What's Wrong With Me ?

This is a discussion on What's Wrong With Me ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had a day off during the week today and since I am getting close to retirement I thought I might go into the gunsafe ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's Wrong With Me ?

Cool What's Wrong With Me ?

I had a day off during the week today and since I am getting close to retirement I thought I might go into the gunsafe and see about thinning out the herd. I have this old 6906 S&W that I have had since the 80's that use to get carried off duty alot until I got my first Glock. Once I got the G 19 the 6906 lost some of it's allure for me. I felt I didn't need the bright stainless steel since it was not "tactically" in vogue anymore. Also why did I need a hammerdrop safety and a magazine disconnect. I had a safe action trigger now. The 6906 and the Galco paddle holster were put in the gunsafe. The G 19 became the off duty carry. Well today I pulled out the 6906 in it's original box with it's three 12 round mags and extra recoil springs and the Galco holster. I figured I would take it down to my local gun shop and see about that G 36 with the night sights that has been calling my name for some time now. The 6906 looked good with it's Hogue grip sleeve and bright stainless finish. There was some holster wear on the alloy frame from years ago being carried on a regular basis but that just added to the individualality of the piece. It still felt natural in my hand and though it had been several years since I had taken it to the range there was a strong desire to run a magazine or two through it.
    I worked the action and it was just as smooth as it had always been and had the old Smith and Wesson quality made solid steel gun feel to it. That's when I realized that this was a fruitless excersize I was attempting to embark on. There was no way I was going to trade this gun off. I'm thinking that maybe I should get a Highnoon IWB Public Secret holster like the Glocks ride in ( yes there are more than just the G 19 now) for the 6906. I'm thinking maybe a little bright stainless might not be so bad after all. I'm thinking this 6906 is a darn good looking weapon and it always did shoot well in my hands. I'm thinking I kept it this long why not keep it a little longer.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME ?
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

2. Remove Ads

Not a damn thing. I always think about trading guns for other guns, for a minute. There is something special about most guns and most are hard to get now so best to hang onto them. Sell a kidney or something of the wife's for extra gun buying cash.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Don't feel too bad, the first duty gun that was actually mine is a 6" Colt Python. I carried it from 1979 to 1982 when I sent it back to Colt to replace a buldged barrel. I retired it for a S&W 28-2. Now I carry a government issued Beretta 92FS on duty. A few years ago I found a 4" Colt Python to match my 6 incher. The feel of the grips, the trigger, everything came back. It felt natural. It rides with me off-duty now more than any other gun I own. I have never gotten rid of any of my guns over the years. Most I have carried on duty as an armed security officer or off-duty as an armed security officer and now as a police officer. It may sound strange but, I can't bring myself to get rid of (permanently) a good and faithful friend that has brought me home safely many times over.

I bought an old 6906 police tradein about 6 months ago,it goes bang everytime,which reminds me I need to make a nice holster for it so I can carry it on days the 1911 might get scratched up.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Nothing wrong with you at all...

WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME ?
    There is nothing wrong with you. It is hard to part with an old gun that you have had many years. The gun becomes part of you, and looking at it reminds you of events from your past. You kept the gun all these years because it worked well, and gave you no reason to sell it.

I have a S&W model 39 that I bought new in 1968 for about $125. I shot it over the years and it always worked well. It was eventually overshadowed by Glocks, Sigs and Colts that were more modern, but I kept the old model 39 and took it out for shooting every once in awhile. I got some new grips one time and thought it looked better, which revived my interest in it. Now I've owned the gun for 42 years and don't think I would ever sell it. It is like an old friend.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Old School, I think that gun has cast a spell on you and the only safe thing for you to do is box it right up and send it to me for safe keeping!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    There is nothing wrong with you. It is hard to part with an old gun that you have had many years. The gun becomes part of you, and looking at it reminds you of events from your past. You kept the gun all these years because it worked well, and gave you no reason to sell it.

I have a S&W model 39 that I bought new in 1968 for about $125. I shot it over the years and it always worked well. It was eventually overshadowed by Glocks, Sigs and Colts that were more modern, but I kept the old model 39 and took it out for shooting every once in awhile. I got some new grips one time and thought it looked better, which revived my interest in it. Now I've owned the gun for 42 years and don't think I would ever sell it. It is like an old friend.

Beautiful 39. They had one of the best feeling grips going. The only one I liked better was the Hi-Power.

Hiram the only one I would ever consider letting that gun go to would be another copper. Did you ever work with a Lieutenant name Bob Vannel ? He retired in the 80's and came down to Florida and took a second police career for 10 years and pulled a pension from here also.
    He was a great guy.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    I had a day off during the week today and since I am getting close to retirement I thought I might go into the gunsafe and see about thinning out the herd. I have this old 6906 S&W that I have had since the 80's that use to get carried off duty alot until I got my first Glock. Once I got the G 19 the 6906 lost some of it's allure for me. I felt I didn't need the bright stainless steel since it was not "tactically" in vogue anymore. Also why did I need a hammerdrop safety and a magazine disconnect. I had a safe action trigger now. The 6906 and the Galco paddle holster were put in the gunsafe. The G 19 became the off duty carry. Well today I pulled out the 6906 in it's original box with it's three 12 round mags and extra recoil springs and the Galco holster. I figured I would take it down to my local gun shop and see about that G 36 with the night sights that has been calling my name for some time now. The 6906 looked good with it's Hogue grip sleeve and bright stainless finish. There was some holster wear on the alloy frame from years ago being carried on a regular basis but that just added to the individualality of the piece. It still felt natural in my hand and though it had been several years since I had taken it to the range there was a strong desire to run a magazine or two through it.
    I worked the action and it was just as smooth as it had always been and had the old Smith and Wesson quality made solid steel gun feel to it. That's when I realized that this was a fruitless excersize I was attempting to embark on. There was no way I was going to trade this gun off. I'm thinking that maybe I should get a Highnoon IWB Public Secret holster like the Glocks ride in ( yes there are more than just the G 19 now) for the 6906. I'm thinking maybe a little bright stainless might not be so bad after all. I'm thinking this 6906 is a darn good looking weapon and it always did shoot well in my hands. I'm thinking I kept it this long why not keep it a little longer.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME ?
    I have a 6906 that I inherited and I just love to hold it cause it just feels right. I also have a 25 round magazine plus the two regular mags. I know it belonged to a U.S Marshal before my fatherinlaw bought it from him. This might be the year I contact Smith and Wesson and find out a little about its history.

I don't

think there is anything wrong with you. I had to sell off a few things from the safe over the years, do to financial reasons. I do still morn there passing. I hope to never be in a posision where that will ever happen again. ( But then maybe theres something wrong with me too... LOL ).
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

Nothing wrong with you.I would take a third Generation S&W over a Glock any day.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Connecting with 'old loves' is a great thing to do. Glad you had the 'chance meeting'.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I love my first carry gun a 6946 and do love a stainless gun. Nothing wrong with you and the 69xx needs love also so carry it and shoot it.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Nothing wrong with you. 3rd generation all-steel Smiths say "class".

wyo-man

Locked out on a balcony of the Dark Tower...
    I miss my Beretta 96D :(
    All Day I Dream About Sigs

I bought my dad a 6906 last summer..it is one of the most accurate 9mm's I have ever shot....never has jammed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links