Taurus TCP VS Kel-Tec PF-9?

This is a discussion on Taurus TCP VS Kel-Tec PF-9? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a TCP as one of my EDG's and to be honest I'm not crazy about it when it comes to shooting it. The ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taurus TCP VS Kel-Tec PF-9?

Taurus TCP VS Kel-Tec PF-9?

I have a TCP as one of my EDG's and to be honest I'm not crazy about it when it comes to shooting it. The grip is so narrow. Not to mention the cost of .380 ammo.

I'm thinking about selling the TCP and picking up a PF-9, mainly to unify my caliber to 9mm. Reading about the PF-9, people seem to love it although with a bit more recoil. Ergonomically the 9 looks more comfy with that grip, plus a extra round. Weight wise, they seem more or less the same. For the TCP, it seems that's it's 50/50 regarding problems for most people. Knock wood, no issues yet with mine.

Sadly, I have zero option to shoot a PF-9 and I would probably buying it online. Not a lot of options in my neck of the woods.

Would selling the TCP for a PF-9 be sensible?
    Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by GlockLobster View Post
    I have a TCP as one of my EDG's and to be honest I'm not crazy about it when it comes to shooting it. The grip is so narrow. Not to mention the cost of .380 ammo.

I'm thinking about selling the TCP and picking up a PF-9, mainly to unify my caliber to 9mm. Reading about the PF-9, people seem to love it although with a bit more recoil. Ergonomically the 9 looks more comfy with that grip, plus a extra round. Weight wise, they seem more or less the same. For the TCP, it seems that's it's 50/50 regarding problems for most people. Knock wood, no issues yet with mine.

Sadly, I have zero option to shoot a PF-9 and I would probably buying it online. Not a lot of options in my neck of the woods.

Would selling the TCP for a PF-9 be sensible?
    Thanks!
    I'm pondering the exact same option! I think I may wait until the Taurus 740 comes out to compare with other "slim guns"
    ARMY INFANTRY 11c

What use is an unloaded gun? --Tony Soprano

"A ___ is better than the ___ you left at/ in the ____" -- My answer to 99% of the ?'s on here

I have put 250 flawless rounds through my pf9 and I absolutely love it. I will be buying a second one soon. After you put a Hogue Hands-All Jr. grip sleeve on it the recoil is nothing. It is extremely light weight and I carry it in a single clip IWB daily. Check out ktog.org for more detailed information from actual owners.
    Carry on my friend~~

Smith & Wesson SW9VE
    Smith & Wesson M&P 15
    Kel-Tec PF9

Spend a lil more cash and get a glock 26!!!
    No matter what anyone says you can never own enough guns!!!
    Glock 26
    Ruger LCP

I have about 600 rounds through mine with no problems.

PF9 is just to big for me with deep conceal issues.

Went to Kel Tec P3AT and am very happy with it.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

I can't comment on the TCP. But I can tell you that I absolutely love my PF-9. It's been 100% reliable, and is really hard to beat for the $$$.

The recoil issue is way overblown, it's not as bad as people make it out to be.

glocklobster,

Hard to do when we are talking about two totally different guns.
    TCP=Smaller frame and smaller round, less recoil.
    PF9=Larger frame and larger round, a bit snappier recoil.
    I have shot both and carry a PF9 daily either as a BUG in a pocket holster or primary carry carried IWB. Mine has several thousand rounds and zero problems.
    Another thing you may consider, since you already have one Taurus, is to get another. The PT-709 SLIM is a bit bigger than the PF9 but also easier to handle. If you plan to carry either gun as your Primary, take a hard look at the 709.

tex45acp
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

the Kel Tec PF-9 and the Kahr PM-9 are two very popular choices when it comes to compact,slimline 9mm handguns..either would make good choice IMO...

Quote Originally Posted by kane4111 View Post
    Got one already.

Quote Originally Posted by tex45acp View Post
    glocklobster,

Hard to do when we are talking about two totally different guns.
    TCP=Smaller frame and smaller round, less recoil.
    PF9=Larger frame and larger round, a bit snappier recoil.
    I have shot both and carry a PF9 daily either as a BUG in a pocket holster or primary carry carried IWB. Mine has several thousand rounds and zero problems.
    Another thing you may consider, since you already have one Taurus, is to get another. The PT-709 SLIM is a bit bigger than the PF9 but also easier to handle. If you plan to carry either gun as your Primary, take a hard look at the 709.

tex45acp
    I came very close to buying a 709, until I saw a picture of a huge crack across the slide on a 709 on a 2 month old gun. For the life of me I can't find that pic, I think it was on here or thehighroad.

I really liked the feel, but the user reviews and some of the pics of defects made me change my mind. Actually wound up with a G26 instead. But, for me, that's too chubby pistol to IWB (my only option) for light shorts and a busy job. The TCP is about the right size/weight for this time of year.
    Last edited by GlockLobster; June 28th, 2010 at 02:34 AM.

I have a TCP. Had a problem when first purchased but factory fixed it OK. It's my NPE/Backup piece. Very easy gun to carry and shoot. The PF-9 is an apples and oranges comparison. Shoot the PF-9 first. Some people don't like the recoil profile. Still it's 9mm vs .380.
    For the stength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack. - R. Kipling

Romans 1:22 Claiming to be wise, they became fools [professing to be smart, they made simpletons of themselves].

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Spend a few more bucks and get a reliable quality made handgun, CCW is not the place to go cheap. Look at the G26 or a Kahr.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I owned the PF9 and sold it to buy the TCP. Wrong move! Although I like the TCP and will probably never get rid of it, I am looking to sell a Sig P239 to fund the purchase of a compact 9mm. Looking at the PF9 or the Taurus pt709.

The PF9 was a great little gun, I was sooooo stupid for getting rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by kane4111 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GlockLobster View Post
    Got one already.

Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    Spend a few more bucks and get a reliable quality made handgun, CCW is not the place to go cheap. Look at the G26 or a Kahr.
    Per my job and attire, I can't use the G26.

I have shot my PF-9 to the point where I have lost count of how many thousands of rounds have been through it. It has been reliable, very accurate, and surprisingly controllable. This is the pistol I carry most. Were all concealable 9mm pistols the same price, this is still the one I would choose.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links