New to Carrying, almost at +1

This is a discussion on New to Carrying, almost at +1 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've only been carrying for about a month and just had some quick questions. Any insight would be appreciated. I'm at the point where my ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New to Carrying, almost at +1

I've only been carrying for about a month and just had some quick questions. Any insight would be appreciated.

I'm at the point where my carrying is comfortable, I think I'm concealing properly and have no issue cc'ing in public. The next step is going +1.

How long did it take you carry +1 for those who were new to carry? FWIW, both pistols are without safeties and have good, safe holsters.

For pistols that are cc only, do you ever unchamber at night? Do you always unholster every night?

I carry two most every day and have been for 5 years.

Any carry gun is ALWAYS loaded and if I need to remove the gun the holster comes off with it. They would go into my handgun safe so any gun I pull from it is hot. All carry mags are fully loaded and I do not rotate mags or unload them unless I fire them (mags wear out only when they are loaded and unloaded a lot).

Hope this helps.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Are you referring to +1 as adding a round to the magazine after you put a round in the chamber, or are you refering to putting a round in the chamber as being +1?

Anyway, if it is a modern pistol, it is going to have some type of safety, even if it doesn't have an external safety (lever that is). It may be the trigger has a safety, or some other feature.

If you keep your booger hook off the bang switch, no modern functioning firearm is going to go off without the holder doing so. No need to unload the gun at night if your keeping it in a safe place away from children or other people who aren't supposed to have access.

Stay safe, and eventually you won't think anything about it.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by GlockLobster View Post
    How long did it take you carry +1 for those who were new to carry? FWIW, both pistols are without safeties and have good, safe holsters. ?
    - I carried a Glock with a round loaded in the chamber the first day I bought it. As long as you have a good holster, there should be no chance of a ND. Make sure you practice your draw and always keep your finger out of the trigger guard.

For pistols that are cc only, do you ever unchamber at night?
    - Absolutely not. You do not want to repeatedly chamber the same round. This can lead to bullet setback, which can be very dangerous.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...gold-dots.html

Do you always unholster every night?
    - I always unholster and put my firearms in a safe. You don't want to leave a firearm in its holster all of the time. It's not good for either.

Congrats on getting comfortable. Don't worry too much, most people will never notice you have your gun on you. I started off +1 with a full mag from the start. I figure if i ever get to the point where I need to defend myself, I probably wont have time to draw, chamber a round, and get on target. My primary carry gun is a Glock that I carry in an IWB holster. As long as the trigger is covered, pretty much no chance of it going off if you are worried about that. At night the gun/holster come off together and the gun remains loaded +1 in the holster. Less chance of an accident the less you mess with it.

los
    I think the OP is referring to a BUG.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Somewhere Near Lucky Ned Pepper's Hideout
    What is your EDC?

Thanks All. I should of worded the post a little better. I trust the pistols internal safeties, just that both (Glock 26 and a Taurus 738) are absent of externals. A Mr Softy for the 738 and a kholster for the g26 seem to be be solid options. Both are primaries (only carrying 1 for clarification) depending on weather, as I don't carry a BUG.

I guess my big question was unchambering, and the answer is defenitely not.

Maybe today I'll start. Going shooting to boot.

You said booger hook.::

Have never carried without +1...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Too many things can go Bad when in a SD situation,having a gun jam while trying to chamber a round may be the last thing you ever do
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Always carry chambered. (That's commonly referred to as "+1")

External safety--personal preference. None of my guns (except 1) have external safeties.

Carrying a second gun is referred to as "carrying a BUG" (BUG - Back-Up Gun)---also a personal preference. I occasionally carry a BUG (again, also without an external safety)
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

No question, in and SD situation you probably won't have the chance to chamber. As far as unloading, my Sig 220 that I carry off duty and my Sig 229 that I carry on duty hasn't been unloaded unless I burned the ammo at the range. Afterwards, the mags are promptly reloaded and I'm condition 1 and concealed on my person as soon as I leave the range. I also don't rotate my mags. I've had both guns for about four years and the mags have had ammo in them for just about that entire time. It'll still feed any ammo to the gun without flaw that I want to put in it.

First thing to go in a SD situation are fine motor skills, for example I have to practice my grip on my 1911 so my thumb clicks the safety off on the draw but I would never consider racking the slide. You don't have to worry about such things with your non-safety pistols, but a click of the safety is about as fine a motor skill as you're going to have in a SD encounter; if you try to rack the slide any number of bad things can happen such as you may miss grabbing the slide, you may ride the slide and have a round jam, or worse break the extractor.

About unloading the firearm every time you put it away for the night and what have you, it's a bad idea, just look constantly loading rounds did to my Gold Dots linked to in my thread. Keep it holstered while off your body and wipe it down with a gun cloth every once in a while if it puts your mind at ease.

What about wear and tear on the springs?

OK, I'm new at this too. My gun is a Glock and there is no external safetly (unless you count the plastic trigger safety) but I have not heard of AD's with Glock's and I'm sure that if there were some the info would be all over the net. So it is probably safe to carry loaded. As long as your booger hook doesn't make the acquaintance with the bang switch (love that colorful language).

BUT, that puts tension on the springs, compressesion on the mag springs, etc. Carrying the gun around like that all the time has got to cause some changes in spring tension and induce some wear. I go to another state for 3 months in the summer and cannot take my gun with me. I clean it, unload it (check and point in safe direction) and pull the trigger then lock it in safe deposit box until I get back in town.

The gun came with a lock that is supposed to be threaded thru the chamber and out the grip to make it safe for storage but I don't use it because it requires the slide to be locked back, etc.

Am I being too worried about leaving the gun being "tense" all the time ?

Wear and tear on springs comes from expansion and compression. So basically, if you leave the gun or magazine in one state without change it won't matter if it is loaded or unloaded whether your referring to the gun or the magazine.

Repeated usage, shooting the gun and loading and unloading the magazine is where the springs get worn out. They all can be replaced when they go bad.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links