Bought a used gun, turns out it wasn't perfect

This is a discussion on Bought a used gun, turns out it wasn't perfect within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; About a week ago I walked into a gun shop just to look like I've done so many times before. There it was: an identical ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bought a used gun, turns out it wasn't perfect

Bought a used gun, turns out it wasn't perfect

About a week ago I walked into a gun shop just to look like I've done so many times before. There it was: an identical gun to my carry, slightly used but with much less wear than mine. Judging from the barrel wear as compared to mine, I'd guess it had maybe 200-400 rounds through it.

I had been looking for another .45 identical to my EDC. I hadn't committed to ordering one yet, but I've been casually looking for months. I was hoping to find a new one on the shelf, but nothing had popped up yet.

Buying a used gun does give me some pause, just as if I was buying a used car. I wonder why it was sold, and if there was a problem with it. However, I've purchased several used guns from reputable makers and never had an issue with any of them.

So I inspected it, asked the owner to disassemble it for a look inside, then told him I'd be back with cash. Since he operates on a slim margin and doesn't shaft people, I chose to go get cash rather than pay with plastic in order to save him the 3% cc fee. When I returned and wrapped it up, without saying a word about it, he lowered the price 3%. I didn't even notice it til after I left the store. Yes, that's how tunnel visioned I was.

(No pics because
    1. My camera got stolen
    2. I'm too cheap to buy another, at least while there are still guns to buy
    3. I forgot how to post pics anyway
    4. Daughter, aka camera genius, who has a camera, is on her way to the oily Gulf coast
    5. If you've seen one stock XD .45, you've seen them all)

I passed the gun to a friend and asked him to test it. He usually shoots my guns before I do because he can shoot just outside his back door. Him: country. Me: 'burbs.

He ran 96 rounds of my carry ammo through it as fast as he could. 96/96, no issues, other than having to wait for the barrel to cool before he cleaned it. He gave it a good test.

While he had it, I began to do some research. I had noticed a small difference between it and my EDC. The small hole in the top of the slide was slightly bigger on the newer purchase, whereas my EDC has a roll pin in the small hole.

I thought Springfield might have made a slight change in the guns since they were 3 years apart, but after some research and a call to Springfield, they indicated the roll pin should still be in place. :( They said they would ship me several free of charge, and that it would be easy to install.

But since I'm concerned about possible damage to the striker, I plan to send the slide to them for inspection, and the addition of night sights while they have it.

Springfield believes the pin must be broken off but still partially there, but I sure can't see it even after several inspections with a good flashlight. I could disassemble the components of the slide to verify, and I may... or I may just send it to them to fix it.

Anyway, I have always been hesitant to purchase used guns, but I have done it several times. This is the only issue I've encountered, and it doesn't seem to be a big one. The gun still functions, 96 out of 96 times, but I'll still get the roll pin replaced pronto.

(Oops, forgot about that Davis .380 a few years ago. That cracked slide, perhaps a shot or two from launching back into my face, taught me quite a bit about research and guns in general. )

Carrying multiple guns
    The number of guns we carry, and how we carry them, are individual choices. I realize some here do not carry yet, and some carry only periodically. Not my preferred methods, but the choice belongs to each individual.

Others carry a gun as much as possible. Still others prefer to carry 2 guns, and a small minority will sometimes carry 3.

For the last couple years I've carried a .45 and a .357 BUG. I like that combination.

But I also have 9mm guns that hold 18, and I now have 2 .45s that hold 14. Why not carry 2 fullsize guns if it's possible, and even easy?

Is it because maybe I don't trust my EDC... due to limited testing of it? Is it concern over a right-hand injury or preoccupation, which leaves me with only 5 rounds available from my left hand? Is it just my nature to think "what if" concerning even the remotest of possibilities? Who knows and who cares.

But the result is I have been gradually gravitating to the belief that it is in my best interest, and the best interest of my family, to carry 2 full-size guns when possible.

Okay, here is where people often start with the "paranoid" comments. Fine. Have you been reading the news from St. Louis and its adjoing 'burbs lately? How about the "In the news" threads from St. Louis in this forum alone, from this week alone?

If you feel a need to comment on paranoia in my circumstances, especially since you are not aware of my daily travels or encounters, nor my manner of work, nor the amount of firearms or other costly stuff I have in my control, nor my physical situation, nor my neighbors, nor my neighborhood, nor any other aspects related to me... well, go ahead and make the "paranoid" comments. I won't debate you because you don't have enough pertinent information on the specifics to qualify as a debater on this issue.

Back to my point: when clothing and situations allow, I've replaced my .357 BUG with a second .45. It doesn't take up much more room on my belt because I often don't carry a spare mag now due to lack of space on my belt. Or you could say I still carry a spare mag, although my spare mag holder is another gun.

So I know this will be an unpopular decision with many, perhaps most. We all make our own decisions based on our perceived threat levels and our comfort levels, and I've made mine.

I'll be sending the slide off to Springfield when I can find a few spare moments, but until then, and after I get it back, I'll be carrying 2 full-size guns when possible.

Are there possible issues with a jury due to carrying 2 full-size guns? Perhaps. Carrying any 2 guns is a possible issue. I heard a retired judge say on the news recently, "No one carries 2 guns unless they intend to use them." Oh really, dip? Does every LEO who carries 2 guns intend to use them? Is carrying 1 gun okay, but the addition of a 2nd automatically makes one a BG? If you're that anti, I'm glad you're retired. Why don't you go find a rocking chair somewhere and keep your face out of the news.

Carrying 1 gun will be an issue with many jurists, so should I not carry anything in order to be "safe" with the jury?

No, I'll choose to survive a gunfight as best as I can. If I've done it right, and my lawyer is worth his fee... well, I'll take my chances with carrying 2 guns.

I did not realize how much I wanted to do this until after I started doing it. My stress level has lowered considerably.

So except for all the "paranoid", "rambo", "unnecessary", "unrealistic", "unwise", etc. comments that usually surface at some point, this decision is a totally positive one for me. In my heart, this is where I wanted to be all along, although I didn't recognize it until recently.

The wife is outside now enjoying the cool of the evening. Many of the neighbors are gone for the holiday. This evening is just like every other evening in that if an emergency occurs, such as an out-of-control dog in the neighborhood (it's happened here) or a home invasion (yep, that too has happened in this neighborhood), it'll be up to me and me alone to protect our family.

LEO has good response time, 3-5 minutes is the norm when I've made a call. A lot can happen in 3-5 minutes.

So it'll be me and me alone dealing with any and all threats for 3-5 minutes.

My paradigm has changed: it's 2 full-size guns, when possible, for me from now on.

Call me whatever you want. Your comments won't be around to help or hinder when I'm faced with the test.

But if it at all possible, both my .45s will be.

A previous paradigm shift
    Many months ago I posted a rant about a couple's reaction to a home invasion while they were napping nude in bed on a Sunday afternoon.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...rue-story.html

In a matter of 3 seconds from house entry, a guy was standing over them and pointing a gun at them as they lay in their bed.

The full account of the incident and their following actions upset me so much that I verbalized in detail what I would do in case of a home invasion while my wife and I were home, in our case in the living room as we often are during the evening.

The day I posted my rant was a turning point for me. I can look back to that day as a defining pivotal point in my personal preparedness journey. After verbalizing how I would handle a high-stress, sudden, violent home invasion, no matter from which entry point, my paranoia dropped and my calmness increased. Significantly and immediately.

We are all different. Some of you teachers, psychologists or scientists may be able to explain why, but apparently forced verbalization has a greater impact on me than other ways of learning.

So that's why I verbalize this, even though it won't be a popular viewpoint.

I'm preparing for the battle to come.

I think it boils down to the following quote, which is something I read on this forum but can't remember who wrote it. But it seems to encapsulate my life view on preparedness as relating to an armed attack. In amongst the words is a desire to avoid conflict if possible, but a determination to prevail if tested.

I'll seek to get along with all if possible, but... perhaps like this guy in South St. Louis, 6 PM, broad daylight, 4 days ago http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ion-error.html

Quote Originally Posted by author unknown
    If I have a gunfight forced upon me, I intend to win it.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Buy a used car and expect to replace the tires, brakes, exhaust ect. Buy a used gun and expect to have to deal with something. Maybe you will be lucky enough to get the one the previous owner "just didn't like".

It's a crap shoot sometimes.

Carrying two guns? Carrying two FULL SIZED guns? Well, if you can handle the all day pain the back, OK.

Does any one consider you paranoid? Who cares? They aren't living your life.

Have you ever considered moving away from St. Louis? I have lived in an area that became a high-crime area. I moved ASAP. Just food for thought.

If ranting on the internet helps get your thoughts straight, fine. We have all read dumber things than a man working out important issues like this.

Stay safe, grady.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

The only thing I'm concerned about when buying a used gun is that the previous owner may have been a learn as you go gunsmith.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I would have to agree with you, I carry a .45 (Glock 30) and a .357 BUG (M&P 340) every time I leave the house and one of my training officers always told me "The best way to carry more ammo is in another gun"
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    Two full-size .45s? Last guy I saw doing that was a hit man in a book. Now, on Internet gun boards, people will always give you props for going large. But where is it going to stop? So it's 2 .45s, a BUG just in case, a knife, BUK, kevlar vest...

If you're arming up as if you're headed out into a war zone, time to consider moving. There are parts of the country that offer less stressful living.

From your other thread, I like your quote here: "I'm preparing headlong for THAT day, THAT moment, that instant in time when time stands still." Some people ask about what the warrior mindset is, and that's it. One should always be preparing.

But. You know that other discussion here about carrying a drop wallet? Well that strikes me as being the wrong kind of preparation. That's preparing to be a victim. It's assuming that you will be victimized. There's something about carrying 2 handguns that strikes me as being similar.

No, I don't know about your line of work. Maybe you're a professional hit man, or a process server, a bounty hunter, and maybe you're likely to be in a massive shootout with multiple gunmen looking to take you out. If a single full-size .45 turns out to be insufficient gun, though, hard to see how a second one would help.

The statistics we have suggest that if you ever need to pull your weapon, the simple fact of your doing so will solve 99 percent of your problems. In the less-than-one-percent of situations where you need to open fire, it is unlikely you'll need to empty the magazine. So carrying a spare gun is like carrying a portable lightning rod around with you. Sure, you might need it. People do get struck by lightning. But is the risk high enough to warrant the defense?

Several times you've discussed the home invasion. That's something I prepare for as well. Instead of increasing firepower, how about strengthening the doors? You hear sounds of attempted forced entry, grab the shotgun, etc. A dog makes an excellent early warning system - you'll be alerted to the approach of strangers before they reach your door. Planning for the breaching event is prudent, but forestalling it entirely or making it harder gives you more options and stronger responses.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Grady, we have a saying in American Kenpo: "Most people lose a fight because they do not decide to win until they are in the middle of it." You MUST decide to win a fight at all costs before it ever begins. That is what it sounds like you have done to me. So kudos to you.

I don't think I will carry 2 full size guns, but it you want to that is your choice!
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

jfl
    Grady, why worry about what others think (or write) ?
    They are not walking in your shoes !

I just started carrying a BUG, after over 20 years of carrying; it does give you more peace of mind.

I like that quote: If I have a gunfight forced upon me, I intend to win it.

IMO it applies to many other things in life.
    I just had a cancer "forced upon me", I intend to beat it!

Some people think I am paranoid in my hurricane preparadness; a few years ago we stayed 21 days without power (hurricane Wilma cat 4 - the eye passed right over the house); in this area it is well water, no power, no water !
    Guess how many neighbors came to borrow, rent, buy my back-up generator !
    A few months earlier they called my paranoid (and maybe other words) to have 2 generators ...

Grady, thanks for posting your thoughts; there is always something to learn if so inclined.

Stay safe, my friend.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

When it comes to the whole paranoia thing I see it like this. I carry a gun to make myself feel more comfortable. 1 Glock 26 with no bug or spare mag makes me feel comfortable. I feel pretty confident that I could counter any threat I am likely to encounter in 99 percent of situations I encounter. If carrying 1 full size and a back up or 2 full size guns or 2 full size guns with a kel-tec sub2000 in a back pack is what it takes to make YOU feel comfortable then I say hoorah, more power to you.

Now, this isn't to say that I don't change out my load out on occasion. Maybe a spare mag or 2 or maybe my lcp stuck in my pocket in addition to my G26 depending on where I am going. Actually, it's pretty common for me to carry a extra mag and my LCP when I go to my moms as she lives in a significantly rougher area then I do. However My neighbor hood is pretty quiet and for my day to day doings (standing on my front porch talking to my neighbor, tending my garden) I feel like my G26 is enough to get me to my shot gun if need be. Again, not enough for you? Carry more and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Carry what ever you want. Anything can can happen. I always recomend to anyone who carries to have atleast one extra mag for a tac-reload and in case of a malfunction you can have the spare ready to go. If you can deal with the extra weight then roll with 2 fullsize 45's.

good post grady, and congrads on the new purchase! i hope it runs 100% for you from here on out.

if you can comfortablly conceal 2 full size handguns, do it..i would if i could...

and i was reading ur other thread that was closed about ur wife not participating in a safe room plan....have u ever thought about having a friend " break " in to your house and scare the crap out of ur wife?

i havnt thought about the neg impact of the situation or after math. but she'd probabyl start loving guns after that. ( of course it'll be a fake break in, so u wont shot the " bad guy" ( your friend) )

and when u plan it, it can be the day u disarm at home because peopel think your too " paranoid"

I carry a gun for the same reason that I have a fire extinguisher in the kitchen (emergencies), does that make me paranoid, perhaps... oh well. Safety is and should be your first concern, for you and your family. I hate to agree with some posters here, but if possible get the heck out of ST Louis... it has gotten nasty in the last few years. I know that I could not carry two .45s comfortably , but if you can more power to you; as the old saying goes, protect you and yours.
    A hand gun is like a fire extinguisher , I wish to use neither, but have both on hand in case of need ; both are personal protection devices that serve the same purpose . ie safety of you and your family.

Grady, my friend; I always enjoy your posts.

Your writing style is honest and very readable. It's easy to comprehend and reconstruct in my mind what you were thinking when you wrote it.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used gun, just because it's used. Anyone could've overlooked the roll pin (what purpose does it serve anyway?). You're dealing with a reputable company; looks like they'll make it right, so everything should turn out in the end, right? All's well that ends well.

I've contemplated carrying full-size guns. If the situation, and your lifestyle permits, then why not?

I could really easily carry my 1911, and my G23. It just takes a little forethought. People who raise paranoia concerns have yet to see reality and the evils that exist therein.

I would still carry an extra mag, though
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I applaud you for your decision. Now a few questions and thoughts:

What position will you carry the twins in?

Considering that a mag change is integral to many malfunctions, will you still carry extra mags? What position?

Are you going to train in two gun fire or rely on the second as backup only?

Have you considered using the second as a hand-off if necessary?

I assume you are never nude in your home anymore. Who covers you when you are in the shower?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Half of the entire American population thinks carrying one gun makes a person paranoid. Who cares ?

I have carried two guns before, when I went into unfriendly and unfamiliar territory. My primary was a Glock 19 OWB in a Don Hume H721 and secondary was a Glock 27 IWB in a CompTac Minotaur. Not bad when you learn how to dress around them. Point being, you know your AO better than we do. If the situation dictates a higher level of preparedness, so be it.

St. Louis ? Yea, ain't it the place any more ? Wow. But, disorder and crime seem to be the norm any more. Cops ? They can't fix our broken society. It's not their job anyway. They're undermanned and strapped by attorneys and broken legal systems. The "To Serve and Protect" should be changed to "To Respond and Report".

BTW, I am LEO so folks don't get yer britches in a wad.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    My offshore boat came with 1 fire extinguisher. I added 2 more. The boat didn't come with a gun which is why I carry one in a waterproof container in addition to the one in my pocket. Going 40 miles out into the gulf with only a single engine didn't make me feel comfortable so I purchased a boat with twins. My point is, do what makes you feel comfortable. I've seen guys out 35 miles in 3-5 foot waves in 16 ft. runabouts. If they are comfortable I say go for it. It's just not my style. Maybe I'm paranoid too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links