Which J-frame do you carry?

This is a discussion on Which J-frame do you carry? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just curious which S&W J-frame you carry and why? Or, maybe you carry a similar sized Rossi, Charter Arms, etc. I'm looking to add a ...

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Which J-frame do you carry?

Somewhere Near Lucky Ned Pepper's Hideout

Talking Which J-frame do you carry?

Just curious which S&W J-frame you carry and why? Or, maybe you carry a similar sized Rossi, Charter Arms, etc.

I'm looking to add a S&W 642 CT or a 340 M&P CT as a BUG/warm weather pocket carry. I'm leaning toward the 642, since it costs less and I don't shoot .357 Mags out of J-frames all too often.

How do you carry yours? Pocket, ankle, IWB? Is it your main EDC or your BUG?

Thanks for your input.

2. Remove Ads

M&P 340, no CT. I love the ability to practice with 38, and carry GDHP Short barrel .357. Its less than a can of coke unloaded. In a pocket, it disappears and is forgotten about by the user until needed. I love mine, best purchase I have made for a small gun. I use a Desantis Nemesis pocket rig 95%, the other 5% is a Galco Summer special in black.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Smith&Wesson 442. If I understand correctly, its the same as a 642, but with a black/dark finish, wich I prefer. I managed to catch one of my favorite gun shops on a crazy sale, and got it for LESS money than the compareable Taurus, Charter, or Ruger. I handled the Taurus, Charter, and Ruger LCR,and Ruger SP101. (with, and without CT. I have a p3at with CT, I figured on wanting the LCR most before I went in.) After handling them; I must say I really did not care for the LCR. The non-ct LCR boot grip was slightly larger than the S&W , wich is enough to make it more noticeable for pocket carry, and it didn't feel as "tight" or "smooth", wich is odd as I REALLY liked the way the sp101 felt, but clearly too large for pocket carry.

Can't go wrong with the Smith! Had the Charter or Taurus been substaincially less expensive than the smith, theres a high probability I'd own/carry that instead! I bought mine right before all these threads about Taurus quality issues, so I'm glad I didn't end up with the Taurus.

If it was in my budget, I really think I'da gotten an M&P 340 with CT. I might add CT later to my 442, and I"m VERY satisfied with it.

(Sidenote: I EDC at least one speed strip weakside. )

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

los
    S&W Model 40 carried in Lobo Gun Leather gear.

For my first carry revolver, I wanted something unique, shiny, retro and vintage. I found the grip safety on the model 40 very appealing and the fact that it's rated for +P ammo, sealed the deal for me.

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

I carry 642 CT everyday.

This thread is having the same effect on me as a grill full of food, my mouth is watering and I want one of each lol I didn't realize there were so many options in J frames.

I looked at a 642 and the ct version and really liked it.

Jason
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I carry a S&W 637 OWB under a cover shirt almost every day in the field. In "season" (snake season) it's loaded with 2 CCI shot shells followed by 3 JHP+P's, otherwise it's 5 JHP+P's. For me, it's just another tool on the tool belt "in the field", and a tool that does get used at my "work place".

surv

VIP Member
    637 for me. I had a high end scandium model years ago, but it did not hold up as well. Plus I never shot the .357 load, so the airweight is a better value for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by los View Post
    S&W Model 40 carried in Lobo Gun Leather gear.

For my first carry revolver, I wanted something unique, shiny, retro and vintage. I found the grip safety on the model 40 very appealing and the fact that it's rated for +P ammo, sealed the deal for me.

That is too cool. Beautiful.

After I get my 642 or 340, I'll have to put a classic J-frame on my wish list.

Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    I carry a S&W 637 OWB under a cover shirt almost every day in the field.
    Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    637 for me. I had a high end scandium model years ago, but it did not hold up as well. Plus I never shot the .357 load, so the airweight is a better value for the money.
    637s back-to-back. I wasn't expecting that. But, hey, that's why I asked.

A 638 with CT. I have OWB and IWB holsters for it, but it rides about 95 percent of the time in a Mika Pocket Holster. For me this is the quickest and most comfortable way to carry. Fires double action like a 642, has single action capability for when I'm plinking or just foolin' around, and is snag free. Kinda homely,though.

I have a Model 60 LadySmith. I like wood grips, have small hands, and the LS grip is designed for small hands...maybe too small, in fact, although that is a pleasant change for me! I like the ability to shoot single action, although I understand why a great many prefer double action only. It has a very smooth trigger pull, and I think I could live with it DAO if needed.

I'm experimenting with holsters, so can't say about them.

I don't mind shooting it with .357, but I honestly think for self defense, it is fine with .38+P ammo. I use the Buffalo Bore - 158 grain at around 1000 fps. I wouldn't hesitate to get a .38 only gun. In an airweight, I'm sure I would want to stick to .38 ammo!

I infrequently carry a J-Frame Smith & Wesson as a pocket gun. I prefer the steel frame Chief's Special with a hammer spur. I like the option of cocking the revolver and the steel frame offers more weight soak up recoil of +P 158 grain ammunition.

If I tote a snub it is more often a round butt K-Frame Model 10 snub or the Colt Detective Special as they fit for my purposes as well as the J-Frame. My wife does like the Model 642.

Here's the Chief's Special, an older model (top right) with its buds.

Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    When I do carry my 642Ct it's in a uncle mikes ankle rig.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Links