Taurus 709 Slim Experience

Taurus 709 Slim Experience

This is a discussion on Taurus 709 Slim Experience within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I finally got my first gun after turning 21 :) so i went and bought myself the badazz looking Taurus 709 Slim. I did my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taurus 709 Slim Experience

Thumbs up Taurus 709 Slim Experience

I finally got my first gun after turning 21 :) so i went and bought myself the badazz looking Taurus 709 Slim. I did my research and there were many negative and positive reviews about this gun. I also noticed that Taurus had came out with a much more different looking 709 then when it first came out and i alo know they fixed a lot of the problems the first gen guys were having.

Well i have shoot now over 300 rounds from Federal ammo from wal-mart that i buy for $9.85 (50 Rounds) i have not yet had no misfires or any jams what so ever in my gun; which makes me very pleased about it.

I also clean it after every used like you should, and for new buyers please clean the gun before you use it; i found lots of white grease in the gun which could of caused jams.

So this is my friendly experience and post about the Taurus 709, its a great gun to carry and small and powerful

Frank

thanks for the review of your purchase. my dads lookin hard at one of these for his carry piece. how did you like the trigger the way i understand it its a single action the first shot then double the second shot which seems backwards to me and is keeping him from getting one.

Well i really like the trigger because its a lot like the Glock, i did noticed why your dad is holding back on it. When i first fired it shoot fine, but from there one because of the double trigger thing you really have to pull the trigger ALL the way back to fire the round.

When my dad tired the gun he felt he had pulled the trigger and thought the gun wasn't working but it was because he didn't pull the trigger all the way back. I know this is a safety feature on the gun which is why i bought it to use as my carry gun.

AzB
    Quote Originally Posted by joedodge View Post
    the way i understand it its a single action the first shot then double the second shot which seems backwards to me and is keeping him from getting one.
    I can lift your confusion. It's SA/DA. That is, it's a single action, striker fired gun on every normal shot. But should you experience a misfire, it will give you DA to try to get that shot to fire a second or third time. This is better in a SD situation than racking the slide, as most times the gun will go bang the second time.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

GM
    Good luck with the Taurus 709.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

los
    Great little semi. Mine has been spectacular but I just put it up for sale on the board to fund another project..

Have fun with the Slim. It should devour anything you feed it..!

CONGRATS.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

VIP Member
    Good luck with the bull!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post
    I can lift your confusion. It's SA/DA. That is, it's a single action, striker fired gun on every normal shot. But should you experience a misfire, it will give you DA to try to get that shot to fire a second or third time. This is better in a SD situation than racking the slide, as most times the gun will go bang the second time.
    Taurus markets this as a positive feature, but I respectfully disagree. If a round does not ignite on the first trigger pull, do a tap-rack drill and get that dud outta there - go on to the next round. Don't waste time trying to get a dud to ignite.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

it just seemed odd to be sa/da instead of da/sa but either way seems like a sound gun and very similar to my old pf9

Glad to hear you had a good experience with your PT-709. Mine has been flawless also, pushing 300 rounds, and although I am used to the Glock trigger, the PT709 trigger takes some getting used to. It is similar to the Glock, but has much more take-up on shots 2-7 than I am used to, but I agree that it is well-suited for CC and defensive shooting.
    A little range time will take care of getting used to the trigger: the most important thing is that you have a great weapon design that functions as it was intended!
    Your post has made a lot of Taurus-bashers very un-happy, and even more of us Taurus fans feel somewhat vindicated!

Best of luck with your 709!

let us know after you try a few hundred hollow points thru it. thats when the problems start with alot of guns...good luck.. welcome
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

Good Luck, Hope it serves you well ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I know someone else stated it but it seems to still be unclear. In a DA/SA the first shot only is double action. The subsequent shots are single action. The Taurus Slim fires every shot first through last single action only, with the caveat, if a round fails to fire, then, and only then, can you pull the trigger (double action) and re-strike the failed round. I believe it is clearer to say that the Taurus Slim is SA only, with a double strike capability.

The trigger works like my H&K P2000SK LEM, (the Slim is striker fired and the H&K is hammer fired so I'm only speaking about the trigger) except the Taurus double action pull is much, much, much lighter. In fact, I would not be upset at all to fire the Slim double action every round, that's how light the pull is. But, just for clarity let me emphasis the only time I've pulled the trigger double action on the Slim is dry firing. I Never had a misfire in single action.

Quote Originally Posted by jsunsr View Post
    I know someone else stated it but it seems to still be unclear. In a DA/SA the first shot only is double action. The subsequent shots are single action. The Taurus Slim fires every shot first through last single action only, with the caveat, if a round fails to fire, then, and only then, can you pull the trigger (double action) and re-strike the failed round. I believe it is clearer to say that the Taurus Slim is SA only, with a double strike capability.

The trigger works like my H&K P2000SK LEM, (the Slim is striker fired and the H&K is hammer fired so I'm only speaking about the trigger) except the Taurus double action pull is much, much, much lighter. In fact, I would not be upset at all to fire the Slim double action every round, that's how light the pull is. But, just for clarity let me emphasis the only time I've pulled the trigger double action on the Slim is dry firing. I Never had a misfire in single action.
    So you have it almost

the taurus design is SA/DA the first pull is single action, much like a 1911. The gun is already cocked. The trigger though includes the travel distance of a DA trigger, but only the last little bit is weighted.

If the gun strikes a hard primer, or dud round (or is decocked on models that feature a decocker) then the pull is a double action pull.

Example, gun is holsterd and has a round in the chamber. Doesnt have a decocker (like the 709) the first pull is SA. if the round fails to go off, it gives you a "second shot" to pull the trigger again, and wack that primer again. As soon as the slide goes back though (either manually to clear said bad round, or it goes bang) the trigger is now single action again.

think of it like a 1911 design, but with a DA built in incase the first drop of the hammer doesnt do the job and you wont be far off.

Thanks everyone for the best wishes :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links