Cost of pistol question??

Cost of pistol question??

This is a discussion on Cost of pistol question?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have the oppertunity to buy a Keltec p-11 converted to .40 and 250 rounds win. white box. He is asking $200. It has slight ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cost of pistol question??

Senior Member Array bigo5552000's Avatar

Question Cost of pistol question??

I have the oppertunity to buy a Keltec p-11 converted to .40 and 250 rounds win. white box. He is asking $200. It has slight surface rust on the slide but that is the only problem I see. Do you think that is a good or bad price? Please no opinions on the brand of gun there are plenty of threads for that.

Thanks for the help everyone!!
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."-Einstein

If it was a stock P-11 in 9mm, I'd jump on it. A little 'freckling' from surface rust is no biggie on a workin' gun, and Kel-Tecs are not exactly heirlooms.

Where I hesitate is a .40 S+W conversion on a very lightweight 9mm. The .40 is a lot snappier round and I just don't see a healthy life ahead for that converted pistol.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I'd be a little leery about the conversion,keltec may not warranty the gun,have you shot the gun yet,recoil may be pretty harsh,my 9mm P11 after about 25 rounds is enough
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Kel-Tec made a P40 (a P11 in .40 S&W). I owned one and it was pure junk. It made several trips back to the factory for repair and they could never make it feed reliably or stop smashing the front of the bullet as the cartridge attempted to feed into the chamber. The impact of the bullet on the feed ramp often pushed the bullet farther into the case. This could cause increased pressure in an already high pressure cartridge. Kel-Tec eventually discontinued the the P40 because they couldn't make the design work (something they should have figured out before releasing it to the public for sale IMO). The various problems with the P40 were well documented on the Ktog forum at the time.

The P40 sold new for about $200. I'd pass on it at any price, but especially for $200.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

GM
    I think I should pass. If it was an original P-11 then I should take it right away, but not otherwise; the reasons are what gasmitty and dukalmighty said.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Pass..they have incredibly stiff springs...making racking very difficult. They sting your hand pretty good too, pretty snappy felt recoil. There is a reason Kel-tec doesnt make them anymore....You can get a new P11 for not much more than that.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

ok...so what if I got it for a reduced price and converted it back to 9mm. At what price would that be an adventitious move for me? If I could get it for $50, $75, $100??? Excluding the ammo just the gun.. Is this a stupid idea to convert it back to 9mm if I can get it for the right price??

Thanks
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."-Einstein

I would just go out and get another P11 that has not been messed with.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

You do not need someone else's problems. Pass.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Locked out on a balcony of the Dark Tower...
    not to join the mob mentality, my step dad bought a p11 9mm and if the .40 is anything like that, id pass if it was less than $200. not trying to be mean, they do have all sorts of little accessories but, things like the trigger pull is atrocious on his.

Hopes I dont draw fire for this.
    All Day I Dream About Sigs

Ex Member
    Get a rock. At least that will work once. With a Kel Tec you may not even get that.

I smell something with the mods, I would pass..
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

ok guys thanks

[QUOTE=bigo5552000;1680428]ok...so what if I got it for a reduced price and converted it back to 9mm. At what price would that be an adventitious move for me? If I could get it for $50, $75, $100??? Excluding the ammo just the gun.. Is this a stupid idea to convert it back to 9mm if I can get it for the right price??

Thanks[/QUOTE
    I'd wait it out and get a P11. They sometimes sell for 175.00 to 200.00 (one as new in box)
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Bigo,

You know me for being frank...well I am Ken...but you get the picture...

If it looks to good to be true...

Personally, unless you could verify the "smith" who did the/a conversion (on any gun) and test it for yourself prior to buying...PASS!!!

There are a LOT of "smiths" who I wouldn't ask to fix a toilet and there are plenty of good, reputable references for smiths on this and other sites.

Besides, "modifying" a KelTec is like hot-rodding a Yugo. What is the point?!

If you are looking for a deal on a gun, have patience, decide what you "really" want and wait for it. They make a LOT of guns and the one that you want will come around soon enough.

FWIW and IMHO, you can't go wrong with Glocks, XDs, Kahrs, most Sigs, some Smiths, some Rugers, Rohrbaughs and any quality 1911.

Just my $.02 though and YMMV...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links