Of the three which one would you get and why?

This is a discussion on Of the three which one would you get and why? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Contemplating a new purchase once I sell my Sig P239 9mm. My choices are: SA XD Subcompact 3"; Taurus PT 709; or Walther PPS Just ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Of the three which one would you get and why?

Of the three which one would you get and why?

Contemplating a new purchase once I sell my Sig P239 9mm.

My choices are:

SA XD Subcompact 3"; Taurus PT 709; or Walther PPS

Just not sure which is the better gun.

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Of the three pistols y ou mention in your post I highly favor the Springfield Armory I have the subcompact 9mm
    and really favor it as a CCW.

I have real reservations about the reliability of Taurus products and have extensive experience with Taurus customer service - all not so good.

I have no experience with Walther and have no comment at all.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

VIP Member
    The P239 is the better gun, First Sergeant, but that's not what you're asking.

I have been impressed by the PPS for its efficiency (size/weight/firepower ratio) and it has generally quite good reviews. The XD is considerably "blockier," but also gets high marks for reliability and function. Taurus' have been taking a beating around here lately, but many people have been very happy with theirs...

I guess my question is this: if you already have one of the very best single stack, "sub" compact 9mms available, why are you looking to "downgrade?"
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member
    XD as I have a 4' 9mm which never failed. I did not have good luck with Taurus or Walther.

Quote Originally Posted by dairycreek View Post
    Of the three pistols y ou mention in your post I highly favor the Springfield Armory I have the subcompact 9mm
    and really favor it as a CCW.

I have real reservations about the reliability of Taurus products and have extensive experience with Taurus customer service - all not so good.

I have no experience with Walther and have no comment at all.
    Ditto. +1
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

GM
    Between the XD and the PPS I choose the PPS.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    I guess my question is this: if you already have one of the very best single stack, "sub" compact 9mms available, why are you looking to "downgrade?"
    I was going to ask the same thing.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    ...I guess my question is this: if you already have one of the very best single stack, "sub" compact 9mms available, why are you looking to "downgrade?"
    I was going to ask the same thing.
    Me too.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

I agree with OPFOR:

I have been impressed by the PPS for its efficiency (size/weight/firepower ratio) and it has generally quite good reviews.
    Biker

Fair question for sure. I am thinking about getting rid of the Sig for only one reason. I don't carry it. I bought it and love it, and really wanted to use it as my EDC. But I purchased a SA Loaded Micro Compact Operator for my EDC.

The Sig is just too big to be a pocket carry gun. And many times in Arkansas heat I just like to pop something in my pocket and go. I've got a little Taurus TCP, but it just doesn't have enough "bang" for me.

The PT709 is something I can put a belt clip on stcik in belt or pocket. But I really like the PPS. So I may be making a trip to the local gunshop and talk trade!!!

Trust me the Sig is a superb shooter and a great piece.

not a Taurus

I have real reservations about the reliability of Taurus products. this is why I just quit looking at the Taurus semi's...Just my opinion. Alot of people have good luck with them, but why take a chance?!

I have no expeirience with the other two, but they both get great reviews!
    KAHR CW45, RIA 1911 Officer, S&W Sigma 9MM, Savage 1907 .32cal(BUG)

Either the XD or the PPS will be dependable; what's your priority?

The PPS is thinner; it might conceal better. It's also more expensive.

The XD is thicker, it can accept higher capacity magazines. It's a little cheaper.

The Taurus is a hit and a miss. It's a gamble, are you willing to take the chance? Even if it's reliable, it's not as well built as the other two.

If you want to pocket carry, I've heard of people pulling it off with the PPS. I own an XD subcompact, it's way to thick and heavy for pocket carry. OMO
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    Ah, well that explains things a bit...

I don't think the XD is a "pocket gun" either, but your pockets may differ. I really liked the feel of the PPS, but the mag release will take some training to get used to. If you really want to go small in 9mm, the Kahr PM9 and the Kel-Tek (I know, they're ugly and "cheap" looking, but mine worked like a champ) are both good ones to look at.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I'd get the XD. reliable and small
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Thanks again.

I owned a KelTec P11 and really liked it. I have a guy here local that wants to trade for my Sig. He is throwing in an extra magazine; 200 rds; belt clip; and $250. It's the hard chromed version and he had it buffed and polished and polished the feed ramp.

I'm kinda leaning toward the deal, just not sure:)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links