Best choice for concealed carry

This is a discussion on Best choice for concealed carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First let me say I'm glad to have found this forum. Although I have owned a Browning Hi-Power 9mm for quite some time, I recently ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best choice for concealed carry

First let me say I'm glad to have found this forum. Although I have owned a Browning Hi-Power 9mm for quite some time, I recently got my CHL and would like to find a good gun for CC. I'm leaning towards one that you could pocket carry but don't think I want to go to a 380. Any suggestions would be great. Lot's of great stuff here just takes time to absorb it all. Thanks

Welcome Aboard from Georgia's coast!

Don't knock that Hi-Power as a carry gun.......it's a good 'un! A good holster and quality gun belt can hide that sidearm just fine.

......but looking for a pocket carry means buying a new gun!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Pocket carry is hard unless it's a .380 or smaller. Some people claim they can pocket a Kahr PM9, some say a small j-frame revolver like the S&W 642/442.
    Personally, I don't see how unless they have very large pockets and don't mind the weight in their pants.

I've put my PM9 in the pocket of my cargo shorts and it is hard to tell what is in the pocket, but it is also heavy and starts weighing down. I wouldn't want to carry it in there all day. Rather have it on a belt.

Same thing with revolvers. I have a Ruger LCR that weighs 13.5 oz empty. It is too big to go in my pocket and it doesn't take much weight to notice it.

If you have big pockets and don't mind the weight. Go for a Kahr PM9, or a J-frame light weight revolver in .38.

If you don't have big pockets, wear close fitting jeans (not baggy), don't like extra weight...then you should reconsider the .380. Something like the Ruger LCP, Kahr P380, Kel-tek P-3AT.

Oh! and welcome to the forum from Southwestern Virginia.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Kel-tec or Kahr are gonna be your best bets in autos or an airweight s/w. I personally pocket carry a Kel-tec p11 daily in the summer in a Desantis holster.

VIP Member
    I suggest a strong look at the Kahr line of pistols.
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Somewhere Near Lucky Ned Pepper's Hideout
    Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    Some people claim they can pocket a Kahr PM9, some say a small j-frame revolver like the S&W 642/442.
    Personally, I don't see how unless they have very large pockets and don't mind the weight in their pants.
    I have to respectfully disagree. I wear Bill's Khakis and they don't have "large"pockets. Yet, I can comfortably carry a S&W 642.

For pocket carry, it's hard to beat a 642. Unless it's a S&W M&P 340 with .357 Mags. In a good pocket holster, either one is a better option than a .380, IMHO.

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Walther makes one of the slimmest pistols on the market, the PPS, and it is available in 9mm and .40cal. With the short mag, it should fit in a pocket.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Welcome to DC and you will get some great advice from the folks around here.

Might consider...

http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Great responses so far, thanks for all the comments. I already have more choices to investigate than I had originally planned to look into and it's only Sunday afternoon.

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mikearc View Post
    Great responses so far, thanks for all the comments. I already have more choices to investigate than I had originally planned to look into and it's only Sunday afternoon.
    You are better off than you thought you were... It is only Saturday afternoon!!!
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Quote Originally Posted by mikearc View Post
    First let me say I'm glad to have found this forum. Although I have owned a Browning Hi-Power 9mm for quite some time, I recently got my CHL and would like to find a good gun for CC. I'm leaning towards one that you could pocket carry but don't think I want to go to a 380. Any suggestions would be great. Lot's of great stuff here just takes time to absorb it all. Thanks
    Kahr PM9 would be worth a look.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

u can pocket carry a j frame!!!!!
    No matter what anyone says you can never own enough guns!!!
    Glock 26
    Ruger LCP

i would suggest the Kahr p380 or the Ruger LCP for "pocket carry"...both are very light and compact..if you want a larger caliber,i'd go with the Kel Tec PF9 or the Kahr PM9..two of the lightest,compact 9mm on the market..

Welcome to the forum from a fellow Texan.

Check out this thread for some suggestions. http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...lable-9mm.html

You may be able to pocket some of the smallest 9mm's but you have to go down to a .380 like the KelTec P3-AT or Ruger LCP to pull it off all the time IMO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links