Beretta PX4 Owners HELP!!!

Beretta PX4 Owners HELP!!!

This is a discussion on Beretta PX4 Owners HELP!!! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been on the search for a new fullsized range/home pistol. I have been taking my time with this one and over the last couple ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Beretta PX4 Owners HELP!!!

I've been on the search for a new fullsized range/home pistol. I have been taking my time with this one and over the last couple months have gathered a lot of info on and handled Sig Pro's, H&K USP, and XD's. This week I handled a Beretta PX4 and it took me completely by surprise. It has been tough to get off my mind since. The PX4 seems to be an outstanding value at $500 for what you get:

Modular grip sizes, quality craftsmanship, 17+1 9mm capacity, low/no light sights, and innovative design including rotating barrel system. Most importantly it felt "right" in my hand. Thought I would ask our owners a for their opinions on:

*reliability
    *accuracy
    *controls
    *rotating barrel system
    *superluminova sights
    *what kind of custom leather is available

Links:

http://www.px4storm.com/index.aspx?m=53&did=62

http://www.berettausa.com/product/sp...pistol_px4.cfm

Thanks in advance for the input!!! Feel free to post pics of yours.

CombatCarry File Photo Added QKS
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

VIP Member
    Calling Age Ranger, Garg and the other Beretta Faithful....come in please, over.

A friend has a Px4 in 9mm which I've shot a few times. Conclusion? The Px4 is a fantastic piece of Italian metal and plastic. Truly worthy of being called a "Beretta."

I'm waiting for the .45 ACP-chambered Px4 to (finally) be available; I'm debating getting one in 357 SIG if and when they are around too, but I really (really!!!) like my 357 SIG-chambered SIGARMS SP2340 sig pro a lot.

This site: http://www.berettaforum.net has tons of info on the Px4.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I have a PX4 and I love this gun .It shoots well and I think the sights have a residual glow to them almost like nights sights . And I agree with you srfl I am waiting for it in 45ACP. Still looking for a good holster I am using an Iwb holster made by planet holster but looking for something better.merlin45kout

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin45k
    I have a PX4 and I love this gun .It shoots well and I think the sights have a residual glow to them almost like nights sights . And I agree with you srfl I am waiting for it in 45ACP. Still looking for a good holster I am using an Iwb holster made by planet holster but looking for something better.merlin45kout
    Age Ranger got a sharkskin IWB holster from Rafter S Gunleather...it is beautiful looking! He can comment and post photos if he posts on this thread.

I'm not big on the "superluminova sights".....I prefer at least a tritium front sight and will get that whenever I get my own Px4.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Assistant Administrator
    More I hear about the PX4 - the more interested I get

I am wondering if there might be one in my future tho - as yet - never ever had a Beretta, anything!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Chris...just curious....would this be a hypothetical 9mm or .40 Beretta added to your ever-growing collection?
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Assistant Administrator
    Hypothetically - probably 9mm - but I am a very flexible guy - most so if someone else is paying
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Shot a friend's PX4 9mm for the first time a week and a half ago.
    Shooting the first target, an NRA B29 silhouette at 7 yards, Weaver, the initial round was in the 9-ring and the next fourteen rounds made a ragged hole about the size of a quarter in the X-ring. Muzzle flip was minimal to non-existent thanks to the rotating barrel.

I saved that target, because, although I own a 8040 Cougar, a 96G-SD, and a 92G Centurion, the PX4 was easiest to be that accurate with right outta the box.

When Beretta introduces the PX4 in a compact size, I will own one.
    "Maintain the combat stance in everyday life,
    and make your everyday stance your combat stance."
    - Miyamoto Musashi

I have to say the PX4 was enough gun to get me to trade my 92G Elite 1A for a .22!!!! I've found the PX4 to be a totally dependable weapon. I've got about 2000 rounds through it and carry it daily.

The recoil is more of a straight back feeling as opposed to alot of muzzle flip. I was suprised to see how controllable it was and it's no doubt a result of the rotating barrel. Follow up shots and double taps are very impressive. Grip is great but not superb. The future of aftermarket grips isn't great, but the interchangeabe backstraps makes it adjustable to the shooter. Accuracy is impressive. Off a bench I was able to put 3 rounds through the same hole at 7yds. and the 17 round mags were very nice. I added the lanyard loop, slim levers (decock only) and added a 20 round mag. I've found the pistol reliable with over 30 types of ammo and it doesn't seem to prefer to run wet or dry.

I intend to get some lamps installed when Trijicon gets moving on them and as soon as that PX4 compact appears at the end of this year, I'm all over it. That'll probably hapen before you see the .45!! Here's a recent pic of my sharkskin rig made for the PX4. It's a comfy setup that I wear daily.......very light and slim.

One last pic for size comparison.

Thought I'd add that Uncle Mike's #15 IWB works pretty well and I've got 2 Galco holsters for an HK USP Compact that work well with a trigger guard stop installed on one ....Pics below.

While I don't have my PX4 yet (ordered, awaiting shipment), I was afforded the opportunity to shoot the PX4 in .40 at the Beretta Factory in MD. I was impressed enough that I'm getting it in .40.

I have (and have had) the predecessor to the PX4, the Model 8000Cougar. The PX4 is a great continuation of the rotating barrel design. It manages the recoil very well, and does not seem to have the 'high bore axis' issue that most compact polymer pistols have. The design of the barrel and recoil guide rod/spring assembly is a great improvement over the Cougar as well. Essentially, it's the same design, but better.

Accuracy is awesome, and the second I picked up the first PX4 I saw, the controls were totally second nature and completely familiar. The version we shot at Beretta was the 'Type C' (Constant Action), similar to the Sig DAK or H&K LEM, with the exception that it's a SA type rather than a DA type (slide must be racked to set the action rather than allowing a DA pull). It reminds me of the way a Glock or Kahr works, but with a hammer system rather than a striker. The 'Type D' (DAO) and 'Type C' share the same slide and internals, with a few parts that convert from one to the other.

The sights are like any other GITD item, they glow pretty bright for a while and lob off drastically after a little while. The little white, blue, and UV LED's all charge them up great if you've got a little LED light. Personally, I'd prefer to just have the H3 and be done with it.

When the compact version is available, I'm all over it too.
    "I've got a mind like a steel trap... things wander in, and get mangled."
    -Fabbrica d'Armi P. Beretta, dal 1526

Thumbs up

I consider the PX4 to be the best bang for the buck (pun intended) on the market today. It is a fantastic firearm at a more than reasonable price. Recoil with the 9mm is practically non-existant and follow-up shots are childishly easy. Even the 40 has surpringly little felt recoil. Controls are very natural and also can be customized with various sized mag releases and safety controls.

The only gun that I've found to be more accurate in my hand was an HK USP Elite, but with a price tag around a grand I'd expect it to be.

The superluminova sights don't do much for me. Their color is yellower than plain white dot sights and as I use my PX4 in competition the charge to glow concept did nothing for me. I guess as a poor man's night sight they have their place, but I personally painted mine over with Brite Sight's white paint.

Bottom line is this. If it feels good in your hand (and even if it doesn't since there are different size back straps available) you will never regret getting one.

Thanks age ranger I will look into those holsters .merlin45kout

Look at the FNP 9 I bought one after getting tired of waiting for the PX4. I must say that I am not disapointed, it is a great shooting gun. Comes with two backstraps and 3 magazines (16+1), quite accurate and has been reliable.
    MY GUN, MY RIGHT!!

I too fell in love with the Px4 at first touch. I'm about 2,000 rounds into it and have had no problems. I also carry it daily. It's a complete joy to shoot really. I finally let my old lady shoot it (she likes wheel guns) and even she wants one. For the price, it can't be beat imo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links