Mods for an SP101

This is a discussion on Mods for an SP101 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I want to buy a new SP101 and have some minimum work done by Gemini Customs,however, I don't want a $900 5-shot revolver(gun cost + ...

Thread: Mods for an SP101

Mods for an SP101

I want to buy a new SP101 and have some minimum work done by Gemini Customs,however, I don't want a $900 5-shot revolver(gun cost + basic package of mods). So, I'm thinking only:action job,recontour and polish trigger and bead blast. The other stuff Gemini does is great but I want to keep cost down. Do the revolver guys out there agree that's all I really need done to this tank of a revolver ??
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

2. Remove Ads

I would have them install a Small Wonder front sight. As a matter of fact, that would be my first priority.

SP101 Small Wonder Sights

DIY Jobs

The Ruger SP101 is a great gun! I would suggest getting some metal polish and going over the gun to recontour it, and if you are up to it, you can disassemble the trigger housing and polish many of the contact surfaces there for a "trigger job" I would recommend a lighter hammer spring, those are cheap and can make the trigger pull feel great with the polished surfaces. All of the polishing I did with Mothers Mag, you can get it at almost any auto part store. You can polish the trigger that way too. I recommend you take some the sharp edge off the trigger face, maybe with some high grit sandpaper, 800-1000 maybe (can be also used to recontour the gun). It will take a little while, but it's best to go slow and remove as little as possible. If you are going to conceal carry your SP101, I also recommened a tritium night sight, also not too expensive. Finally, the finish of the gun doesn't really have a practical application so do what you think looks best.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    The simple stuff sounds good to me, and a front sight can certainly be part of the good simple stuff. I have two SP101 snubbies that were worked over by Jack Weigand, who no longer does custom 'smithing, and is mentioned on the Gemini website. Mine got the action job, contoured/polished trigger, bead-blasting, and Trijicon front sights. Best compact carry guns in the world, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    The simple stuff sounds good to me, and a front sight can certainly be part of the good simple stuff. I have two SP101 snubbies that were worked over by Jack Weigand, who no longer does custom 'smithing, and is mentioned on the Gemini website. Mine got the action job, contoured/polished trigger, bead-blasting, and Trijicon front sights. Best compact carry guns in the world, IMHO.
    Thanks Rexster(and you other guys too!). Got any pics of your Weigand 101 ???
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Links