Spare magazines - do you load them to the max or minus one?

This is a discussion on Spare magazines - do you load them to the max or minus one? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Curious as to who does what and why. I hear there is a danger of not getting a full magazine fully seated upon reload. Has ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Distinguished Member

Curious as to who does what and why. I hear there is a danger of not getting a full magazine fully seated upon reload.

Has anyone seen this happen and has it changed how you keep your mags loaded?

Are any particular brands of guns or calibers or stacking scenarios tending more towards this problem? (if there is one)

Thank you.

I keep my spare mag fully loaded. I've never had any problems getting it fully seated.

I always load the mags full.That way I have the max of ammo loaded and I know how many rounds are in my mags.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

All in.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    Curious as to who does what and why. I hear there is a danger of not getting a full magazine fully seated upon reload.

Has anyone seen this happen and has it changed how you keep your mags loaded?

Are any particular brands of guns or calibers or stacking scenarios tending more towards this problem? (if there is one)

Thank you.
    For pistols, this is rarely a problem - just run 'em full.

The Browning HiPower of old had some reliability problems when a full mag of 13 was loaded with the slide forward. I believe it was the British military who made the "download by one round" the standard manual of arms for the BHP, so that perhaps gave popularity to that notion.

The AR15/M4/M16 family won't allow a standard 30-round mag to be seated if the bolt is closed. Certain newer mags (P-Mag, for one) have eliminated that as a routine problem.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Senior Moderator
    I typically run one round shy of full. That way if I need to unload for whatever reason, I have a place to put the round that comes out of the chamber, i.e. in the mag. Otherwise, I'm stuck with a loose round to do something with. Since I carry a G17, I am completely comfortable with 17 rounds in the gun.

My spare mag, if/when I carry one would be full.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    I've said it before, I'll say it again, you never know when that 1 round will make the difference.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

VIP Member
    Full.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Only ones I do that with are my AR mags for the issue mentioned above, even with the PMAGS you have to really positively seat them (in my AR at least) to get them to stay, I can get them to go but I figured I'd hedge my bets as I'd rather be one round short and be certain that a slight fumble or sweaty hands end up with a mag on the floor.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CCWFlaRuger View Post
    I've said it before, I'll say it again, you never know when that 1 round will make the difference.
    Well, if one round makes that much difference, then I guess we must only carry guns with 17 + 1 rounds. That would eliminate G26s (10+1), G19s (15+1), Sig 226s (15+1), Sig 229s (13+1), and really eliminate carrying a 1911s (8+1).

Full as well.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Well, if one round makes that much difference, then I guess we must only carry guns with 17 + 1 rounds. That would eliminate G26s (10+1), G19s (15+1), Sig 226s (15+1), Sig 229s (13+1), and really eliminate carrying a 1911s (8+1).
    I see your logic, and I agree... to an extent. My point was not to change your EDC, but to take full advantage of it because you never know when that 1 round that you could be carrying but are not could make the difference.

My Ruger is 8+1, and I would think it a lost opportunity to go out with anything less.

If I had a G17, My oppinion would be to not go out with less than 17+1, if I had an FNH 5.7 I would never go out with less than 20+1.

I do not have either of those, so, I go out 8+1 with a spare in my back pocket... taking full advantage of capacity at hand.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CCWFlaRuger View Post
    I see your logic, and I agree... to an extent. My point was not to change your EDC, but to take full advantage of it because you never know when that 1 round that you could be carrying but are not could make the difference.

My Ruger is 8+1, and I would think it a lost opportunity to go out with anything less.

If I had a G17, My oppinion would be to not go out with less than 17+1, if I had an FNH 5.7 I would never go out with less than 20+1.

I do not have either of those, so, I go out 8+1 with a spare in my back pocket... taking full advantage of capacity at hand.
    I'm already carrying 8 more rounds in my gun than your gun holds. So in effect, I'm not only carrying that one extra round, I'm carrying 8 extra rounds in the gun.

Even if you had time and opportunity to reload, 8+1+8 = 17, you would still have the same number of total rounds with a reload that I have in my gun from the start.

Fully loaded all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    I'm already carrying 8 more rounds in my gun than your gun holds. So in effect, I'm not only carrying that one extra round, I'm carrying 8 extra rounds in the gun.

Even if you had time and opportunity to reload, 8+1+8 = 17, you would still have the same number of total rounds with a reload that I have in my gun from the start.
    That's great, you have more. Conratulations! That was not my point. I don't think that everyone should go out and buy a Glock17, you apparently do. All I am saying is to make the most out of what you have.

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that you find yourself in a situation with 1 BG per bullet you have. Now, assuming you can "one shot stop" each, what happens when the one extra guy, the one you didnt see in the throngs of BG you have jsut dispensed like an action movie hero, comes out from behind the tree? You could have one more bullet, but you chose not to carry it. oops.
    In this same situation, I am already done for becuase I do not have as many bullets as you, so, now I have to hope to take 2 with each shot.

At the end of the day, you will never be able to overcome every obstacle, the best you can hope for is to be as prepared as possible, and that one extra round could make the difference.
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links