M&P 45 Compact - Update and Range Report

This is a discussion on M&P 45 Compact - Update and Range Report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Took her to the range today. I decided I would do an even test between FMJ's and JHP's with 100 rounds each. Results? Flawless! Not ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M&P 45 Compact - Update and Range Report

Took her to the range today. I decided I would do an even test between FMJ's and JHP's with 100 rounds each.

Results? Flawless! Not a single failure. Accuracy was also good as far as I could tell through those foggy glasses.

Observation: I don't think the factory trigger is bad at all. I keep hearing complaints about it, but it felt fine to me.

I do have one question, though. After a mag finished and the slide locked back, if I would somewhat "slam" the next mag in, it would pop the slide release and the slide would go forward and chamber a round. If I inserted it gently, it stayed locked back until I released it.

Is this a break-in matter or is it designed that way?
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Thanks for the post. I'm considering one for winter carry.

I've heard of a similar slide "feature" on another gun before, but I don't remember which gun it was. Not sure if it's intentional on the M&P or not.

when you slam the mag home you are jarring the slide and the slide lock is letting the slide go,I use to be able to do the same thing with a G17,I haven't had it happen with my M&P 45c,but I haven't slammed any mags home either
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

It's called auto-forwarding and it happens to many pistols. When you insert the mag, be sure you go perpendicular to the magwell. If you slam the mag home with the force not at an angle other than 90* auto-forwarding is more likely. You can tell if you're doing this by seeing how your hand behaves after the mag is seated. If it just stops and you reacquire your grip, you're doing it right. If your hand slides forward off the floorplate of the mag you aren't perpendicular.

GM
    Glad you enjoy it!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Thanks for the info, guys! It didn't have me worried, but just curious.

-miklcolt45

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    It happened on mine. inserted mag with my right thumb on the slide release. Pushing the mag up caused my thumb to actuate the release. I noticed this and had to correct myself.

Glad you like it
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    It happened on mine. inserted mag with my right thumb on the slide release. Pushing the mag up caused my thumb to actuate the release. I noticed this and had to correct myself.

Glad you like it
    That's something I've thought about, especially with this gun having an ambi slide release.

I'll check it out the next time I shoot.

-miklcolt45

It's common with m&p pistols. My 9mm pro series and .45 compact size both do it. I really have to slam the mag just right to get the auto forward. And te factory trigger on the .45 is terrible compared to the pro series factory trigger job. My 9 is really smooth all the way through, where the .45 has a clear hump/hitch on the sear. I even inspected the sear to confirm this. An apex kit for the .45 is in my future for sure.

Welcome to the world of reliable handguns, it must be nice after your Taurus troubles.

I have a couple of M&Ps, and I think they are fantastic (for polymer guns anyway). On the off chance you do have a problem, S&W has fantastic customer service and they pay for shipping both ways.

Also, don't forget about the free magazine or $50 rebate S&W has going on with the M&P right now:

Born In The USA Promotion - Smith & Wesson
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

kpw
    I've done it and seen it done with Berettas, Sigs, Glocks, M&Ps, XDs and just about everything else. Some do it easier than others but many, if not most will do it with a good enough rap on the mag.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    I've done it and seen it done with Berettas, Sigs, Glocks, M&Ps, XDs and just about everything else. Some do it easier than others but many, if not most will do it with a good enough rap on the mag.
    This is a true statement! I had a P250 in which you farted and the slide moved!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

The slide slamming home is a good thing and you can incorporate it into your training. Beretta M9's and M&Ps do it regularly without fail. You have to slam it in from the 45 angle. It won't work, at least consistently, from directly below or from the other side. It takes out the step of grabbing the slide and ripping it back. I was always able to do it every time on reloads and it gave me a nice advantage in my speed.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by Landric View Post
    Welcome to the world of reliable handguns, it must be nice after your Taurus troubles.
    I actually have visited this world before. I have an XD 45 Compact and it has been awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Landric View Post
    Also, don't forget about the free magazine or $50 rebate S&W has going on with the M&P right now:

Born In The USA Promotion - Smith & Wesson
    Thank you VERY much. I had no idea, but I just printed the form.

-miklcolt45

Update: I went back to the range today. I intentionally DID NOT clean the M&P last night because I wanted to see how it does somewhat dirty. So I bought two 50-round boxes of Remington UMC (100 total) and a 100-round box of Winchester White Box (both FMJ roundball).

The 100 rounds of Remington were "shared" somewhat with my Colt Defender, which I hadn't shot in a while, so I probably used about 70 rounds in the M&P.

Result? Flawless.

So then I fired the entire 100 rounds of WWB across the M&P. Personally, I find WWB to be some of the "dirtier" ammo out there, next to maybe PMC. Result? Flawless!

So yeah, this thing rocks!

Sadly, my High Noon holster for it was supposed to be here July 1, but when it didn't arrive, the UPS website said, "Revised delivery date - July 6," so I have no idea what their problem is.

Once it arrives, the M&P will be my EDC.

-miklcolt45

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links