Very Conflicted on what to do...

This is a discussion on Very Conflicted on what to do... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wow, its been a long time since I have been on & active here. I have been so sidetracked with life lately and my computer ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Very Conflicted on what to do...

Very Conflicted on what to do...

Wow, its been a long time since I have been on & active here. I have been so sidetracked with life lately and my computer time has become almost zero (but smartphone time has grown 10 fold). Recently I have been very conflicted on my defensive carry weapon of choice and decided to get some feedback from the wealth of knowledge on here.

Here is my situation; I own and carry the G19 - I love this gun. It is the perfect weight, size to carry for me. I also own the XD in the .40 (with a 9mm conversion barrel). I have been spending a great deal of time practicing my draw, rapid shot placement, target acquisition and rapid shooting at multiple targets.

I have found that I am much more proficient with the XD at target acquisition and accuracy. However the G19 is the better size, more comfortable, and not as "bulky" as the XD. The G19 also stands up to wear and tear of carrying better than the XD (don't get me wrong, the XD is one tough gun, but the Glocks are just a bit tougher).

So, do I change my carry gun? I firmly believe it is the grip angle on the Glock that affects my accuracy and speed. Do I trade one in to find one that is a compromise of the two? (I hate to get rid of one, but the law in the house is quantity can't go up.)

Years ago I was at a range a gentleman claimed his gun was "bad" and he let me shoot it to test it out. It was a Sig in a 9mm (I don't remember model number, but maybe the P229 or the P226). That gun was the sweetest thing - just holding it my hand I knew there was something "different" about it. To the owners dismay - that gun worked perfectly the accuracy came so naturally to me. I have dreamed about one ever since! Do I dare trade one in for it? Is there another one that would be a good compromise between the XD and the G19?
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

2. Remove Ads

My opinion - carry the gun you are the most effective with. XD's and Glock's are close to the same size, with comparative models.

Concealment has so much more to do with the gear you use to carry your pistols with than the pistols themselves.

I know where you're coming from. I hung up the government model 1911 in lue of a better option for ME, which still throws a lot of my buddies for a loop since I've always been the single action, steel frame guy in our group. And I've tried a lot of pistols, and carried many, and kept reaching back to a 1911, period.

Heck, give this a read.

The #1 Compact, Full Size, and Modified M&P Pistol Source :: MP-Pistol.com
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

I would agree that the XD's and Glocks are close to the same size - the small differences being the grip is a bit longer on the XD, and the slize/muzzed circumference is larger on the XD. This the XD feel much more bulky. I have carried for years, and my extensive practice lately has really made me question my gun of choice.

My question is also an internal conflict being "Do I carry the XD and just give myself time to let my muscle memory and the feel of the gun become part of me?"

Or is the real question "Am I looking for an excuse to get a Sig, and maybe find a way to get one without trading?"

Oh.. gees - I guess I need to go back to the range to sort this all out.

Carry what your comfortable with. I switch between 3 guns for daily carry depending on what I am doing, how I am dressed or whatever.

If the guns all function the same way, IE safety works the same way on off, or no safety at all, like the Glock or XD, simply point and shoot, then your not setting yourself up for disaster when you point and pull the trigger and have forgotten to do something.

Good luck, I say keep and carry both if you like them.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    Sig in almost any form is an excellent choice. The XD and G19 are also excellent choices. Big dilema. Is your XD compact or full-size? Are you comparing apples to apples here?

When you say that you see significant differences between the two, how much are we talking about here? .10 of a second on splits, .01 of a second? Accuracy within a couple of inches at speed, or are you hitting some one elses target?

If the G19 isn't up to par, would more practice help? If not and the XD is better, dump the Glock (there, it was hard but I said it).

Now you just need to decide if you are looking for an excuse to buy a Sig!

Good luck!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

The XD is the 4 inch barrel - the size is as close as you can get to the G19. Its just feels heavier and bulkier. The XD is around 29 ounces where the G19 is about 23. 6 ounces may not be that big but I sure notice it after years of the G19 in the holster.

Speed - I don't know the exact timing speed - but I notice it. Its in target acquisition, not in draw. With the XD my sights line up perfectly without any readjustment almost every time - the G19 I have to find the front sight and adjust my grip angle to get the sights lined up. So I really notice it every time.

Accuracy - from the same distance the XD is about 25-30% smaller groupings than the G19. So - that say's carry the XD. But dang - its heavier, bulkier and and I am more aware of the discomfort when carrying it. (Identical make/model of holsters, just one for the G19, the other for the XD.) The crazy part is that I practice the most with the G19. Its my currently my carry gun so I put several hundred rounds through it each week. But dang it, I pick up the XD once every couple of weeks, put 50 rounds down range and I shake my head as to why I do so much better with it.

Don't get me wrong - either gun is ideal for carry, and I could defend myself with either one. I am just looking for my BEST option.

VIP Member
    The Sig (in any form) is a superior gun to any Glock or XD IMO.

My advice would be to sell/trade both to get the Sig.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Sell both? That ain't happening! If the rule in the house is quantity can't go up, I am sure as blazes not going to decrease it. If I decrease the quantity, the rule still applies. Hence, I will be stuck with gun less.

Practice with the Glock until you are as good with it as you are with the XD. But it sounds like you've got Sig fever and there is no cure except a new pistol purchase. I have a Glock G19 and a Sig P228 and I have to say that these are the two pistols that I would never get rid of.

You may not be aware of it, but you have already made a choice.

You have already stated several times that you shoot better with the XD than the GLock, and your dream gun was the Sig. Your heart just wants to stay with the Glock and XD, but your head is telling you to make the switch to the Sig.

Life is too short, my friend. Sell both of them and get the Sig that you want. You only need one CC weapon that you are truly in love with, enjoy shooting, and are proficient with. It seems for you, to be the Sig.

Quit over-analyzing, find the Sig you want, and work a trade or sell your inventory for the Sig.

I used to have the same love affair with the S&W 3-inch model 19... still love it, but no longer own it because I shoot the GLocks much better, have better ammo capacity with them, and am much better equipped with the Glocks than the S&W....even tho I will always love the model 19.

how about...a metal frame glock? its expensive and heavy...but it changes the angle...and sinces its heaver, recoil is alot more managable =]

Find a place where you can shoot the Sig 1 more time * Bring your XD with you AND have some fun........At the end of the session you'll have your answer if you really do better all around with that Sig-dream * But either way the Glock goes to the highest bidder unless you develop a bargaining strategy on the home front to up the number of self-defense toys you keep =s lol

I don't really like the XD's..they are bulkier, I find them unattractive, and although I know a lot of people use them and find them reliable...they don't have quite the same level of reputation as a Sig or a Glock.

Some things to consider about the Sig,

* You'll have to forget about .45 ACP. I think it's a toss up between stopping power when it comes to .45 ACP or .357 sig but the .45 gives you less recoil and the .357 gives you better barrier penetration. If you're just going to use 9mm anyway then this is a non-issue.

* Trigger pull isn't going to be quite as nice on the Sig as the Glock. Longer reset and you have that mushier start with DA/SA trigger. If this is an issue you might want to spend some time researching the many SIG trigger options/mods, like DAK or SAO.

* Unlike the Glock it's got polygonal rifling which may be a good or bad thing depending on your opinion. The polygonal rifling gives you a miniscule advantage in powder efficiency/accuracy, but the grooved rifling means you can shoot cheap lead reloads for practice without needing to buy a 2nd barrel.

* I think the bore axis is a bit higher on the Sig, which is a little worse for recoil. But it's also heavier, which is better for recoil control.

Sigs are a bit pricier, but if you've got a limit on the number of guns you can have, you might as well get the good ones. The Sig is a lot prettier than your XD. I'd say trade in the XD and get a Sig.
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

Which one can you move and point shoot with better? That is the one I would keep. Not the one that punches paper better from a stationary position.

Practice with both, but carry the one you think is going to save your life when shtf.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links