M&P9 w/ Apex DCAEK, 1st range trip

This is a discussion on M&P9 w/ Apex DCAEK, 1st range trip within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently sold my beloved M&P9pro to a friend who wanted my exact gun. I used the funds to buy a fullsize M&P9 with apex ...

Thread: M&P9 w/ Apex DCAEK, 1st range trip

M&P9 w/ Apex DCAEK, 1st range trip

I recently sold my beloved M&P9pro to a friend who wanted my exact gun. I used the funds to buy a fullsize M&P9 with apex DCAEK. I love the ergos of the M&P family, but the stock trigger, while workable, leaves something to be desired. Enter apex tactical. Many are familiar with the apex sear, which reduces pull weight, overtravel and length to reset. Unfortunately in some pistols some of the gritty feeling remains, and reset can be weak. The DCAEK (duty/carry action enhancement kit) replaces the sear, sear spring, trigger spring, striker block, and striker block spring to yield a ~5 lb trigger pull with a smooth takeup, crisp break, and more forceful reset.

The M&P9pro I sold:

Already owning a M&P9c with the apex sear I wanted to take the next step, so I picked up my fullsize with dcaek and did some sanding and texturing. I find the stock texture too smooth so I stippled the grip frame. I also sanded down the base of the trigger guard for a more comfortable radius and took some material off the toe on the frontstrap. I use compact floorplates (smoother reloads from double mag pouches vs standard) so the toe is unnecessary and sometimes gets caught on my shirt during the draw.

My workspace:

Frontstrap:

Backstrap:

Finished product:

Today was the inaugural range trip, and as expected it performed flawlessly through ~230 rounds. The trigger was very smooth and the reset superb. One simply has to slightly reduce the pressure of their index finer for the trigger to snap back to firing position under recoil, leaving you ready to shoot again the moment your sights are on target. The more aggressive texture was very helpful. Between the Texas heat and a rapid firing pace my hands were very sweaty, but didn't slip. Once the Warren Tactical sights I ordered some in this pistol will require nothing more than a steady diet of ammo.

I strongly recommend that M&P owners purchase at least the sear from apex tactical, if not the whole DCAEK. It makes a world of difference and produces the best carry trigger in a striker fired pistol I have ever experienced. (glock, XD, XDM) I also find it preferable to the SA pull of many DA/SA designs. (H&K P30, CZ75B, Sig, FN FNP).

2. Remove Ads

Really nice work,
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Looks great
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Senior Moderator
    Good job on the stippliing!

I'm currently considering an M&P in .45ACP. I have a 9mm M&P full size and while the trigger is not everything it could be, mainly as you put it, it doesn't have a forceful reset.

But otherwise I haven't noticed any other objectionable characteristics, at least nothing to justify a $90 trigger kit. But, I'll probably wind up installing one anyway because I won't be able to stand not knowing the difference.

If I may ask, where'd you purchase the Apex kit?

Good post!
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    I like the mods.... I have a M&P40 w/TS... I was thinking about putting a trigger kit on it. But I have over 1600+ rounds through it, and I find my trigger has a crisp break, and a forceful reset. Maybe I got lucky, or it is from so many rounds.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Good job on the stippliing!

I'm currently considering an M&P in .45ACP. I have a 9mm M&P full size and while the trigger is not everything it could be, mainly as you put it, it doesn't have a forceful reset.

But otherwise I haven't noticed any other objectionable characteristics, at least nothing to justify a $90 trigger kit. But, I'll probably wind up installing one anyway because I won't be able to stand not knowing the difference.

If I may ask, where'd you purchase the Apex kit?

Good post!
    I purchased the pistol from G&R Tactical, who gives you the option of installing the kit before they ship the pistol. Speed Shooter Specialties also sells the apex product line.

Thanks for the compliments!

VIP Member
    Is it just me or did APEX raise their prices? I don't remember my sear costing 39 bucks.......

Welcome to Apex Tactical Specialties, Inc.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Is it just me or did APEX raise their prices? I don't remember my sear costing 39 bucks.......

Welcome to Apex Tactical Specialties, Inc.
    They did recently up prices.

Links