Need Advice/Opinions

This is a discussion on Need Advice/Opinions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So im looking to buy my first handgun as well as get my concealed carry permit and i cant figure out what I want, I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Advice/Opinions

Need Advice/Opinions

So im looking to buy my first handgun as well as get my concealed carry permit and i cant figure out what I want, I know i want something I can carry concealed as well as plink with frequently I need something that ammo is easy to find and relitively inexpensive for but i also want something with some power such as .45ACP or .357 mag i really like the short barrel 1911's but they are out of my price range which is around $500 I like the springfield XD's but i prefer more steel and less polymer and i am also concerned about them being a little too bulky. I have considered a revolver in .357 but once again in concerned with bulk and I also dont like the snubby revolvers so any ideas or suggestions to point me in the right direction

(I know my spelling and punctuation are terrible if its too hard to follow i will to my best to try to correct things a little more)

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    The easiest firearm for me to conceal is a .357 snubnose.

With a .357 you can shoot .38spl and save big $$$

But to be honest there is not enough difference between 9mm and .45ACP to warrent all of the caliber wars that they cause.

So do not rule out 9mm.

If I only had to have one handgun for the rest of my life it would be a .357mag (a S&W 686P with a 3" barrel to be exact)
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I'm with you Pgrass. There may be big differences between the calibers on paper, but in real life, it's primarily shot placement that gets the job done or leaves you wishing it had, IMHO.

Look hard at M&P, GLOCK, and to a lesser extent Ruger's SR9. I know, I know--not as much metal as you want, but that light frame makes 'em easier to carry all day too.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Senior Moderator
    I will add that I carry either a 9mm or a .357mag everyday
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

im a pretty big guy im 6'0 315lbs im fat but am not out of shape by any means i do alot of hiking and am a very active person so weight doesnt bother me too much i used to carry my dads .44 mag back home doing chores around the property (had problems with coyotes and other varmits as well as people liked too tresspass and have partys in the back field) and it never bothered me and one thing i will say I DO NOT like glocks sure they are great guns but i dont like the in hand feel etc. oh and my method of carry will be IWB at prolly the 4 o'clock
    another thing to add is im long in the upper body so my shirts fit kind of short

para ord gi expert is around 500...

Like pgrass101 said Don't rule out 9mm, as far as having one gun, It would be
    my .357 Ruger Security Six 4in. ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

If you can find a good price, I would seriously look at a Ruger GP100, .357, 3"

just took a look at the M&P and a bit out of my price range lookin at the SR9 now i have heard good things about them

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of any caliber. I like my .45 auto, but if you're serious about a .357 Mag, plenty of people have carried them for years. .38s make a great practice round.

Check the Ruger line. They've got some nice revolvers, as does S&W. May have to do some hunting around to find one in your price range. Maybe Charter Arms.

Pick up a M&P by S&W. The .357 SIG version would do nicely power-wise. There are those who say the grip is much better than a Glock. I don't have a problem with Glocks, they're just "different."
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I recommend the Ruger SR9c, or the Walther PPS 9mm. Both are quality guns, slim for their respective classes...Walther is very comfortable to carry, reliable , durable, very accurate...its in a class by itself.

im diggin the SR9 cant find a average price or list of calibers and I loved the looks and features of the M&P but like i said out of my price range

i also want to try to avoid 9mm, 9mm around here can be hard to find as it seems like everyone and thier brother has a 9mm around here almost as hard to find as .22lr around here

I'd suggest you save up a few more dollars and get what you want, not what finances dictate. If money is an ongoing issue with you and this gun will serve you for a long time you want to get something good. There is a lot of variables to consider, which is why what works for one person won't necessarity work for another. If you can carry a 357 revolver, with a 3 inch barrel that would be a very good choice. You have a powerful self defense weapon, and with 38 specials a plinker. Revolvers are simple and reliable. There are lots of used smiths out there that you should be able to pick up at a reasonable price.

This is coming from a semi-auto guy who will never buy another revolver. But with your criteria, that's my suggestion.

If you can save a few more dollars, or, look around at the used market you might find yourself a nice Glock 45ACP. YOu need to decide where your willing to compromise, on less weight or less steel. I never say never, but, normally light and steel are not described on the same gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyro07 View Post
    So im looking to buy my first handgun as well as get my concealed carry permit and i cant figure out what I want, I know i want something I can carry concealed as well as plink with frequently I need something that ammo is easy to find and relitively inexpensive for but i also want something with some power such as .45ACP or .357 mag i really like the short barrel 1911's but they are out of my price range which is around $500 I like the springfield XD's but i prefer more steel and less polymer and i am also concerned about them being a little too bulky.
    .357 mag is for revolvers only, personally not a fan of any revolver because of the way they let explosive gasses out the side, and limited capacity. .357 sig may be a good alternative for handguns, it's a pretty powerful round, good for barrier penetration. Neither .357 sig or .45 ACP are going to be cheap to shoot. 40S&W is like a toned down .357 sig.

Obviously you have conflicting desires -- you want something cheap to shoot and you want something powerful. In reality 9mm is powerful enough to get the job done so you could just be practical and go with 9mm.

Your second option is to get a gun chambered in .357 sig and then get a 9mm conversation barrel. Now you can swap barrels to shoot both types of ammo.

Your third option is to buy 9mm for plinking and practice now, which is also great SD round, then save up and eventually buy a .45 ACP gun later for EDC, and hold onto the 9mm for when you want to do extensive or just cheap shooting.

You say you want "more steel and less polymer", in general that means you are looking at guns that cost $600 to $1000 instead of $400-600.

Based on all the above info you provided, I recommend you get a used SIG chambered in .357, which you can probably get for $500, is an exceptional quality gun, all steel construction. Then get a 9mm conversation barrel to go with it.
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links