My new P238 and Sig CS

This is a discussion on My new P238 and Sig CS within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just called Sig to inquire about my P238 repair for a jamming issue. They said it was "just completed" and would ship out today.(2 ...

Thread: My new P238 and Sig CS

My new P238 and Sig CS

I just called Sig to inquire about my P238 repair for a jamming issue. They said it was "just completed" and would ship out today.(2 weeks)
    The issue was primarily a FTE (extract), leaving a spent round in the chamber creating the jam. I couldn't get through a single mag without the jam after about 20 rounds, and I shot 200 rounds trying to break it in. Here's what they said:

1) Replace recoil spring
    2) replace magazine
    3) adjust extractor
    4) test fired 30 rounds of American Eagle 95gr, no failures

I don't understand #1, unless they knew it needed a stiffer spring, like the #12 Wolfe folks seem to be using.

#2 is also confusing because I had the newest style mag

#3 is what I expected

It's due here on Monday. I'll hit the range on Thursday for a follow up report. I sure hope it runs right, or it gets traded on something else at a loss...to me & Sig.
    "I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders"
    Ted Nugent

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    A defective recoil spring could slow down the slide. Although the mag was the newest style, it could have been defective. Adjustment of the extractor is the key factor, but when coupled with the spring and mag, they may have compounded the problem.
    When you test fire it, be sure to use the exact ammo SIG did. Also keep in mind that semi-autos pretty much have their favorite brand/type of ammo. You may be stuck shooting AE 95gr. There are additional modifications that can help. For starters, polishing the feed ramp and slide rails. Good luck.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    A defective recoil spring could slow down the slide. Although the mag was the newest style, it could have been defective. Adjustment of the extractor is the key factor, but when coupled with the spring and mag, they may have compounded the problem.
    When you test fire it, be sure to use the exact ammo SIG did. Also keep in mind that semi-autos pretty much have their favorite brand/type of ammo. You may be stuck shooting AE 95gr. There are additional modifications that can help. For starters, polishing the feed ramp and slide rails. Good luck.
    Agreed, it may have been a couple of problems, and I have no problem with the new stuff. But, .380 ammo is hard to find, and I honestly don't want a pistol that leaves me "stuck" to one brand of ammo. That's just not correct in my view. I have Winchester, Remington and Winchester PDX waiting to test fire.
    Ted Nugent

Quote Originally Posted by Texas solo View Post
    Agreed, it may have been a couple of problems, and I have no problem with the new stuff. But, .380 ammo is hard to find, and I honestly don't want a pistol that leaves me "stuck" to one brand of ammo. That's just not correct in my view. I have Winchester, Remington and Winchester PDX waiting to test fire.
    Funny thing about Sig. They test FIRE ALL their products before they leave the factory. ( Yours might have missed the range for some reason) I suspect you'll probably need to replace the recoil spring they re-installed. There's some discussion about the recoil springs in another ongoing thread. I've been trying to explain the exact nature of your troubles on the other thread. I know the springs are not made in the USA. A Wolf spring may be the answer here. If you still have problems with the gun (I hope you don't) then call Sig again let them know YOU know about other issues with the guns, and you're NOT satisfied with their handeling of the repairs. More than once to the factory for ANY gun, is one too many times in my books.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    More than once to the factory for ANY gun, is one too many times in my books.
    That's the way I feel too. I won't send it out a 2nd time. If necessary, I will try a new spring before trading it off, but honestly, all my problems were extraction, not recoil spring related. I'll know in a few days. Report to follow.
    Ted Nugent

here's to hoping Sig fixed your 238 up for ya. Two weeks, not to bad I guess, but it still hangs to have to send a new pistol in for service. Good luck to ya.

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Links