New Gun

This is a discussion on New Gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking into getting weapon for personal defense. I prefer revolvers over pistols. I was lookig for a .40 or .45 cal revolver with a ...

Thread: New Gun

New Gun

I'm looking into getting weapon for personal defense. I prefer revolvers over pistols. I was lookig for a .40 or .45 cal revolver with a 2.5 inch barrel. I was looking at and considering the Taurus Judge, but not many forum members think much of Taurus weapon. Ruger doesn't make compact revolver in my prefered caliper. S&W does, but are a little out of my price range (I'm willing to spend about $800). I would like to hear some opinions from some of you who have more experience and knowledge than me.

2. Remove Ads

jfl
    For a first gun, and a revolver, I would definitely choose a .357.
    It is a very powerful round more than suitable for SD, and it will also shoot .38 rounds in all gamut of power, making it easier to train.
    A good used S&W shouldn't cost you more than $500.
    I would get a 3" barrel, if you plan on carrying it, a 6" barrel if home defense.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

What would be the difference in stopping power between a .357 and a .40/.45 caliber weapon?

Quote Originally Posted by Illusive Man View Post
    What would be the difference in stopping power between a .357 and a .40/.45 caliper weapon?
    Not much. Again placement is king. One hit with a .22 in center of mass beats a near miss with a .357.

Ammo cost is much less with .40 .45 but if they are using clips to hold .40.45 in revolver it's another piece of equipment that could go wrong.

I love my .357. With my crimson laser grips I'm very happy with 5 shots in my taurus revolver for the most comfortable higher power gun I carry. When I wear my glock it's just a bit more bulky for my carry method.

The judge series is way bigger then the "J" framed revolvers you'll find at S&W and Taurus.

Yeah, I love revolvers but Have only been trained on autos. Don't let anyone tell you revolvers are out dated! Biggest draw back I've found is that if your shooting over 5 or 6 your better with an auto and the statistics just don't show that happening all that often. Not that it can't but the odds are much less.

Quote Originally Posted by Illusive Man;
    What would be the difference in stopping power between a .357 and a .40/.45 caliper weapon?
    The .357 is supposed to be the best stopper out there. However, if you really want something between .40 and .45, you might be interested in a short-barreled Ruger or Charter Arms chambered in .44 magnum or .44 special. The magnum will also run specials, which you'll probably prefer after you shoot a few magnums through a short-barreled revolver...

May wanna check out the revolver below. 8 rounds of .357 I have seen it in .45ACP as wel,l not if the still make but it seems like an excellent defensive revolver. If it's what you want you may wanna consider the extra coin. what ever you get let us know and try to post pics.

Smith & Wesson 327 Performance Center .357 Magnum for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $982.00

Product: Model 327

May I suggest what I just purchased?
    This... The Ruger SP101
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    S&W Model 686
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

VIP Member
    How about the .41 mag?
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

How about a 44 Special? You can get a Charter Arms Bulldog for less than $400.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Quote Originally Posted by Illusive Man View Post
    I'm looking into getting weapon for personal defense. I prefer revolvers over pistols. I was lookig for a .40 or .45 cal revolver with a 2.5 inch barrel. I was looking at and considering the Taurus Judge, but not many forum members think much of Taurus weapon. Ruger doesn't make compact revolver in my prefered caliper. S&W does, but are a little out of my price range (I'm willing to spend about $800). I would like to hear some opinions from some of you who have more experience and knowledge than me.
    I just picked up a S&W 325 Nightguard .45 acp; 2.5" barrel, night sights, very nice, for a bit under your $800 mark.

They can be found quite easily in that area...I know that someone on another forum I'm on had one NIB for sale at $700.

I haven't had the chance to get it to the range yet, but I have a feeling I'm gonna like it.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I think the only gun in the caliber you desire is the Charter Arms 44 Bulldog.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Administrator
    In .45 Long Colt. Wish I owned one.

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    In .45 Long Colt. Wish I owned one.

---PICTURE---
    Those are very sweet snubbies!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Links