Q for H&K carry people regarding reloading

This is a discussion on Q for H&K carry people regarding reloading within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can you do an administrative reload with an H&K in the holster? I am wondering about the mag release on the trigger guard, if it ...

Thread: Q for H&K carry people regarding reloading

Distinguished Member

Can you do an administrative reload with an H&K in the holster?

I am wondering about the mag release on the trigger guard, if it hinders this. ie. does a holster block access to the magazine release?

Or is it just a matter of "have a holster made so you can do this"??

Probably depends on the holster.

If it was a crossbreed, you could probably remove a little kydex to allow this.
    "People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." Benjamin Franklin

VIP Member
    It would depend on the holster. If you have one made (custom), discuss your concerns with the maker. Generally these folks can work around your specific requirements or steer you in the correct direction.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I have half a dozen HK's and never even thought of it. For me, I do an administrative reload, or load, in a compressed ready position. Then I release the mag, holster the gun, top off the mag and then reinsert the mag. I've never needed to release the mag while in the holster. Not saying it's a bad idea or anything, I've just never done it.

Now, I've never really carried my HK's for that long, I always go back to the 1911, so my experience with them in that sense is a little more limited.

When you say an administrative reload, you mean firing the gun and holstering. Then, removing the mag and replacing it with a full one? Just curious, I don't want to picture it wrong... I'd be happy to check for you in a few minutes.

I like a good leather holster and it's what I use daily, but I also really like the Raven Concealment Kydex holsters. With those, it's nothing more than cutting out the area to make more room. it's very easy to work with and get a professional look.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Senior Moderator
    None of my HK45 / P30 holsters have access to the mag release.

That said, I don't see a whole lot of need for mag changes in the holster. I've seen some folks do it at IDPA matches and end up with a mag that isn't firmly seated. The resulting draw, fire one shot, and then look for the magazine would be very bad in a real-life scenario.....

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Distinguished Member
    It is an exercise done in a defensive handgun class. You release the magazine while the gun is holstered, to get a full new magazine without unholstering.

We do it for range safety, and also learn it for possible use at another time.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I can change a mag in my HK P7 PSP while holstered.

I just tried to eject a mag from my P2000sk, in a Galco Concealable, but the outside lever is covered and the inboard lever is too hard to reach.

I have a Don Hume holster that fully exposes the lever and it is easy to do.

So... it depends entirely on the holster and probably where it is worn.

Not sure I see the value of the exercise though.

I really don't see any value in it either other than a very strict range...

Now, I just put my USP Tactical 45 in the holster for the first time and I can release the mag, though not the easiest thing. Worst case scenario, just pull it up a half inch or so and no problem...
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Distinguished Member
    Thanks.

I don't set the policies, I just do what I am told and at this point I am trying to learn. I don't want to go buy a really expensive gun and then realize it won't work for continuing course work.

I've got a USPc .45 sitting in a DeSantis Speed Scabbard right now, and I can access the mag release just fine.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

That's pretty much what I thought about the policies... I have 5 HK's and I just sold one, have two more listed and will probably sell one more - I may keep the USP Tactical 45 I have listed though. They're great guns but I like Sigs better and prefer 1911's over everything. All the HK's I have can be carried cocked and locked, which is a great feature that I wish my Sigs had.

What model are you looking at in the HK line? Will it be for concealed carry or the range and competition?

What holsters are you looking at?

Links