lcp or snubnose

This is a discussion on lcp or snubnose within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just bought a brand new smith 642 with 2 1/2 barrel and Ctc grips for my wife, unfortuanatly she doesn't care for it due ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: lcp or snubnose

lcp or snubnose

I just bought a brand new smith 642 with 2 1/2 barrel and Ctc grips for my wife, unfortuanatly she doesn't care for it due to a wrist injury years ago. My father has offered to trade for a brand new ruger lcp with ctc grips saying that the recoil may not be as snappy. Any ideas about this trade? If I did trade would the lcp be a good dependable gun? Thanks for any help

2. Remove Ads

From what I've read about the LCP's they are pretty reliable. Make sure it is one that is post recall or has been repaired. I'm interested in getting an LCP myself.

As for the 642, has she thought about trying a revolver in something a little heavier? like a S&W 60? The older .38 special 60's weight about 20 oz. My wife has had carpel tunnel surgery on both wrists and she has one that she likes very much. My LCR is too light for her and the Ruger SP101 is kinda heavy, but not too bad.

Your wife may want to consider a 60 or an SP101.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

los
    Her wrist injury may pose a problem with the LCP. Has she fired other semi-autos without limp wristing issues..?
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Also, a trade from your 642 to the LCP is not a fair trade. You'd be getting the short end.

Also one of the new S&W 60's that are 357/38 weigh about 23 oz. That is in the middle, weight wise, between the older .38 only 60 and the SP101.

She may also want to consider a small 9mm, such as Walther PPS or Kahr CW9. The Kahr CW9 doesn't kick that much.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

She has, she has aglock 19 that she adores no problems with limp wristing at all. Saw vidios of guys shootinglcp and it appears to me that the recoil seems softer than the Smith 642
    Quote Originally Posted by los View Post
    Her wrist injury may pose a problem with the LCP. Has she fired other semi-autos without limp wristing issues..?

los
    Quote Originally Posted by Leadtag View Post
    She has, she has aglock 19 that she adores no problems with limp wristing at all. Saw vidios of guys shootinglcp and it appears to me that the recoil seems softer than the Smith 642
    Awesome. She's good-to-go.

FYI, there are many aftermarket [soft] rubberized grips [size and shapes]available for j-framed revolvers. They can assist to dampen felt-recoil.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Quote Originally Posted by los View Post
    In addition LCP's are fairly snappy as well. Seems like a SP101 with non +p 38's would be right up her alley. Very mild shooting.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

The snub revolver for reliability and effectiveness. The LCP for concealment.

My small framed wife loves shooting a full sized 1911 .45 best of all but has no use for any of the stunted .380 semi-autos. She will carry and shoot a snub .38 but prefers larger revolvers.

Small, light pistols are more "energetic" than larger pistols shooting the same round. Sometimes it seems that handguns have gotten too small. Ergonomics and comfort suffers and effective shooting may be impaired.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    In addition LCP's are fairly snappy as well. Seems like a SP101 with non +p 38's would be right up her alley. Very mild shooting.
    Yep....gotta love those SP's

I had an LCP, and I currently have a Glock 19 and a Smith 442. I think the Smith recoils the most of the three, then the LCP, and then the Glock 19. I liked the LCP, but it felt a little too small in my hands.

I carry the Smith more than anything else.

I agree with the SP 101 recommendations. It is very manageable with all loads. It might be the best choice of all.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I carry the LCR in .357 magnum for my EDC and I love it. Weight,recoil,and such is no problem for me and,with 25 rounds of the Hornady Critical in 125 .357,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, NICEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE for MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE . richgp100z

Distinguished Member Array pinklady's Avatar
    I can't handle the recoil with the lcr. I carry a s&w 60 it weighs about 20 ounces which is very comfortable for myself to shoot. I took my 6 year old out shooting one day and he shot my husbands lcr after 2 shots he didn't want to shoot it again. He said it hurt his hand. Then he tried my gun and shot a few loads through it, he could handle shooting it. IMO a little bit of weight helps.

I just went through this decision myself, and ended up with the LCP for concealment reasons, over a J-Frame. The recoil on the LCP is definitely manageable, especially if she can handle the Glock 19.

I still want a J-Frame in the worst way, but frankly its size and weight matched one of my other CCW pieces, so it wasn't going to help me in finding a better summer CCW option. But I SHALL have one... probably that neat 637 with the exposed hammer they had at my store.
    Nothing unreal exists

EW3
    Frankly neither gun is going to be ideal for someone with wrist issues. The LCP is still a snappy little puppy, not as bad as a snubbie, but it's most likely going to be a problem for her.

May I ask why do you want her to have such a small gun? What's wrong with a Glock 19, a SIG P239 or a USP Compact?
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links