Who carries a Charter Arms Bulldog??

This is a discussion on Who carries a Charter Arms Bulldog?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I picked up a brand new Charter Arms Bulldog Pug Friday. I really like it...havent gotten to shoot it for accuracy yet. Who carries one ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who carries a Charter Arms Bulldog??

Who carries a Charter Arms Bulldog??

I picked up a brand new Charter Arms Bulldog Pug Friday. I really like it...havent gotten to shoot it for accuracy yet. Who carries one of these?? What kinda holster are you using? Thanks for the help. Robbie

2. Remove Ads

I don't own one but do like them. Quality is suppose to be uneven, depending on which incarnation of Charter Arms produced the revolver. My brother-in-law has two of them which I've shot on occasion and I've also shot a stainless steel version owned by another acquaintance. These Bulldogs all seemed tighter and more solid than many give them credit for being.

The Bulldogs are able to benefit from the .44 Special's fine accuracy reputation and shoot well. All shot to point-of-aim with factory 246 grain round nose lead bullets or handloaded equivalent. I wouldn't be much interested in hotrodding the .44 Special in a Bulldog. Cylinder walls are thin and the gun is light. Who knows what sort of reserve of strength the revolver possesses and recoil would get brutal quickly with hot loads.

There are some Bulldog fans who post here so maybe they'll come along to answer the question about holsters. I think my B-I-L only ever pocket carries his.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

My .44 Charter is the old version and I mostly carried it off-body in a planner holster or occasionally in a Maxpedition bag. It lived in my car for a long time as a dedicated car gun. Mine was very ammo sensitive. It shot Glaser, Magsafe, Federal LSWCHP and LRN fine. It shot ok with Silvertips and like a shotgun with Gold Dot. Cor Bon makes a warm JHP load for it and an expensive DPX I think bit those are too hot for me to want to use in that old gun. I figure it will run forever on Federals.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I inhereted my Dad's along with a Taurus 431. He loved BIG caliber guns. The Bulldog makes a good CCH the Taurus is just too heavy!

I have had excellent results with mine. I usually pocket carry it to the car and keep it in the console. Mine is about a year old, stainless, and very accurate.

VIP Member
    I carry mine only if I am wearing a suit or sports coat or occasionally as a BUG, so it is not my EDC. I have two holsters for it.

K&D Laredo Defender

K&D Pocket Defender

I find the Bulldog to be an accurate and easy to shoot revolver. The recoil can be sharp, but it is not as bad as a .357 Magnum in a pistol the same size. I have had mine for over two years with no problems.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

I carry one from the 70's. I use an AKJ Concealco IWB holster the most.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

I have one that is in my carry rotation, especially in the summer. I just use a Universal Clip Draw. I had the hammer mini bobbed so that it isn't as likely to snag on clothing when drawing from IWB.

I have a Mag Pug that I really like.
    Odd though, Its more accurate(with me anyways) with the .357 mag round than it is with the .38 spl round.

Hey Danimal, You dont by chance know the part number for that Big Dot do ya?
    "I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
    "Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- MM218

No. Just call XS directly. It is the sight for a SW J Frame.

Love the Charter Arms

I too carry an older SS Charter Bulldog Pug. It has lived with me since the 80's and done excellent service. It has recently moved into semi retirement as I bought a new "on duty" that rides in my pocket full-time. I really love the 44 but it's just a tad big for my pocket. For almost all other uses though, it's the Charter 44 or S&W 329PD

I have a 3inch ss older model that I carry quite often,it shoots to point of aim with just about any load.
    Always be alert and aware!!!

I also have an older model, probably mid 70's? I had the hammer bobbed and installed a set of crimson trace grips. I found I can slip it in my pocket and pull it with no snag. Thats nice in the middle of the night. It lives in my under bed safe, but on this thread, I've seen some nice leather to IWB carry it. It's always shot point of aim, and you gotta love a .44. I also like that big dot site.. the easier to aim, the better..
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Locked out on a balcony of the Dark Tower...
    Quote Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
    I have one that is in my carry rotation, especially in the summer. I just use a Universal Clip Draw. I had the hammer mini bobbed so that it isn't as likely to snag on clothing when drawing from IWB.

is this a tj custom?
    All Day I Dream About Sigs

Recently purchased a new Bulldog and had to return it. My first indication of a purchase mistake was the trigger pull, when is SA mode I could feel three raspy steps before it fired. Once to the range, out of five shots, 3-4 shots had a good group but the rest were flyers and an occasional keyhole. Discovered that the cylinder was not locking intermittantly caused by a cyl/barrel misalignment. Maybe got a lemon but I will never buy one again unless I can handle one before I buy one and finding a dealer who has one in stock to do that is impossible around this part of the country.
    Last edited by 44calnut; June 29th, 2010 at 07:42 PM. Reason: clarity

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links