I was at the gun store, Rossi .357

This is a discussion on I was at the gun store, Rossi .357 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey everyone, I was a local gun store yesterday and was looking at a brand new (never owned that is) Rossi .357 snub. They wanted ...

Thread: I was at the gun store, Rossi .357

Hey everyone, I was a local gun store yesterday and was looking at a brand new (never owned that is) Rossi .357 snub. They wanted $299.99 for it. I was thinking about putting it on lay away. They told me that its essentially a taurus with the Rossi name.

Its blue, rubber grips, nice gun. I didn't handle it too long.I was in a bit of a rush, my dog was in the car and it was hot out.

So what's the ruling would it be worth the $300 bucks or no?

(Also saw a nice RIA 3.5 inch barrell .45) $450.00 not real into it right now.

Thanks in advance.

Jason
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

Locked out on a balcony of the Dark Tower...
    Yikes, Rossi and Taurus are each others spouses. You get what u pay for, id say no way. but im not trying to irritate. I had a Taurus go KB.
    see if you can pick up a used sp101! You might have to pitch in another 75 bucks or 100.
    best of luck if you do go rossi
    All Day I Dream About Sigs

Or charter arms at least, i havent seen anything bad on DC about charter yet.

I bought a Rossi 851 38 special with 4" barrell in early april. I put 50 rounds of semi-wadcutters thru it ok. I was dryfiring it with snapcaps and it lockedup on me. The hammer pivot pin broke. The dealer I got it from sent it back on April 27th. here it is the 29th of June and still don't have it back yet. They didn't look at it untill last week. They are going to replace the gun but the replacement is on backorder so who knows how long it will be. Taurus stands behind their warranty but turnaround time is rediculous. I only bought it to use as a range gun but so far it's not been a good one. I would not recommend buying a Taurus/Rossi for a first gun purchase because of repair time. I have carry guns that are dependable so the 2 months plus that I have been without it is not that big of deal. I WOULD NOT buy another Taurus/Rossi product. Smith & Wesson has around a 2 week repair time.

a prime example of Taurus's notorious quality service.

see my thread about a gun blowing up in my buddies hand, might be on page 2 by now? havent looked in a while. about the only thing that didnt break on that sucker was the firing pin...pssshahahaha!

I've shot the snub-nose rossi .357. I can't remember the model number but the trigger was really bad compared to others I've fired. We also had some pretty hot loaded rounds in it, boy it was not easy to get a follow up shot on target.

This would not be my first gun, but would be only the second snubby I ever had, the last one was an old rossi. I'm just shopping so I will keep all this in mind.
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

Quote Originally Posted by AllAbtSlfDef View Post
    ...was looking at a brand new (never owned that is) Rossi .357 snub. They wanted $299.99 for it...

So what's the ruling would it be worth the $300 bucks or no?...

Thanks in advance.

Jason
    My wife has a stainless 3" Rossi .22LR that she packs around the farm, mostly for dispatching copperheads. We've been very satisfied with it. Have had no problems. Dunno about their .38/.357's.

You might look around for an EAA Windicator. They can be had for about $260 brand new, and I think it's probably a better quality gun, overall. Made in Germany by Weirauch.

Just my $.02.

Regards,
    Jim

I have a 6" Rossi .357 Mag, and it's been great.

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AllAbtSlfDef View Post
    So what's the ruling would it be worth the $300 bucks or no?
    In my humble opinion, and since you asked.....

I would run the other way. Not because I think $300.00 is expensive and not because I'm closed minded (okay, maybe I am but that's another thread).

You have to remember that .357 magnum is a VERY high pressure round. For that reason, and I fully expect a few flames for this, I wouldn't touch the Rossi's and Tauruses of the world. I won't bore you with my crappy Taurus experiences because that's not relevant to the thread. But I will say this; I have no interest in firing an extremely high pressure round from the likes of a Rossi. Period.

Conversely, you could save a couple hundred more and have a Ruger SP101 in some flavor or a nice Smith and Wesson. With either of those, I wouldn't worry about it not being able to handle the force of a .357. You can also find deals on good used ones. Unless they've been intentionally abused, you can't go wrong.

The Rossi will also have extremely weak resale compared to the others, as well. There are plenty of people out there who think like me and will never touch one.

The SP101 in particular is built like a tank. If you can damage it on purpose, then you're a very creative guy. That SP101 will give you a peace of mind that the Rossi won't.

And yes, someone will come in here and tell me how many thousands of rounds their Rossi has across it. I don't care.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Links