To GP100 or not to ???

This is a discussion on To GP100 or not to ??? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A used GP100 is available to me for an asking price of $450 * This would be my 1st handgun purchase * I see them ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To GP100 or not to ???

To GP100 or not to ???

A used GP100 is available to me for an asking price of $450 * This would be my 1st handgun purchase * I see them all day long from $400 to $450 used * I'm told the grip has the rosewood wraped in rubber and next week I'll be handling her * 1st consideration is do I want a .357 now * It would be good to have at the homestead * I've fired two .357z only to find the recoil a bit too much * All things being relative I don't know what ammo we were using * Though that day I fired his .45 Colt Commander (I think that's what it's called, sorry I'm not a gun guy "yet") and it was smooth resulting in some acceptable tight clusters
    I work with the owner so I'm confident about answers to my questions * What would be important to ask and what should I look for?? Comments appreciated.
    Last edited by danlct; June 26th, 2010 at 09:05 AM.

2. Remove Ads

I have a GP100, along with other semi auto guns. The GP100 is solid. That's good, but I wouldn't want to carry it on me all day. I leave it loaded at home in a safe with defensive .38 +P. I don't love it, but i hesitate to sell it because i like having a revolver around. I tried a couple of my friend's different S&W revolvers.. and the S&W revolver triggers are really smooth. Much nicer than that of the GP100. Overall, the GP100 is very good for the price, IMHO.

I just noticed there's another thread you might want to read:
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...p100-pics.html

btw, the weight of the gun will help with the recoil.

I can buy a new one here for $469. So, to me a used one for $450 wouldn't be worth it.

Secondly, go with the .357 ! Even if all you ever shoot is .38's , if you ever want to sell it then it will have a wider market and be easier to sell. If you decide to start shooting .357's, you have the gun already.

That's a great revolver, but that is almost what they run new. If you can get it for 400, it would be a decent deal.
    "People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." ó Benjamin Franklin

Locked out on a balcony of the Dark Tower...
    it would be hard to resist a gp100 at that price
    bought mine spankin new at MC Sports for $550 with hogue cobblestone grips. Invested the 80 bucks on nice sexy Tulipwood grips...
    All Day I Dream About Sigs

I have many weapons...but truly love my 3 inch barrel GP100!

It all comes down to going down the dark holes after monsters. Thatís what itís all about; when everyone else is huddled around the campfire, somebody has to go out and fight.

If you think the .357 is too much for you, try the Remington Golden Saber .357 loads. They are somewhat lower velocity, but are the softest .357 I've ever shot.

I'd go for it. I just got a GP100 brand new and it was $548 out the door after tax, and I think i got a decent deal.

If .357 is too much for you just shoot .38 special in it all day. If you are not planning on using it as a concealed carry weapon, I think it is a great platform (it will last forever, and will need little maintenance) and an even better gun for a first time gun owner.

Thnx for responses u all * It will be interesting to see what length of barrel I'll be looking at next week * But a new 1 for $469 =s Where is that and plus S&H right * I can't see pay'n more than $400...........thnx

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I would pay a somewhat higher price for a GP100 that did not need trigger work. This does not mean I want to buy one that has been subject to amateur gunsmithing! A few years ago, about the time the 4" Redhawk was introduced, Ruger's revolver assembly guys seemed to learn something about really fitting the action parts together. Before this point, most Rugers would be rough, with a few smooth ones. Now the good ones are proportionately much more prevalent, with a few rough ones.

The best readily-available guide I have seen on the internet, to picking a good DA sixgun, is at The High Road (dot) org, in a sticky post at the top of the Revolvers forum. I don't think it is polite to post a direct link(?).

As for my opinion on the GP100 in general, well, if I could own only one handgun, it would be a 4" GP100. If I could own only one firearm, it would still be a GP100, though I would consider a longer barrel. (I need to factor out my job, where I must use a .40 autopistol; I would not want my only firearm to be a .40 pistol.) Yes, I have concealed 4" sixguns, in the coastal Texas climate, year 'round. Such a weapon is not my first choice for concealed carry, but it is feasible.

Some of my affection for the GP100 is certainly due to it being the weapon I used to defend myself and others one summer night.

My avatar is a rare 3" adjustable-sight GP100.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Ok Dan. Let's get down to the brass here.

How old is the weapon?
    Where has he/she kept it store?
    How many or approximate rounds have gone through it?
    Have you see it yet? What's the condition of it?

I have two GP100s, one 4 inch that I've had for years (1996/97?) and it seen it fair share of rounds through it, but it's been cleaned, tuned and safe kept during that time and if I would sell her, probably not more then $300.00 and she's in dang good condition (picture below)

Last edited by Guardian; June 26th, 2010 at 05:00 PM. Reason: wording
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    It's all about what your intended purpose is. Most people prefer semi-autos for carry because they're *usually* lighter and have a higher capacity. But on the other hand, it's practically impossible to beat the reliability of a revolver.

I've had a GP100 for 20 years and they're as good as a revolver can get.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

This thread has inspired me to take some quick pics of mine. It's currently wearing a set of Pachmeyr's, but on the very rare occasion I actually carry it, I'll switch back to the factory round-butt concealment grip.

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    A few years ago, about the time the 4" Redhawk was introduced, Ruger's revolver assembly guys seemed to learn something about really fitting the action parts together. Before this point, most Rugers would be rough, with a few smooth ones. Now the good ones are proportionately much more prevalent, with a few rough ones.
    No Kidding. I bought mine in 1991 and if you look up "rough" in the dictionary, there's a picture of my trigger. I love the gun but it's not the sweetest trigger action.

-miklcolt45

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links