Best single stack .45 for CC?

This is a discussion on Best single stack .45 for CC? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Principle of use is an thin, lightweight, EDC that is reliable and doesn't sacrifice firepower. Number of rounds carried doesn't really matter. Using Glock as ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best single stack .45 for CC?

Best single stack .45 for CC?

Principle of use is an thin, lightweight, EDC that is reliable and doesn't sacrifice firepower. Number of rounds carried doesn't really matter.

Using Glock as a reference, the double-stacker G30 is 1.27" thick. The G36 reduces that to 1.13". Now I'm looking for other similarly thin .45 ACP guns out there with good reliability.

I'm not interested in anything that is thicker (or equally thick) as the G30 while being single stack, as this defeats the purpose of being single stack IMO.

For example, the Kimber Super Carry is single stack but is even wider at 1.28" thick, so this takes it out of the running.

The "Para Ordinance Carry" looks like a good alternative, but doesn't specify thickness:
    Para USA, High-Quality Handguns: Products

There's the Detonics Combat Master, but that's pretty thick too at 1.25" and not so small either.
    Detonics CombatMaster 1911

The S&W Chief Special is pretty small but not very thin, 1.28" in the grip, http://home.pacbell.net/inboost/CS45dims.jpg

Then there's the High Standard .45 ACP (formely AMT)..not sure how thick that is.

Kahr PM45 is only 1.01" thick in the slide...now that's what I'm talking about!
    Kahr Arms / .45 ACP Models / PM45 Series

Cylinder & Slide Adventurer claims to be worlds smaller .45 but has hefty thickness of 1.25"
    Adventurer - The Worlds Smallest 1911

Cobra Patriot .45...looks extremely light, streamlined, ...not sure how thick it is.
    Patriot Series 45

STI Off Duty .45 is actually not that small or light in comparison to the others...
    STI International - The STI

Springfield Micro Compact .45 ...not sure on thickness
    SPRINGFIELD ARMORY

So what do people think...which one(s) are the best?

In terms of size, weight, concealability, snag-free profile...it looks like the Kahr wins, with the Cobra slightly behind. However the Cobra can't use +P ammo, doesn't have metal frame guide, doesn't reliably feed with JHP...so it really has to be taken out of consideration.

Now it seems the candidates can be narrowed down to G36 or the Khar...which is definitely smaller than the G36, but I haven't thoroughly compared the differences.
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    If I were looking for a compact (Less than 4" bbl) .45, I'd look no further than the Sig 220 Compact / 245.

Also, remember that the 1911 has a totally different grip shape when compared to a double stack so while the thickness may me about the same, the actual feel of the grip is different.

Administrator
    Ditto JD - "the actual feel of the grip is different."
    Very different.

also...the Detonics is a bit heavy for its size. (bullish barrel & robust slide)

With the specs you placed out there narrows it down to only one choice, G36. You won't regret it but I have to ask, why such a focus on thickness?

kpw
    The thickest part of the 1911 are the grips but there are plenty of thin grips on the market.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

los
    To accurately compare apples to apples, make sure the OAW referenced on each model, includes or excludes, external safety levers, when applicable.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    The thickest part of the 1911 are the grips but there are plenty of thin grips on the market.
    +1 From some recent searches I've done on grips. I've seen the width of the 1911 go down to about the same size as the G36, and adding another round to the count at the same time. I'm seriously considering a set.

Get the STI.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I'm partial to my G36. I also have a Kimber, and I like the 36 for size and weight. Best of luck on your search..

--I'M PROUD TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO BEAR ARMS--

Glock27/ KaBar TDI/ MTAC Holster. I have more also, but this combination works well..

Colt Light Weight Commander.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Cool

Before you decide shoot a Glock 36 if you have not done so already.

"Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Single-stack 1911s are thin in the grip area, but things like safety and slide-stop levers figure into the width figures. Double-stack pistols are thick in the grip area, which is what complicates concealment.

I have no trouble concealing a full-sized 1911, and consider that the best, for me. More specifically, for my hands, a 1911 with a high-cut front strap, or undercut trigger guard. (Baer, Wilson, Yam styles.)

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    If I were looking for a compact (Less than 4" bbl) .45, I'd look no further than the Sig 220 Compact / 245.
    I just went to Sig's website. The 220 series pistols are listed as 1.5 inches thick. That sounds like a bit of a brick.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    I just went to Sig's website. The 220 series pistols are listed as 1.5 inches thick. That sounds like a bit of a brick.

It is a bit of a brick but it isn't that difficult to conceal. I wear a 220 carry off duty in a skyops holster and it really isn't that bad.

With all that being said, I am still considering a g30 just because and it would replace the 220 as EDC.

As far as 1911s go, you can get thin grip panels to knock the grip width down some. If you carry IWB, the 1911 has one of the narrowest slide and frame dimensions at 7/8", while still toting a .45 punch. A lot of times, you won't have to alter your pants size much, if at all, to accommodate the thiness of a 1911 for IWB carry. Only the span across the grips and safety levers is wider than that.

As far as the Glock 36 goes, the whole gun is 1.18" wide. The shorter grip of the Glock is a plus vs. the 1911, though.

Don't just go by manufacturer listed width specs. Some include safety levers in the widths, some don't. Get out and handle some guns at some gun shops and you will most likely have a better idea of what gun is more concealable for you and the way you intend to carry it.

Colt New Agent - the thinnest 1911 that I've found so far. Here's a great review:

The M-1911 Pistols Organization E-zine
    Nothing unreal exists

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links