New XD owner with some questions and pics!

This is a discussion on New XD owner with some questions and pics! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, Well I was finally able to pickup my 45c and 40sc yesterday. I've noticed a few things that I'm not sure are normal or ...

Thread: New XD owner with some questions and pics!

New XD owner with some questions and pics!

Hi,

Well I was finally able to pickup my 45c and 40sc yesterday. I've noticed a few things that I'm not sure are normal or not. First, the 45c trigger lever is tighter than that of the 40sc and you can hear (slightly) the spring moving (stretching). Very low sounding screech. Is that normal? Secondly, the mag release on the 45c is much easier to depress than that of the 40sc when fully loaded. The 40sc mag is very tight when fully loaded which makes it near impossible to release the mag with a full load. Not to concerned about releasing with a full load, but even if I have 6 rounds in the mag its difficult. That's not good for tactical reloads. I'm hoping it just because the 40sc mag springs are still VERY tight and need to break in. Thirdly, the recoil springs assemblies on both appear to be poorly finished where they lock towards the breach end of the barrel. On the 45C there seems to be a tiny ding in the center. The 45C recoil rod is on the left and 40sc on the right. Oh yeah, I also have a a very tiny scratch on the slide just above the "T" in SUB-COMPACT. Not sure if it was there when I bought the gun, but don't know how I could have done that. . Should I just use some black ink/paint and a toothpick or just leave it alone? I'm a bit anal retentive .

I'm including some pics of the boys. Thanks
    Attached Images
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified
    SA XD45C, XD40sc (SA Combat Trigger Job, XS Big Dot Sights)

The #1 goal of police work is to go home at the end of your shift!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    I've had a 45 Compact for 3.5 years and it's been outstanding. I've never fired the .40 Subcompact so I have no basis for comparison.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ajgranda View Post
    Hi,

Well I was finally able to pickup my 45c and 40sc yesterday.
    Congrats! Both are great guns!

I've noticed a few things that I'm not sure are normal or not. First, the 45c trigger lever is tighter than that of the 40sc and you can hear (slightly) the spring moving (stretching). Very low sounding screech. Is that normal?
    This was not the case with my XD45. Lever was silent and correctly fitted.

Secondly, the mag release on the 45c is much easier to depress than that of the 40sc when fully loaded. The 40sc mag is very tight when fully loaded which makes it near impossible to release the mag with a full load. Not to concerned about releasing with a full load, but even if I have 6 rounds in the mag its difficult. That's not good for tactical reloads. I'm hoping it just because the 40sc mag springs are still VERY tight and need to break in.
    This is pretty normal across the XD platform. It will get better with some break-in.

Thirdly, the recoil springs assemblies on both appear to be poorly finished where they lock towards the breach end of the barrel. On the 45C there seems to be a tiny ding in the center. The 45C recoil rod is on the left and 40sc on the right.
    Both look normal to me.

Oh yeah, I also have a a very tiny scratch on the slide just above the "T" in SUB-COMPACT. Not sure if it was there when I bought the gun, but don't know how I could have done that. . Should I just use some black ink/paint and a toothpick or just leave it alone? I'm a bit anal retentive .
    If they are to be safe queens then I would fix the scratch. If they are to see actual carry duty there will be more scratches and finish damage to come. I have dropped mine on concrete, wood decks, pavement and in dirt. My holster has worn the finish over the years of drawing and holstering.

I personally don't mind some character marks.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Congrats on the new tools! My father has the 45c and I've shot it a lot. I didn't notice the trigger creep or spring noise. My sc smoothed out considerably after about 600 rds. the trigger and mag release are very smooth now.
    Russell
    XD9 Service
    XD9 SC

Magazine <> clip - know the difference

Hi,

Well I was finally able to pickup my 45c and 40sc yesterday. I've noticed a few things that I'm not sure are normal or not. First, the 45c trigger lever is tighter than that of the 40sc and you can hear (slightly) the spring moving (stretching). Very low sounding screech. Is that normal? Secondly, the mag release on the 45c is much easier to depress than that of the 40sc when fully loaded. The 40sc mag is very tight when fully loaded which makes it near impossible to release the mag with a full load. Not to concerned about releasing with a full load, but even if I have 6 rounds in the mag its difficult. That's not good for tactical reloads. I'm hoping it just because the 40sc mag springs are still VERY tight and need to break in. Thirdly, the recoil springs assemblies on both appear to be poorly finished where they lock towards the breach end of the barrel. On the 45C there seems to be a tiny ding in the center. The 45C recoil rod is on the left and 40sc on the right. Oh yeah, I also have a a very tiny scratch on the slide just above the "T" in SUB-COMPACT. Not sure if it was there when I bought the gun, but don't know how I could have done that. . Should I just use some black ink/paint and a toothpick or just leave it alone? I'm a bit anal retentive .

the trigger sounds is normal in xd's

I have the XD40sc. Tight mag release when loaded is normal. Push up on the bottom of the mag slightly and them press and it will release easier. The mag spring is tight when fully compressed and it puts pressure on the mag retension which makes it hard to release.

If you are going to carry them, then they will get holster and carry wear. It happens to tools when you use them as tools. The 40sc is a great shooter and accurate to be such a short barrel. You'll like it and want to carry it if you shoot it much.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I have the XD40sc. Tight mag release when loaded is normal. Push up on the bottom of the mag slightly and them press and it will release easier. The mag spring is tight when fully compressed and it puts pressure on the mag retension which makes it hard to release.

If you are going to carry them, then they will get holster and carry wear. It happens to tools when you use them as tools. The 40sc is a great shooter and accurate to be such a short barrel. You'll like it and want to carry it if you shoot it much.
    I agree with BugDude, I carry my SA XD40 SC daily and it gets better everyday. It's a great little gun!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

dito here too. XD40SC
    after 600 or so that mag springs relax a bit. after 1200 or so I am very comfortable and proficient with it.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Thanks for the replies. The trigger doesn't have any creep on the 45c. It's just the little safety lever in the middle that is ever so slight. If it wasn't because I have a 40sc, which has none, I wouldn't have noticed. Also, do the pics of my guide rods look alright. The finish on the bottom ends of both aren't completely finished in black and actually look worn for a brand new gun. Normal? Thanks again
    Last edited by ajgranda; July 1st, 2010 at 07:42 PM.
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified

Hi,

all of that is part of mystique of XD ownership

I wouldn't try to fix the scratch with paint. You may make it worse and more obvious. If the scratch really bothers you take it back to where you bought it.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Hi! nice rig...I own a XD .45 service model and love it!! its like a fat chick..It eats everything I feed it!!!...Enjoy!

GM
    Enjoy them!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Hi, I decided to call SA CS. Wow is all can say. I told them the situation with both guns and that they were being brand new, never fired and just mfr'd a month ago. They said they would send out a return shipping label for the XD45C and would look at the trigger lever and recoil spring rod. They didn't even want pics. I told them I wanted to have a combat trigger job and XS sights put on afterwords and they said no problem. So, it turns out I will be sending it to the Custom Shop free of charge! With the XD40sc they said they will ship me a new recoil spring rod without even being sure if there was actually something wrong with mine besides the color fade on the bottom. Again they did not request pictures. The scratch is so small I just touched it up with a Sharpie. Many thanks to Kate of SA! This was one of the reasons why I went with Springfield!
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified

Links