Serious Doubts about the Glock Trigger - Page 4

Serious Doubts about the Glock Trigger

This is a discussion on Serious Doubts about the Glock Trigger within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by MichSteve Issue #1 - re-holstering the G23 especially in the appendix position makes me nervous. My finger is off the trigger, however ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Serious Doubts about the Glock Trigger

los
    Quote Originally Posted by MichSteve View Post

Issue #1- re-holstering the G23 especially in the appendix position makes me nervous. My finger is off the trigger, however if clothing or the edge of holster should catch the trigger that would be bad.
    That hypothetical could easily apply to any handgun. Operator negligence, inattention and lack of training would be on the top tier of causation.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    How do we determine who those people are and how do we prevent them from buying/owning/carrying handguns?
    Honestly? We don't. There is no way to do that without restricting rights and even if there are standards set, it still can't be done. Inherently dangerous activities like shooting, driving, cooking, ect. cannot be made 100% safe no matter what we do. Education and training are the best tools we have but are far from infallible.
    Each of us has to determine what safety features we need or desire in our personal guns and hopefully we choose correctly. Safeties, in general, aren't a bad thing but reliance on them can also give a false sense of security. My personal safety is between my ears. If that fails and I survive it, I had better learn my lesson quick or sell the guns.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    Honestly? We don't. There is no way to do that without restricting rights and even if there are standards set, it still can't be done. Inherently dangerous activities like shooting, driving, cooking, ect. cannot be made 100% safe no matter what we do. Education and training are the best tools we have but are far from infallible.
    Very true, well put. I would only add, that from industry, they go further than education and training. They incorporate all kinds of safety devices to help out their workers.

It doesn't matter if it's wide spaced, dual palm buttons on stamping machines to force workers to have their hands out of the danger area or guards and trigger safeties on power tools. High angle rope access workers are required to have a separate safety line, separate, independent anchor, and fall protection device in addition to their main climbing rope and gear.

ALL this helps protect and reduce the risk of an accident.

...Each of us has to determine what safety features we need or desire in our personal guns and hopefully we choose correctly.
    Again, in a perfect world, but in our real world, many don't get to determine what safety features are needed. They buy a gun, period, they don't even know what they don't know.

...Safeties, in general, aren't a bad thing but reliance on them can also give a false sense of security...
    Absolutely, my position from the start. A safety is ALWAYS a backup, not the primary mechanism.

...My personal safety is between my ears. If that fails and I survive it, I had better learn my lesson quick or sell the guns.
    I guess I just don't get it. We can readily admit that human error (the brain safety) causes the vast, vast, vast majority of gun accidents. Yet we are willing to trust our brain without any kind of back up for human error at all.

In every other walk of life, we are inundated with safety devices etc. to help reduce the risk of unintentional outcomes. But in spite of the clear need for safety features to intervene in times of human error throughout all other industries, when it comes to a firearm, we say we don't need anything but our brain.

But, again, after having said all that, I wouldn't hesitate to carry a Glock or M&P, neither of which has an actual safety, so what do I know anyway?
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links