S&W M&P - Manual Thumb Safety Questions

This is a discussion on S&W M&P - Manual Thumb Safety Questions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Some of this may have gotten lost in my other thread. For those of you that have the M&P 45 Compact (or I suppose ANY ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar

Some of this may have gotten lost in my other thread. For those of you that have the M&P 45 Compact (or I suppose ANY M&P) with manual thumb safety, can I get some input on the following?

I've read in some places that the safety is too easy to click off by accident. Anyone have input on this? If this is the case, is there a way to stiffen it up?

I've seen where a few people removed the right-side safety paddle with a Dremel tool, thus making it a non-ambi. I assume you removed the safety for doing this? Does it leave a hole of some sort on the right side that will need to be filled?

Thanks.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    I did this.. (dremel tool), no hole needs to be filled the safety still works and it doesn't "click off super easy" although if you bump it hard enough at just the right angle yes it will. But that was before I took the right side off. Now it rests against my body in the holster and doesn't click off unless I make it.

If your looking for an M&P I suggest NOT getting it with the thumb safety as it is truly NOT needed. The only reason I cut mine off is so I could put the crimson trace laser grip on the side. And I was not informed enough on why my EDC should NOT have a manual safety on it at the time of purchase.

I due strongly suggest an M&P and a good holster to go with it. Carry on.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    I did this.. (dremel tool), no hole needs to be filled the safety still works and it doesn't "click off super easy" although if you bump it hard enough at just the right angle yes it will. But that was before I took the right side off. Now it rests against my body in the holster and doesn't click off unless I make it.

If your looking for an M&P I suggest NOT getting it with the thumb safety as it is truly NOT needed. The only reason I cut mine off is so I could put the crimson trace laser grip on the side. And I was not informed enough on why my EDC should NOT have a manual safety on it at the time of purchase.

I due strongly suggest an M&P and a good holster to go with it. Carry on.
    I guess I'm stubborn, but I really prefer the manual thumb safety.

As for the details, was it tough to remove the safety for this Dremel job?

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    I guess I'm stubborn, but I really prefer the manual thumb safety.

As for the details, was it tough to remove the safety for this Dremel job?

Nope took more time for me to call S&W, find out it would take 3 weeks for them to do it, cost me $60, then the guys said it WOULD NOT void the warranty if I did it. So he told me what to do.

popped the slide off, made it easier, took 2 mins tops. looks fine I love it, it took me 8 months to realize I needed to cut it off.

Have someone hold it, and use good lighting it makes it a breeze

[/B]

Nope took more time for me to call S&W, find out it would take 3 weeks for them to do it, cost me $60, then the guys said it WOULD NOT void the warranty if I did it. So he told me what to do.

popped the slide off, made it easier, took 2 mins tops. looks fine I love it, it took me 8 months to realize I needed to cut it off.

Have someone hold it, and use good lighting it makes it a breeze
    If I may bug you with one more question....when I look in there, will it be obvious how the safety comes out?

-miklcolt45

no.. not really I thought about taking the whole thing out but that requires alot of disassembly. not that I don't trust myself, but seeing how this is my EDC, I'm not taking any chances... I'll try and post some pictures or maybe a video for you within the next week.

one more thing You can cut it off or a local gunsmith then take it in and have the local gunsmith put a little black cap on it too if it bugs you that much.

no.. not really I thought about taking the whole thing out but that requires alot of disassembly. not that I don't trust myself, but seeing how this is my EDC, I'm not taking any chances... I'll try and post some pictures or maybe a video for you within the next week.

one more thing You can cut it off or a local gunsmith then take it in and have the local gunsmith put a little black cap on it too if it bugs you that much.
    So you did it with the safety still intact? That actually sounds like a better plan to me.

-miklcolt45

I have one on my M&P .45 and don't mind it a bit. It's a lot easier to disengage the safety on the M&P compared to my 1911.

Plus, I carried a 1911 for years, so a manual safety isn't a big deal. I think I'm just use to it.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Senior Moderator
    I'm very close to purchasing (i.e. making the decision to purchase) an M&P .45ACP full size. The two things I want on it is the thumb safety and the mag safety.

I realize I will be in the minority on the mag safety, but I see many benefits to it, have read many reports of them being advantageous, and have yet to read of any harm or foul as a result of the mythical 'one more thing to fail' claim. I have it on my 9mm M&P and wouldn't have it any other way. Just one example: there are times I can't take my gun with me, hospitals, drivers license, the contraversial post office, schools, etc. That leaves the choice of unloading the gun - a lot of handling in public place, and then the reverse when I return to the car - more handling in a public area. OTOH, with the mag safety, I can remove the mag, THEN pull the gun from the holster, place the gun where ever, take the mag with me and I'm done. If someone breaks into the car, they'll have an inert gun that can't even fire one shot at a time. When I return, I holster the gun, and then reinstall the mag.

The only other choice is to leave a fully loaded, ready to go, gun unattended in a car. But I'm drifting here.

As for the thumb safety, granted - 'need-wise', it's a mind backup, but then, what's wrong with having a backup? Plus, one doesn't have to carry with the safety on; I won't in fact. But if I want to remove the gun from the holster for non-shooting purposes, say to install a light on the rail, I can engage the thumb safety as a backup. Installing a rail light/laser requires a motion towards the trigger, a slip and ...
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Ah, the old thumb safety debate...

Somewhere on here recently an account was posted of an officer who was killed because he forgot to disengage the thumb safety on his 1911. His knuckles turned white trying to pull the trigger.

"Safeties" of any kind are double edged swords. Sometimes they can save you, and sometimes they can kill you.

The mag safety that renders your gun inoperable during a take-away can also render your gun inoperable if you drop your mag during a struggle, meaning you can't fire the one shot in the chamber.

Personally, I want my pistol to be as simple as possible - like a revolver. Point and shoot. No thumb safety, no grip safety, no mag disconnect - none of that.

YMMV.
    Last edited by 10thmtn; June 27th, 2010 at 08:35 AM. Reason: spelling
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member
    I've always been a 1911 guy so I'm a safety guy as well. But I played w/a couple M&P's prior to buying (45 ms) and the safety requires a breath of air and it's off. Much too light. So I bought one without a safety and now I know that safety is not on. Don't have one. I'm the safety.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Ah, the old thumb safety debate...

Somewhere on here recently an account was posted of an officer who was killed because he forgot to disengage the thumb safety on his 1911. His knuckles turned white trying to pull the trigger.

"Safeties" of any kind are double edged swords. Sometimes they can save you, and sometimes they can kill you.
    Real world stats just don't support that safeties are a double edged sword. There have been many reports, Mas et al, of safeties saving lives many more times than they have caused an undesireable outcome.

Safeties are used on 1911s by LEO, spec ops, civilians, Feds, SWAT, etc. and they are not having thumb safety issues. Of course there could be an occassional mishap that results in a undesireable outcome. But if it were not for a thumb safety on a 1911, one could not take advantage of the super SAO trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    ...The mag safety that renders your gun inoperable during a take-away can also render your gun inoperable if you drop your mag during a struggle, meaning you can't fire the one shot in the chamber.
    Again there have been numerous reports, Mas et al, even a long time LEO posting here that have seen numerous benefits of the mag safety, even to the extent of saving lifes in a struggle. I can't recall a single incident where the mag safety caused a negative outcome in a gunfight.

Even if there are a few, there are so many more positive outcomes.

The Chattanooga Police have used mag safeties in their handguns for probably 40 years, and I have yet to hear of a mag safety causing a negative outcome. In fact, I haven't even heard an officer dissatisfied with it.

the m&p's thumb safety is more mushy than a 1911's, and the engagement/disengagement is not as discernible. just something to consider.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Glock View Post
    the m&p's thumb safety is more mushy than a 1911's, and the engagement/disengagement is not as discernible. just something to consider.
    Yep, a mushy safety could be problematic and IF it were enough so, I would be reluctant to have it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Glock View Post
    Oh boy thats a show stopper!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links