Thin 1911 grips

Thin 1911 grips

This is a discussion on Thin 1911 grips within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There was a thread that was posted (I think a few weeks ago) that was in regard to some REALLY great looking 1911 grips. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thin 1911 grips

Thin 1911 grips

There was a thread that was posted (I think a few weeks ago) that was in regard to some REALLY great looking 1911 grips. I think the title was something like "Thin Grips" but I tried searching for that and couldn't find it. I believe the grips were possible aluminum and a greyish color if I remember correctly. Anyone know what I am talking about?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    I have thin AlumaGrips on my Defender. Something like this?

"I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    I have thin AlumaGrips on my Defender. Something like this?

Nice looking grips but I'm pretty sure the ones this guy had were smooth finish.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Found it! Wasnt as far back as I thought it was

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...rips-pics.html

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Nice looking grips but I'm pretty sure the ones this guy had were smooth finish.
    They also have smooth ones. Not promoting them at all, but it still sounds like they might be what you saw.

EDIT: Never mind. Glad you found them!

:)
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

The Gartorbacks have a slightly tacky texture. They can be very slightly uncomfortable against your skin all day, but you get used to them. You can also ask them to give them a carry texture where the sand it down a bit. Their 320's are the smoothest they have and their Diamondbacks are like some kind of crazy 100 grit sandpaper made of broken glass. Very good if you want tacky. A thin set of them came on my VBOB.

I had a set of Gatorbacks on my Executive Carry. they were the Blasted Black Canvas. There's a number of finishes. The ones I had got darker with use and cleaned up very easy and looked new again, if you wanted. They were a standard gray when new, then got darker and darker and were black when they were wet. Some are finished and have a sheen to them, but I like the unfinished ones. The thin ones are only about 1/16th thinner, not that much. I have a tan set coming with my Nighthawk PDP and will be ordering another blasted black and a tan set for the Talon II and the VBOB. Some of the best grips out there. I also really like the Larry Davidson Wyrm grips in all black. He'll also give them a carry texture if you'd like.

If you become a friend on Facebook with VZ, they'll give you a $7 discount on a $55+ order with a promo code.

Ed Brown Executive Carry with standard size Blasted Black Canvas VZ Gatorbacks.

Dan Wesson VBOB with thin black VZ . Way too tacky to carry against your skin, at least for me. Going to have the VBOB done in Hard Hat or IonBond and have the top and rear serrated, just thought I'd mention that... This bead blasting rusts very easily.

A couple more of the gatorbacks so you can see the ridged texture

Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I saw your thread about the Commander, Rollo. Already thinking about the grips, huh? ;-)

I've really liked the thin grips since adding them. I like the change in the grip feel, as well as improvements to carry. Acquiring a high, tight grip seems easier because it is every so slightly easier to slide by thumb in between my body and the grip with the thin grips in place.
    Kimber Tactical Ultra II, Kahr PM45, Kahr PM9, Kahr P380

Quote Originally Posted by JPCleary View Post
    I saw your thread about the Commander, Rollo. Already thinking about the grips, huh? ;-)

I've really liked the thin grips since adding them. I like the change in the grip feel, as well as improvements to carry. Acquiring a high, tight grip seems easier because it is every so slightly easier to slide by thumb in between my body and the grip with the thin grips in place.
    Lol, yep, pretty much. I've decided on the Kimber Pro Carry II and I figure if I am going to spend that much on a gun then I'm going to make it exactly what I want.

Almost all my carry guns wear Davidson thin grips: monkeygrips

They are made of G-10, and Larry will do them in many different configurations. Here are some of mine:

I don't have any pictures of the ones I have in all-black, but Larry does them that way, too.

FWIW: I had a set of AlumaGrips on a Les Baer Stinger a few years back. I wore the gun in an IWB holster one day while working in the heat, and sweated on it quite a bit. I wiped the gun off and oiled it at the end of the day, but about a week later, I noticed a bit of rust on the frame along the edge of one grip. Upon removing the grips, I discovered that in that short time, the frame was badly pitted under the grip panels, with the left side (body side) about twice as bad as the right. After cursing myself and the grips soundly, I cleaned off most of the rust and sent the gun off to Virgil Tripp for hardchrome. I'm actually wearing it today, equipped with Davidson grips. I told Gary Brommeland about it, and he had exactly the same thing happen to his 1911. The aluminum grips allow and attract moisture underneath, and set up bimetallic current corrosion. I will not use them on steel frames in the future.

Administrator
    Don't forget to buy the special grip screw bushings.
    You'll need to change them out.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Don't forget to buy the special grip screw bushings.
    You'll need to change them out.
    Is that the type of thing I need to order from some place like brownells or do most people that sell the grips sell that parts?

Hey John,

I didn't know that about aluminum grips. I don't really care for them anyway, but it is nice to know. My VBOB is only about two weeks old and the hammer is rusted a bit and there's slight bit of rust peppered on the left side of the slide. It came off with one of those cloths, but it also added some shine to those areas! No big deal since it'll be refinished though. I couldn't imagine how bad it would be if it had the aluminum grips and with what happened to you.

Thanks for posting that.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Administrator
    Either/or the Brownell's or the Ed Brown. Here go da link.
    (last two on the page)

Brownells Search : Search Results for "thin grip screw bushings" - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

Don't get them on Ebay from RedDogAlaskan.

Here's a set of countoured thin grips that fit the stock bushings. I have a set of the full checkered ones in Ebony. Don't go by the pic in the description. The pic just kind of shows where the countours are, mine are an awesome set of grips.

NAVIDREX : 1911 AUTO CONTOURED GRIPS - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    Hey John,

I didn't know that about aluminum grips. I don't really care for them anyway, but it is nice to know. My VBOB is only about two weeks old and the hammer is rusted a bit and there's slight bit of rust peppered on the left side of the slide. It came off with one of those cloths, but it also added some shine to those areas! No big deal since it'll be refinished though. I couldn't imagine how bad it would be if it had the aluminum grips and with what happened to you.

Thanks for posting that.
    Thanks, Jon. It was a bummer, all right, but you should have heard Gary Brommeland! Gary had recently moved from Florida to Tennessee, working in heat and humidity at both ends of the move. When I told him what had happened to my Stinger, he said, "I better check my 1911!" He did, and it was evidently a much worse mess than my Baer gun was. I think he wound up having his gun Parkerized, but I'm not sure.

The G-10 that Larry uses doesn't absorb much of anything, whether sweat or oil. Even Micarta absorbs some moisture and oil. GatorGrips are G-10, too, aren't they?

Another problem with the AlumaGrips is that grip screws tend to loosen up often if you don't put little o-rings on them. I really like the way they look, and the the thin ones feel good, but I'll only use them on guns with aluminum frames or ones I know I'll not sweat upon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links