Defensive Carry banner

Sig 238 recoil spring vs. Mustang Pocketlite spring

12K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  CLASS3NH 
#1 ·
Here is a comparsion of the Sig 238 recoil spring and the Mustang recoil spring which will work in the Sig.

The Mustang spring is on the top...notice that it's a double spring.

I had a problem with FTE with my Sig 238 and Sig is sending a new recoil spring. Here is a guy who they sent a new spring to....notice the size difference....

The new spring sent is on the bottom....he said he only had about 200 rds through the gun. I think they see that the orginal springs are a problem. The Mustang spring is a 12 #.
Going to be interested in which they send me.

See less See more
#2 ·
As an FYI, Wolff makes a single spring in two different weights.
Recoil Springs for the Mustang and the Pony, like the Officer's Model, are high performance, single recoil springs to replace the dual spring factory systems. These single springs offer improved reliability and smoother functioning than that found with dual spring recoil systems. Each load-rated recoil spring pak includes an extra power firing pin spring.

42811 COLT MUSTANG/PONY .380 STD RECOIL SPRNG 11LB
42812 COLT MUSTANG/PONY .380 XP RECOIL SPRNG 12LB

#3 ·
Which one would you go with....11 or 12lb.?

#4 ·
Double springs were usually made that way because that was the best available technology at the time. The latest single springs are generally stronger and will last longer.

#6 ·
I've had no problem with a single coil Wolf replacement recoil spring for my Mustang.

OP wrote: " had a problem with FTE with my Sig 238 "
Perhaps not a spring issue at all.

I can't speak to the 238, but on my Mustang it is somewhat imperative to keep the extractor clean; something easily done.

#9 ·
Seriously? I've run nearly 300 rounds through mine but swapped to a Wolff 12 pounder at around 100. No issues yet but your comment here has me concerned. Guess I need to get more springs :(

#8 ·
OP wrote: " had a problem with FTE with my Sig 238 "
Perhaps not a spring issue at all.
I agree...yet this is what Sig CS said we would try first.

#10 ·
Is this spring issue just about the Sig p238 or do all semi autos have spring issues? I must have put about five hundred rounds through my p238 and don't seem to have a spring issue. I guess I don't get it.

All the recoil spring does is return the slide to firing position while stripping a round off the magazine and positioning the extractor into the notch. So I am thinking that if the recoil spring isn't strong enough then perhaps the extractor won't seat, leading to FTE's?

#11 ·
I suppose if I worked for Sig and could grab a handful of springs, I might think about replacing the recoil spring more often. I am guessing that the inspector is referring to the P238. Spring replacement at 200 rounds is a typical manufacturers recommendation for most 1911's. The P238 is more or less a mini 1911.

It will not harm the pistol if the recoil spring is not replaced though so for me, if it ain't broken, I don't fix it.

#12 ·
Spring replacement at 200 rounds is a typical manufacturers recommendation for most 1911's.
I don't know of any 1911 manufacturer that recommends a recoil spring change at 200 rounds! The norm is usually more like 3000 or more*, but aficionados simply note when the ejected brass starts landing closer than it did when the springs were new as a sign to replace the recoil spring. One also replaces the firing pin spring at the same time.

*http://www.10-8performance.com/Reliability_Round_Counts.html

#15 ·
Sig P238 update recall info. Just saw this and thought you may want to read it.
P238 Upgrade
Thanks for finding that info, and placing it on the thread! :hand10:
The gun is a knock-off type ( as other MFgs have tried to duplicate the design) of the Colt Mustang. FWIW, Mustang mags will fit and feed into the P238, that's how close the guns are related.

#16 ·
BTW, Sig won't even sell you a single part, nor will they give you anything, so working there isn't any more beneficial than sales to the the general public.
You certain bout that?

Pro Shop

#18 ·
I worked at the plant in Exeter NH. That's how I know so much about how they work (the guns and the managment)
The Pro shop (custom shop) is open when you go to the Academy, and also when you shoot their courses. They'll sell you shirts, hats, logo stuff, typical marketing. I couldn't even get a couple of Sig hard cases they were throwing away in the dumpsters. (and they threw away hundreds.)
At one time, we were able to bid (auction) on the used guns that came in for replacement or LEO upgrades, but that stopped. PM me if you want info, as I don't wish to hijack the thread, and I know you're asking specific questions about the recoil springs:hand10:

#17 ·
Has anyone ever replaced a firing pin spring and how involved is that for a non smith person?

#22 ·
re: ? from imthduke on firing spring replacement

On the Mustang version (and so I assume too on the Sig) it is remarkably easy to do that.

JD's wife, Lima, once sent me instructions for removing the extractor so I could clean it. The firing pin and spring come out --whether you want them to or not-- when you remove the plate at the rear which holds them and the extractor in place.

Getting the stuff back inside in proper orientation is a bit of a trick, but is readily doable once you see what needs to be done--carefully line the parts up.

Best tip Lima gave me was to put the gun in a large zip lock bag when
removing the plate else the firing pin will go flying across the room and
you will be on your hands and feet searching nooks and corners for a tiny piece of metal which has instantly vanished.

JD and Lima are our resident experts here on these issues, and I'm grateful for their presence here and for the past advice I got, without which my Mustang would be a paper weight.

#19 ·
Not a problem with hijacking....I am looking for info and yours is authoritive. They do offer some basic parts on their site. Sig offered to send me a recoil spring, but I think its the extractor....we shall see.

#21 ·
The info I got (this past weekend) regarding the springs (including your P238) is from a Incoming Material Inspector. He (the Inspector) also performed Final Inspection procedures before packaging and shipping on all the guns. that's whyI have the specific updated info on the product line. Yes, I also worked there for a while. Sounds great to work there, in reality, you "sweat' a lot:rofl:

#24 ·
Summond those experts....let's get en in here.
Best tip Lima gave me was to put the gun in a large zip lock bag when
removing the plate
Goin to just get in my large zip lock for gun work.

#26 ·
Spoke last night (6/29/10) in person with the Inspector I know from Sig. Seems a few P238s came back for repair on the recoil springs, and after 250 to 350 rounds, the springs were so compressed, the techs had a hard time dis-assembling the guns due to the spring compression. To each his own, but passing on insider info (people who work on the products) is better than any hearsay stuff today. Like anything, it's all man made and suseptible to failure at any given time

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.