Serious Doubts about the Glock Trigger

This is a discussion on Serious Doubts about the Glock Trigger within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry a Glock 23,Ruger LCP and a Kahr PM9, I like the double action trigger for carry, especially pocket and appendix carry. The LCP ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

I carry a Glock 23,Ruger LCP and a Kahr PM9, I like the double action trigger for carry, especially pocket and appendix carry. The LCP and PM9 trigger has to travel farther than the Glock trigger.

I have serious reservations about the Glock trigger, I have a G23 that has never fired without me pulling the trigger, it is accurate and has never given any problems. I have only CC for a few months now, the G23 was a range gun up until I got the CCW. It was unloaded and in my safe the past 15 years, so the issue of the trigger never came up.

Issue #1- re-holstering the G23 especially in the appendix position makes me nervous. My finger is off the trigger, however if clothing or the edge of holster should catch the trigger that would be bad.

Issue #2- The Glock trigger is so much different from the Ruger LCP and Kahr PM9, The LCP and Kahr takes a deliberate pull, not so with the G23, so in a stressful situation an accidental discharge could result.

Issue #3- Using the Glock for home defense and Kahr for CC, the transition under stress might result in something going wrong.

Conclusion get rid of the Glock and replace it with a different gun concealed carry and for home defense, I am thinking either 9mm or 45acp, what gun would you recommend? I want a double action trigger so it is like the LCP and PM9, I like the DA platform knowing all triggers will be different, it still is easier to transfer skills from one gun to another.

Why not just get an 8 LB NY trigger installed?

Quote Originally Posted by MichSteve View Post
    I carry a Glock 23,Ruger LCP and a Kahr PM9, I like the double action trigger for carry, especially pocket and appendix carry. The LCP and PM9 trigger has to travel farther than the Glock trigger.

I have serious reservations about the Glock trigger, I have a G23 that has never fired without me pulling the trigger, it is accurate and has never given any problems. I have only CC for a few months now, the G23 was a range gun up until I got the CCW. It was unloaded and in my safe the past 15 years, so the issue of the trigger never came up.

Issue #1- re-holstering the G23 especially in the appendix position makes me nervous. My finger is off the trigger, however if clothing or the edge of holster should catch the trigger that would be bad.

Issue #2- The Glock trigger is so much different from the Ruger LCP and Kahr PM9, The LCP and Kahr takes a deliberate pull, not so with the G23, so in a stressful situation an accidental discharge could result.

Issue #3- Using the Glock for home defense and Kahr for CC, the transition under stress might result in something going wrong.

Conclusion get rid of the Glock and replace it with a different gun concealed carry and for home defense, I am thinking either 9mm or 45acp, what gun would you recommend? I want a double action trigger so it is like the LCP and PM9, I like the DA platform knowing all triggers will be different, it still is easier to transfer skills from one gun to another.
    Glock.....that is the question. Many are not ready, and many more never will be. I understand completely.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoWeBePart1 View Post
    Why not just get an 8 LB NY trigger installed?
    Now actually this might be a good idea for you. I like the feel of the NY#1 trigger spring myself. I ride the reset on the Glock trigger just like I always have since I learned...but the initial pull tells a lot. Glocks are customizable by you with factory parts no problem. Learning and employing the Glock and the trigger of the Glock is an enigma for many, and hence, so many get turned off right away. Usually because they are unwilling to learn and effectively employ what they have in their hands.
    #1 Get a holster that's easy to remove and install IWB or OWB as the case may be, then remove it, and place your loaded Glock into it, then place where you need as a whole.
    #2 In a stressful situation? If you draw your Glock......your intentions are of using it. Plain and simple....there will be no "unintentional discharges". You make the call when it's time, and there can be no accident about that.
    #3 You choose your tools for your intents. If there's ever a conflict with this ideal, choose a different tool. You must be confident in all of your chosen tools. Buy a specialty tool, and know it's specific use. Otherwise you'll have a toolbox full of stuff that you will never depend on because you'll be too busy thinking about the variety of applications. If the method of operation of any of your chosen tools causes you any concern, then further training is in order. Diversify or be overcome. Otherwise remain simple in your ways and on a well lit path. You should know what's best for you. There's no training for that....only intuition and gut instinct......you'll find it or you won't. I sincerely hope your road is without potholes.

Reholster slow and carefully. There is no reason to speed reholster. I don't know what you mean by deliberate I one hand mine while moving and never have a problem. Even going back to my bhp or 1911. Practice. Keep the glock

Re-holstering could be a problem for those who are careless.
    I fully understand your concerns, but EACH and EVERY time I re-holster, I think about my finger, and clothing. Safety, muscle memory, training, and habits are all a part of owning any firearm...no different than any other 'tool'.

Stay armed...by the book...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Finger off trigger, thumb on the back of the slide, reholster. I've never had an issue. If it bothers you that much, install an 8#connector OR a NY1 trigger OR a NY2 trigger (12#).
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

I was a bit concerned about the Glock trigger when I was looking at guns and the first few days I owned my 22 (.40 S&W).

I recommend that you go watch some youtube videos, particularly this one by Floatingaxehead where he drags a Glock behind his truck for a few miles down a bumpy rocky dirt road, tied/dragged by the trigger.

YouTube - Glock Trigger Torture test

This is merely a video demonstration of a principle that you probably know already, that the Glock Trigger Safety relies on the fact that an actual finger or finger-like object inserted through the trigger hole and exerting pressure against not only the trigger, but also the trigger safety, must happen or else that trigger will not depress.

In other words, mess about with your Glock *unloaded* and see if you can, using only string or a bit of belt or a pencil or even a stick of wood approximately finger width, cause that Glock to fire. If you don't mind the (probably negligible) potential change in resale value, recreate any one or more of many Glock trigger tests that are out there, and see if you can make it fire without your express intent.

If you can not, if you do not, trust the Glock trigger safety (and other 2 safeties), then I would agree with you that a Glock is not for you.

If I hadn't fallen in love with (and come to trust) the Glock, I might have gone the Hi-Power or 1911 route. But that's me.

+1 on the training. No matter which tool you select, appropriate training should be considered mandatory. Appropriate gear is also, in my mind, mandatory. If you are having trouble reholstering your Glock in a manner that you consider safe, you might consider rethinking your holster choice before you go rethinking your carry choice.
    People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like.
    - Abraham Lincoln

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    - Winston Churchill

In my more naive days, I carried a Glock 27 with no holster. I never had an issue, but I also have excellent trigger discipline when I draw and re-holster a gun. I never put my finger in the trigger guard.

That being said, as long as you practice holstering the Glock, there should be no issues. If you're still not comfortable with the trigger, then the Glock may not be for you. I also have a Kahr PM9 and a Ruger LCP and have never worried about their triggers either.

Ya want a DAO? Or can ya get by with SA/DA?

You could stick with Kahr...

You could try out a Sig...

I had a Ruger P94, it ran like a top, but it was built like a tank. It was real thick for carry. But, I'm not a DA guy, that's why I got rid of it.

Perhaps a 1911 is in your future? Not a DA, but it has a safety that might allay your concerns...

The XD line is popular. Again, not a true DA, but it does have other safeties available that the Glock doesn't. It has a grip safety, and you can buy one with a manual safety.

There are soo many options, and I'm sure you won't have any trouble unloading your Glock, if it's not your cup of tea.

That said, anything will fire if something is pulling on the trigger, be it a finger or clothing, or whatever
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

How about a S&W Sigma? $250 after rebate and you will not accidentally pull that trigger. It is in the area of 10#-12# pull. I understand your concern as I had the same thoughts a few months ago. I did start to concentrate more on deliberate re-holstering techniques and I have been fine since.
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member

Big fan of the m&p series here.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Owner of an XD-40SC chiming in. I checked out the comperable Glock (I don't know Glock model #'s, it was REAL close in size and .40S&W caliber.) when I got my XD, and the grip-safety is why it came home with me instead of the Glock. I still would own a Glock, and like them very much. and I understand that no amount of safety equipment on a firearm will ever replace SAFE HABITS;I like the fact it does aide in addition to safe habits.

(Even though I never carry it due to size, my wife loves it, and its her house gun. When/if she gets her CCW, shes determined it will be her carry peice.)

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

You can make your Glock even safer by installing the Cominolli thumb safety. They make one for all Glocks except for the G36. Check them out @ Cominolli Custom

I put one on my G26, as I sometimes carry it in the front pocket of my motorcycle jacket while riding, or for times that require deep concealment, in a SmartCarry holster.

I did reduce the width of the Cominolli safety lever by about 50%. Right out of the box, the part of the lever that catches your thumb is wider than it really needs to be, probably for those folks that like to ride the safety with their strong thumb like a lot of 1911 shooters do. I am not one that does that. I much rather have the lever stick out as little as possible, but still have enough there for reliable operation in my hand. This preserves the overall slimness of the gun.

I am thoroughly accustomed to a thumb safety from many thousands of rounds through my 1911 and CZ-75. I figured that having one on the little Glock wouldn't impede me putting it into action at all, seeing as clicking off a thumb safety as the gun comes up to target is an automatic thing for me anyway.

It is wise to choose gun platforms with similar controls of operation so that you will indeed perform under stress in the same manner that you practice and train. That way, no matter what gun you have with you, they all work the same.

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    Put in a NY1 trigger spring and see what you think. If you like the take up but the break is on the high side, switch out the stock connector with a 3.5 connector.

The 3.5/NY1 combo is a pretty popular setup.

if you absolutely must have a safety, the less expensive options would be the Cominolli recommended above by another poster, or perhaps the Saf-T-Block, which you can get for about $13 at GLOCK Saf-T-Blok RH Post '98, among several other places. I am not affiliated with that site, nor have I ever purchased anything from them. (Simply can't find the link for the place where I bought mine...)

Don't have personal experience with the Cominolli safety. As far as the Saf-T-Blok, I'd say from personal experience, it performs as advertised. And promptly gets lost. I happen to have decided since buying it that training has obviated the need to spend another $13 to replace it, or more to get something that doesn't involve forcing the safety to separate itself from the gun.
    People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like.
    - Abraham Lincoln

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    - Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links