Serious Doubts about the Glock Trigger

This is a discussion on Serious Doubts about the Glock Trigger within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think my G19 requires just as deliberate a pull as the PM9 with the added benefit of the trigger safety... always be careful re ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Serious Doubts about the Glock Trigger

I think my G19 requires just as deliberate a pull as the PM9 with the added benefit of the trigger safety... always be careful re holstering no matter what you carry. i've never worried about catching the bang switch accidentally.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

2. Remove Ads

HK USP, and now the P30s all have DA/SA and manual thumb safties. You can also add a thumb safety to the Glock for about $150. See post 13 above.

it's understandable if the glock trigger makes you nervous, it is less forgiving of an inadvertent tug, than a DA auto.

however, i would simply drop in a NY-1 trigger spring, rather than sell it. this makes it into a heavier DA type pull.

I carry the same gun every day and have yet to have any issues. I wear an undershirt as a buffer between my skin and my Supertuck IWB holster. When re-holstering (which happens at least 3-4 times a day) i just make sure to have my cover shirt out of the way before sliding the gun into place. There's no reason to rush at that time. The Glock trigger is something i have really come to love. My main complaint when shooting another brand is generally the trigger. I know exactly when my Glock is going to shoot, and it does so every time. I understand this is mostly a familiarity issue, but i'm just more familiar with my G23. Don't give up on her, just practice safe gun handling.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    getting extremely comfortable with the gun is the key. after it becomes an extention of your hand manual safety or not its then the best gun you can carry.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Get realistic training in how to handle a weapon in a fight, and stop looking for a technology solution to an training issue.

Spend the money and time to learn your weapon.

Senior Moderator
    First, let me say how much I appreciated your work that Mas referred to. I'm thinking about how to implement them for me and mine.

But, training is no more the total answer than technology is. If that were true we could do away with thumb safeties, internal drop safetys, and grip safeties.

I've seen too many trained guys, even trainers, have accidents, not just in the shooting community but professionals in almost every profession. Two of my well experienced and trained friends had serious cuts from power saws simply because of a momentary loss of concentration.

The grip safety on the XDs are one of the best devices out right now. They don't completely eliminate accidents, but they help. For that matter what is a holster that covers the trigger? It's a safety device. It won't eliminate accidents, but it may reduce them. Must be something to it, every holster maker designs their holsters to cover the trigger.

I was at the range one day practicing draw and fires. I started pushing the time and realized I had lost my grip and the gun was spinning around my finger! A 1911 SA, 4 lb trigger! You know what saved me? The grip safety. When I lost my grip, the grip safety blocked the trigger.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    But, training is no more the total answer than technology is. If that were true we could do away with thumb safeties, internal drop safetys, and grip safeties.

I've seen too many trained guys, even trainers, have accidents, not just in the shooting community but professionals in almost every profession. Two of my well experienced and trained friends had serious cuts from power saws simply because of a momentary loss of concentration.

The grip safety on the XDs are one of the best devices out right now. They don't completely eliminate accidents, but they help. For that matter what is a holster that covers the trigger? It's a safety device. It won't eliminate accidents, but it may reduce them. Must be something to it, every holster maker designs their holsters to cover the trigger.

I was at the range one day practicing draw and fires. I started pushing the time and realized I had lost my grip and the gun was spinning around my finger! A 1911 SA, 4 lb trigger! You know what saved me? The grip safety. When I lost my grip, the grip safety blocked the trigger.
    Technology has it's place; however, it is a poor second to knowing how to run the weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Reholster slow and carefully. There is no reason to speed reholster. I don't know what you mean by deliberate I one hand mine while moving and never have a problem. Even going back to my bhp or 1911. Practice. Keep the glock
    True words. If you're holstering, the threat is dealt with and you don't need to be in a hurry.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Quote Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
    Put in a NY1 trigger spring and see what you think. If you like the take up but the break is on the high side, switch out the stock connector with a 3.5 connector.

The 3.5/NY1 combo is a pretty popular setup.
    Yep. While I usually carry a 1911-type, when I carry one of my Glocks, it is one equipped with the 3.5/NY-1 setup. Actual trigger pull weight varies with this setup, but is usually in the 7-8 lb. range. An NY-1 with a stock "5 lb." connector usually winds up being more like 10-11 lbs. I carried a Glock 32 for about a year, and I fitted a Cominolli safety to it. I had it set up with a stock trigger return spring and a 3.5 lb. connector.

What I like about the 3.5/NY-1 combination is that the pull is more like a short DA pull. I find that I can actually shoot a Glock so equipped a little more precisely than I can shoot one with a stock spring and 5 lb. connector, especially if the connector, trigger bar and striker safety plunger have been polished.

GM
    I think that it is a question of training and more training. Find a way of holstering the pistol that makes you feel safe, and practice it a lot; make it a habit so you do not even need to think about it. If it comes to worst you can install a heavier trigger, but I should never recommend using the Saf-T-Blok or any other kind of trigger block . And if you want to have external safeties then get a DA pistol that has them.

Did you ever look at the Kahr MK9? If you like the PM9 you most probably will love the MK9; I have one and it works flawless. The Walther PPS is other very nice carry pistol.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    I think that it is a question of training and more training. Find a way of holstering the pistol that makes you feel safe, and practice it a lot; make it a habit so you do not even need to think about it. If it comes to worst you can install a heavier trigger, but I should never recommend using the Saf-T-Blok or any other kind of trigger block . And if you want to have external safeties then get a DA pistol that has them.

Did you ever look at the Kahr MK9? If you like the PM9 you most probably will love the MK9; I have one and it works flawless. The Walther PPS is other very nice carry pistol.
    Walther uses the same functionality of a Glock in the trigger if I'm not mistaken. Nice and thin though.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    Walther uses the same functionality of a Glock in the trigger if I'm not mistaken. Nice and thin though.
    You are right . I did not consider that; I thought the OP referred only to Glocks. In any case, I think that the PPS’s trigger feels different than the Glock’s trigger; IMO it feels heavier and less smooth.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Technology has it's place; however, it is a poor second to knowing how to run the weapon.
    Then why have so many experts had accidents with firearms?

Running the gun is fine; but it'll be an uphill battle to argue that the human brain is the best we can do for safety.

How many injuries and deaths do we need to read about to understand the human brain is not a safety. It can be safe, but it can also fatigue, panic, freeze, get distracted, get confused, etc. That just doesn't sound all that safe to me.

Again, running a gun is important, training is important, but let's face reality, how many gun owners are there and what percentage of them are sufficiently trained?

Maybe in a perfect world training would trump technology, but in the real world we live in, thousands of people own guns and have little training. Probably thousands carry guns that are woefully trained.

I watched some LEOs qualify; I can tell you their training, or lack of training, is not the answer, it's the problem.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links