Sig 238 recoil spring vs. Mustang Pocketlite spring

This is a discussion on Sig 238 recoil spring vs. Mustang Pocketlite spring within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here is a comparsion of the Sig 238 recoil spring and the Mustang recoil spring which will work in the Sig. The Mustang spring is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig 238 recoil spring vs. Mustang Pocketlite spring

Here is a comparsion of the Sig 238 recoil spring and the Mustang recoil spring which will work in the Sig.

The Mustang spring is on the top...notice that it's a double spring.

I had a problem with FTE with my Sig 238 and Sig is sending a new recoil spring. Here is a guy who they sent a new spring to....notice the size difference....

The new spring sent is on the bottom....he said he only had about 200 rds through the gun. I think they see that the orginal springs are a problem. The Mustang spring is a 12 #.
    Going to be interested in which they send me.
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

JD
    Administrator
    As an FYI, Wolff makes a single spring in two different weights.
    Recoil Springs for the Mustang and the Pony, like the Officer's Model, are high performance, single recoil springs to replace the dual spring factory systems. These single springs offer improved reliability and smoother functioning than that found with dual spring recoil systems. Each load-rated recoil spring pak includes an extra power firing pin spring.

42811 COLT MUSTANG/PONY .380 STD RECOIL SPRNG 11LB
    42812 COLT MUSTANG/PONY .380 XP RECOIL SPRNG 12LB

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    As an FYI, Wolff makes a single spring in two different weights.
    Which one would you go with....11 or 12lb.?
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

VIP Member
    Double springs were usually made that way because that was the best available technology at the time. The latest single springs are generally stronger and will last longer.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by imthduke View Post
    Which one would you go with....11 or 12lb.?
    Get both and see which works better.

I replaced mine a couple years ago, but forget which one's I bought.

VIP Member
    I've had no problem with a single coil Wolf replacement recoil spring for my Mustang.

OP wrote: " had a problem with FTE with my Sig 238 "
    Perhaps not a spring issue at all.

I can't speak to the 238, but on my Mustang it is somewhat imperative to keep the extractor clean; something easily done.

I spoke with a Sig Inspector this past weekend. He (the Inspector) tells me the Sig springs are good for about 200 rounds and then you'll need to replace em or face some FTF or possible stove pipe issues. just thought I'd share this with you
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

OP wrote: " had a problem with FTE with my Sig 238 "
    Perhaps not a spring issue at all.
    I agree...yet this is what Sig CS said we would try first.

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    I spoke with a Sig Inspector this past weekend. He (the Inspector) tells me the Sig springs are good for about 200 rounds and then you'll need to replace em or face some FTF or possible stove pipe issues. just thought I'd share this with you
    Seriously? I've run nearly 300 rounds through mine but swapped to a Wolff 12 pounder at around 100. No issues yet but your comment here has me concerned. Guess I need to get more springs :(
    --Bob

DW CCO (2), CBOB + RZ45, Colt MKIV, CD EFS, P45C/T, BHP MKIII, FM M90, PT99AF, M681-1, 689, P238, MK678II

Is this spring issue just about the Sig p238 or do all semi autos have spring issues? I must have put about five hundred rounds through my p238 and don't seem to have a spring issue. I guess I don't get it.

All the recoil spring does is return the slide to firing position while stripping a round off the magazine and positioning the extractor into the notch. So I am thinking that if the recoil spring isn't strong enough then perhaps the extractor won't seat, leading to FTE's?

VIP Member
    I suppose if I worked for Sig and could grab a handful of springs, I might think about replacing the recoil spring more often. I am guessing that the inspector is referring to the P238. Spring replacement at 200 rounds is a typical manufacturers recommendation for most 1911's. The P238 is more or less a mini 1911.

It will not harm the pistol if the recoil spring is not replaced though so for me, if it ain't broken, I don't fix it.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    Spring replacement at 200 rounds is a typical manufacturers recommendation for most 1911's.
    I don't know of any 1911 manufacturer that recommends a recoil spring change at 200 rounds! The norm is usually more like 3000 or more*, but aficionados simply note when the ejected brass starts landing closer than it did when the springs were new as a sign to replace the recoil spring. One also replaces the firing pin spring at the same time.

*http://www.10-8performance.com/Relia...nd_Counts.html
    --Bob

DW CCO (2), CBOB + RZ45, Colt MKIV, CD EFS, P45C/T, BHP MKIII, FM M90, PT99AF, M681-1, 689, P238, MK678II

Sig P238 update recall info. Just saw this and thought you may want to read it.
    http://www.sigsauer.com/customerserv...38upgrade.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    I suppose if I worked for Sig and could grab a handful of springs, I might think about replacing the recoil spring more often. I am guessing that the inspector is referring to the P238. Spring replacement at 200 rounds is a typical manufacturers recommendation for most 1911's. The P238 is more or less a mini 1911.

It will not harm the pistol if the recoil spring is not replaced though so for me, if it ain't broken, I don't fix it.
    In all my years I've never had to replace recoil springs in my guns, with the exception of several thousand rounds usage. This includes the high end 1911s to the less expensive spanish made guns.
    Just an FWIW all the springs (recoil or whatever else goes in them) for their Sig pistols come from Yugoslavia, I could go on about it, but this is not the topic or time to talk about it. My suggestion is to replace the recoil spring with a quality one, such as Wolf, Wilson, Brown, McCormick etc, just in case there is a failure. BTW, Sig won't even sell you a single part, nor will they give you anything, so working there isn't any more beneficial than sales to the the general public.

Quote Originally Posted by Night Flight View Post
    Sig P238 update recall info. Just saw this and thought you may want to read it.
    P238 Upgrade
    Thanks for finding that info, and placing it on the thread!
    The gun is a knock-off type ( as other MFgs have tried to duplicate the design) of the Colt Mustang. FWIW, Mustang mags will fit and feed into the P238, that's how close the guns are related.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links