Kahr PM45, CW45, P45 or TP45 do you have one?

This is a discussion on Kahr PM45, CW45, P45 or TP45 do you have one? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you have one of the Kahr 45's I would value your input. I am considering a 45ACP and I like my Kahr PM9 so ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kahr PM45, CW45, P45 or TP45 do you have one?

If you have one of the Kahr 45's I would value your input. I am considering a 45ACP and I like my Kahr PM9 so I would like the same DA platform. I would carry in colder weather and use for home defense. I would shot it at the range often.

Any user info would be helpful, and why you picked the model you did over the others.
    Last edited by MichSteve; July 3rd, 2010 at 09:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MichSteve View Post
    If you have one of the Kahr 45's I would value your input. I am considering a 45ACP and I like my Kahr PM9 so I would like the same DA platform. I would carry in colder weather and use for home defense. I would shot it at the range often.

Any user info would be helpful, and why you picked the model you did over the others.
    I do not own a CW45 but my father does and I have shot his on many a occasion. It's a fine weapon. Accurate, dependable and nice and thin. It's not EXACTLY what I would refer to as a range gun as the light weight tends to make it a bit energetic but I can get 100-150 rounds through it before fatigue starts to set in. That being said before you even consider shooting one get a houge slip on grip because the front strap on that thing is like a bloody cheese grater.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I have the PM45. Reason I went with it was strictly for carry.

I have other range .45's that don't conceal as well as this dandy little gun does.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichSteve View Post
    Kahr PM45, CW45, T45 or TP45 do you have one?

First things first..there is no T45. Many people wish there were, but there isn't. I assume you meant P45.

I'll echo the sentiment that the Kahr in .45acp isn't a great range gun. They are dedicated for carry purposes, but the light weight makes the pistol a handful, especially with carry loads or +P.

I've only owned the P45 and the TP45. Both are managable so long as you can handle some recoil. They are accurate. The TP offers nothing over the P except perhaps a bit more velocity due to the longer barrel.

For some reason the TP is priced at a point about the same as a CW45 and for that reason alone I'd recommend a TP over a CW.

Thanks and you are right I meant P45.

I just purchased a CW 45 two weeks ago, I have 4 other Kahrs and love them. I have run a couple of boxes of ammo thru the CW 45 and found it very easy to shoot, accurate and dependable . The gun is as other posters have said not a range gun but, it is fablous to carry. The only rig I have to carry it in is my Minotaur by Comp-tac, it is the same holster I carry the other Kahrs in I just lossened the retention screws.

I recently bought a PM45 but it is currently on it's way back to Kahr to get the extractor looked at. It had the nasty tendency to throw brass into my face hitting me square in the forehead, safety glasses, and earmuffs. That being said it's definitely not a range gun. If you're looking for a range gun/home defense weapon you would be better off with a Glock 21 or 30.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

I have a PM45 that I got in a trade. I wasn't looking for one, but it found me. I'm very glad that it did.

The first time I fired it, my eyes about popped out of my head. That little bad boy is ACCURATE! I had a three round clover leaf at 10 yards - the first time I fired it, and I am not all that great a shot.

I carry mine as a backup to my LB Stinger, or when I need to conceal something smaller than a 1911.

Definitely not a range gun though.

Quote Originally Posted by DIABLO9489 View Post
    I recently bought a PM45 but it is currently on it's way back to Kahr to get the extractor looked at. It had the nasty tendency to throw brass into my face hitting me square in the forehead, safety glasses, and earmuffs. That being said it's definitely not a range gun. If you're looking for a range gun/home defense weapon you would be better off with a Glock 21 or 30.
    I have a PM45 that does that same thing. Never thought to call Kahr to see if it was a problem.

Regardless I love the gun, but just like others have said here. It is not one to play around with all day at the range.

jyo
    I found a used, mint P45 (all black) and it shoots just fine---right to point of aim---smooth trigger action---neat smaller .45---kicks some---prefer the P model to the PM types because of sightly longer grip---also have two CW9 pistols---all of the above except slightly smaller and very reasonable recoil. I can recommend them!

I bought one last week and it's back at Kahr for service. See this thread I posted about it on glocktalk. My new PM45 range report - Glock Talk

I had a TP45 for a good while and sold it due to needed funds (read---no job). I can say that it was a very balanced pistol. The longer grip made this all possible, plus it felt great in hand. What really surprised me was felt recoil. What recoil ? really.... my cw9 has more recoil to me.
    highly recommended. I believe that Bud's gun shop has these on a reduction sale of $430 delivered....if you are so interested.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Somewhere Near Lucky Ned Pepper's Hideout
    I've owned my Kahr CW45 for a little over a year. After having the plastic mag release button replaced with a steel one, I've had no issues with the weapon. And, YES, a Hogue Handall Jr. (or similar product) is a MUST with this gun. The factory grips suck!

It shoots very accurately and is a breeze to carry concealed. It's my EDC during the warm weather months in Oklahoma. I do wish the moonies at Kahr weren't such cheap SOBs and would include more than ONE mag with their gun!

I will add night sights and a CT laser pretty soon to complete the carry package.

I am still looking at the Kahr 45's and especially at the CW45 anyone want to comment on a recent purchase?

I bought a CW45 about 2 weeks ago for carry purposes. I have about 150 rounds through it. The first 100 rounds with WWB were no problem the last 50 were some light Nosler 185 grain HP custom reloads. They did not fare so well. I had feeding issues due to their short and stubby profile. No worries though. Now I know the CW doesn't like short HP rounds, so up the weight chain we go. I will try a 200 grain HP profile next and see how she likes that. I am guessing the 230 grain winchester HP will probably feed the best since the bullet profile is very similar to ball ammo.

Other than the above, the gun points and shoots very well, and I don't think you can find a thinner .45 pistol for carry, especially in this price range. Recoil is fairly stout but manageable (more of a solid push back than a snap). Not a range gun by any means. Also, the gun has a very smooth trigger out of the box. It is a long smooth trigger pull that may take a little getting use to, but it is a very nice trigger.

The big knock for me was the grips. Those things will hurt you! Blisters galore! I took a dremel and some 600 grit sandpaper to them and got them smoothed out a bit. I don't recommend this if you plan to re-sell the gun. I did it because I plan on it being a hard use/beater CCW and possibly even just a BUG. I would have went with the Houge grip, but I didn't want to make the grip any thicker as it already fit my hand well. Other than that, it was just a nice fluff and buff of the metal internal parts for me and she is about perfect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links