Commander 1911's - Pro Carry II

This is a discussion on Commander 1911's - Pro Carry II within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; From this weekend until September 3rd I'm going to be working 80 hour weeks. This means I will be getting some nice over time and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Commander 1911's - Pro Carry II

Commander 1911's - Pro Carry II

From this weekend until September 3rd I'm going to be working 80 hour weeks. This means I will be getting some nice over time and as a present to myself for working like a mad man I decided I was going to buy myself a new gun. My initial thought was I wanted a AR-15 however I keep talking myself out of it. Then I was considering a Mini-14 but kept talking myself out of it for pretty much the same reasons as I did the AR. Then a thought popped into my head a couple days ago that I HAVEN'T been talking myself out of. I want a commander 191!

No, I'm not getting rid of my Glock 26 :) I just wouldn't mind having something else to stick in the rotation. I have a full size Colt 1911 which I really like so I figured why not get one a bit smaller for carry as well. Here where I need the advice. I'm not really a 1911 guy. I love them and I love to shoot them but I just don't really know that much ABOUT them.

I know that pretty much everyone and their mom makes a full size 1911 but when it comes to commander size the list shortens considerably. Honestly, other then Kimber I don't know of anyone else that makes them other then the super high end custom stuff. I have heard Kimber's have a bit of a spotty record when it comes to feeding but I also heard that their customer service is good and they take care of the customers. So the question is this then is this. Do you like the Pro carry II? If not can you suggest something else around the same price range(700-750) that would be a good buy?

Thanks all!
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    FWIW, I've had my eye on this:

Commander Model

The problem is that its a new model, it's hard to find (but there are places to order it from), but there is just about zero feedback on them. How 'bout a range report?

I have an older Commander sized Kimber model called Custom Compact that I bought used a few years ago. I've fired about 600 rounds through it, mostly reloads, without a glitch. Accurate, too. This one has the base iron sights, hard for these old eyes to see in dim light. That,s about the only thing I'd like to improve. I guess I need to dust off my check book and get some better sights.

Well, there are several options really. Let's start with what I have, a Series 80 Colt Combat Commander (all steel) and a Kimber ProCrimson Carry II (LW frame), which is the same frame size of Kimber as what you are talking about. I really like both these guns, a lot.

Dan Wesson makes an awesome Commander length gun as well as their Bobtail CCO. Beautiful guns. I will either have one of these or the upcoming Colt Special Combat Officers, which sports a Commander slide on an Officers LW frame. One of these is on my short list. Here's pics of my two...

I personally think the 4"-4.25" 1911's are the perfect carry weapon and have carried one for the last 15 years. The balance is perfect and the shorter eye relief for the sights is not enough that my aging eyes detect. I carry a Wilson Combat Professional, and while not a true "Commander" it works perfectly for me.

I recently picked up a Colt Commander that I am reworking for my son. He wanted my Wilson but I am giving him something he will enjoy just as much when I am finished with it.
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

$900 will put this in your holster:

(never had an issue--it's been more reliable than my two glock 19's )

I don't have a ton of experience with 4" 1911s, but I'll share my experiences regarding the two brands I own:

I have two Pro Carry IIs. One is black, the other stainless. The black one was purchased new & did have a few issues that prompted a return to Kimber. It has been perfect since it's return, feeding everything I put in it. I found Kimber's customer service to be very good.

The stainless Pro Carry II was purchased very recently. It was on consignment in "like new" condition at the local range for a price I couldn't pass up. It too has been flawless, eating 250 rounds of FMJ & 150 rounds of various HPs without issue.

I also have a Springfield Lightweight Champion Bi-Tone that was purchased several months ago. It was also purchased while on consignment, being sold as "new, never fired". I believe this pistol to be 4-5 years old.

The Springer has been problematic. Fit & finish is certainly nothing to be proud of. It feeds FMJ's OK, but is very, very iffy regarding HPs. IMHO, this is due to a design flaw with the barrel/frame fit. This pistol has night sights that I find just horrible when compared to Kimbers. I do realize that this is very subjective based on my aging eyes.
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

All great advice. I'm a Colt man when it comes to 1911's....so my $.02 is find the original Commander from the folks up in Hartford!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Most 1911 manufacturers make a Commander (or similarly sized) model. Springfield's version has a 4" barrel, as opposed to the 4.25" on a true commander, called Champion. S&W also has the 1911PD which is available in a Commander configuration. Colt, as already mentioned, has several options.

The biggest problem I have with the Pro Carry II is the barrel material. Despite appearances it is NOT stainless steel, but rather unfinished carbon steel. This is a deal breaker for me on a carry piece.
    Current armament:
    Ruger 10/22
    Remington 870 Express 20ga.
    S&W M&P40c
    S&W 642

Quote Originally Posted by Dleavitt View Post
    The biggest problem I have with the Pro Carry II is the barrel material. Despite appearances it is NOT stainless steel, but rather unfinished carbon steel. This is a deal breaker for me on a carry piece.
    I'm not very up on materials and such. Why is that a deal breaker on a carry piece for you?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Dleavitt View Post
    I thought that this may be an issue too until I realized that with reasonable care and maintenance (especially important for an EDC), the whole barrel rust issue is really not an issue. My .02.
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I'm not very up on materials and such. Why is that a deal breaker on a carry piece for you?
    For me, it is peace of mind. Stainless steel is much more resistant to rust than "regular" carbon steel, and is just one less thing I need to worry about. That being said, I would carry a gun without a stainless barrel, just not at Kimber's price. Springfield at least parkerizes their non-stainless barrels, and they can be purchased for hundreds less. Likewise, for $50-60 more I can get a 1911 Commander with everything the Kimber has but with a stainless barrel.

Is it really that big of a deal? Probably not. But for me, at least, it causes me to look elsewhere. If the Pro Carry had a stainless barrel, I'd likely have one already!
    Current armament:
    Ruger 10/22
    Remington 870 Express 20ga.
    S&W M&P40c
    S&W 642

i have the full size kimber and a stainless commander. i got the commander used for a good price but still have some regrets. my brother has the light weight colt commander, the frame knocks off 7 oz. and i like that better, also they make these guns in a bob tail, rounded butt. they did it to make them conceal better but i have found out something even better about them. it stops the bottom corner of the butt from jamming into the palm of my hand, i love the grip . also most grips are cut out for the main spring pin and that cuts into my hand also. so for me a light weight bob tailed commander will be my next 1911. kimber makes one but it is a bi-tone. wish it was all black. dan wesson make them too. just my 2 cents, good luck.

My dos centavos: My favorite configuration for a carry 1911-type is a Commander-length upper on an Officer's lower, like the Colt CCO. Kimber Compacts are a 4" (1/4" less than true Commander) upper on an Officer's length lower. I prefer the full-Commander upper, since the spring tunnel is then long enough to use a conventional spring plug, guide and bushing, instead of the full-length guide rod and bull barrel of the 4" guns. The Pro-Carry guns are 4" uppers on Gov't length lowers. I find that I can conceal and carry a full-size 5" gun about as easily as I can a Pro-Carry size gun, since the butt is usually what prints, if anything does. On a Gov't length frame, a Brown Bobtail makes sense. The Baer Stinger I've been carrying lately is a 4 1/4" upper on an Officer's length lower, which is ideal to me. YMMV.

I really prefer the Commanders and am starting to love the bobtails. I've owned half a dozen Kimbers in the past couple years. They're nice guns but I won't be buying any more. Now, if I was, it would be the Pro Carry and I could take it from there. I don't like the stuff they "customize" other than the SIS Pro I carried for over a year.

Now, Springfield makes one heck of a gun and I personally would go for one of those before I went for a Kimber. I could then send it off and have some work done to it a little at a time if money was holding me back from buying a custom or semi-custom to start with. besides, if you've never owned and extensively used a 1911, the difference between a mass produced 1911 and a custom won't be that great and you most likely won't see the value. I think most guys see the difference and feel it's worth the extra money AFTER owning AND USING a less expensive 1911. I think a Springfield will be just as reliable as the higher end gun. Kimbers are hit or miss where Springfield is consistently a good gun.

With a little love and finesse, you can have yourself one heck of a gun over a little time. Remember though, these aren't Sigs or Glocks, they need some of your attention from time to time. It's not a matter of getting them to run, it's more about paying attention to them so they run like they're meant to. They're a reason so many call the 1911 a professionals gun or say the 1911 is not for the new guy. I don't agree to that extent, but I do feel some experience in the field is a plus and the gun is appreciated most buy serious shooters, etc.

Here's a few of mine.

VBOB - Getting some Larry Davidsom Wyrm or VZ Gatorbacks

Talon II Lightweight bobtail

Ed Brown Executive Carry

Kimber CDP Pro II (Sold it)

Kimber SIS Pro - Sold it, but it was an awesome gun even though I have my own opinion on Kimber.

I also have a Nighthawk PDP Commander in Diamond Black on the way and will most likely add a Nighthawk Predator II bobtail (Commander) when I order my 5" Nighthawks later this year.

I've had great success with Commanders. I like the fact that the slide travels a little farther on the full size guns tolerating weaker springs and mags a little better.

My Wilson CQB next to my SIS Pro

I have 5" 1911's. I have a number of Sigs and HKs and many other handguns. I like all of them, but I LOVE my Commander 1911's. I prefer them for carry and enjoy them the most at the range. Other guns have their place and I use them, but I truly love my Commanders.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links