shot a PPS 9mm, and I can tell you that if you get one of them you will very soon forget your Ruger; the trigger is so much sweeter! IMO they play in totally different divisions.
    What I won't forget is the beautiful and forceful recoil of the .45... I'm not sure that anything less would feel as civilized!
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

GM
    What I won't forget is the beautiful and forceful recoil of the .45... I'm not sure that anything less would feel as civilized!
    I was not referring to the caliber, but to the pistol itself; wait only until you try something else, then you will understand.

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    I was not referring to the caliber, but to the pistol itself; wait only until you try something else, then you will understand.
    I wasn't arguing, my reply was partly tongue in cheek, but I do appreciate the candor. I know I should broaden my horizons, but I tend to be a bit stubborn and habit bound sometimes.

(Sorry, Gold40, not trying to hijack your thread)

Thanks for the good input GM.
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

GM
    I wasn't arguing, my reply was partly tongue in cheek, but I do appreciate the candor. I know I should broaden my horizons, but I tend to be a bit stubborn and habit bound sometimes.

(Sorry, Gold40, not trying to hijack your thread)

Thanks for the good input GM.

Like I said before I do not own a PPS, but I have been looking at them for a while now, and recently I had the opportunity to shoot one. Although I am a SA guy I really liked that pistol; and I did not have any problems with the backstrap which many people worry about. If you get a PPS I am positive that you will not regret it .

Links