Truck Gun

This is a discussion on Truck Gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay guys...I may be a teen but I am not completely stupid. haha. I am not ever going to just leave it in my car. ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Truck Gun

Okay guys...I may be a teen but I am not completely stupid. haha. I am not ever going to just leave it in my car. I want something with me for when I do a three hour trip to see family. I love guns no matter how cheap. I don't want anything of mine stolen. I figured out that one of my father's friends is an FFL dealer that would get guns dirt cheap as a favor. This might open up my price range a bit.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    get a judge! With the close confines of a vehicle its the best choice IMO.
    What makes it a good choice? The giant size? The inability to meet FBI minimums for penetration with anything other than .45lc ammo? The lack of spread at carjacking ranges? The unwavering commitment to quality Taurus has shown throughout their illustrious history?

For the OP, get a fullsize auto in 9mm. There are plenty out there for ~$500 new. You can become very familiar with your chosen platform and will be ahead of the game when you get a compact for carry.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Texag View Post
    What makes it a good choice? The giant size? The inability to meet FBI minimums for penetration with anything other than .45lc ammo? The lack of spread at carjacking ranges? The unwavering commitment to quality Taurus has shown throughout their illustrious history?

For the OP, get a fullsize auto in 9mm. There are plenty out there for ~$500 new. You can become very familiar with your chosen platform and will be ahead of the game when you get a compact for carry.
    What makes it a good choice.
    The Giant size? - well size isn't as big of an issue in a vehicle and I have a public defender that is smaller than you would think.
    Penetration? - well yes the 45lc work nicely but so do the 000 buck, and the PDX1. we are talking shooting no longer than the length of the cab. and I haven't seen any more issues with taurus's full weight revolvers than anyone else's (semi's and ultalites are a different story).
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

What makes it a good choice.
    The Giant size? - well size isn't as big of an issue in a vehicle and I have a public defender that is smaller than you would think.
    Penetration? - well yes the 45lc work nicely but so do the 000 buck, and the PDX1. we are talking shooting no longer than the length of the cab. and I haven't seen any more issues with taurus's full weight revolvers than anyone else's (semi's and ultalites are a different story).
    Actually they don't. .410 simply isn't a good choice for self defense no matter what it's loaded with.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungGun93 View Post
    I figured out that one of my father's friends is an FFL dealer that would get guns dirt cheap as a favor. This might open up my price range a bit.
    Your dad's friend with the FFL is not gonna be supplying you with a handgun if he values his freedom and his license. Just ask him...
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

Quote Originally Posted by Texag View Post
    Actually they don't. .410 simply isn't a good choice for self defense no matter what it's loaded with.
    000 will go through 4" of wood at 5 feet away. That's plenty of penetration for close range combat. Like getting shot with 3 380 auto bullets at once. At over 10 yards its poop unless you have the 45 lc. But for shooting from the hip car jacking stopper its perfect
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Quote Originally Posted by Warmon View Post
    Your dad's friend with the FFL is not gonna be supplying you with a handgun if he values his freedom and his license. Just ask him...
    Plus there isn't as much mark up as you might think on NEW guns.

Plus there isn't as much mark up as you might think on NEW guns.
    What is the mark up?

And also, my father would probably end up getting the gun first. I would be practicing with it under my father's supervision. And once I am able to own the handgun, my father would give it too me.

And gentlemen, please stick to the firearms aspect of the question I am posing, not the legality. TRUST ME. I have been clearing everything with local gun dealers and even law enforcement. The last thing I want is to break the law.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungGun93 View Post
    What is the mark up?

And also, my father would probably end up getting the gun first. I would be practicing with it under my father's supervision. And once I am able to own the handgun, my father would give it too me.

And gentlemen, please stick to the firearms aspect of the question I am posing, not the legality. TRUST ME. I have been clearing everything with local gun dealers and even law enforcement. The last thing I want is to break the law.
    Depends on the dealer shipping costs and such but usually 10-15%

Wait until you can carry for the bigger more fancy weapons if that's your desire.

000 will go through 4" of wood at 5 feet away. That's plenty of penetration for close range combat. Like getting shot with 3 380 auto bullets at once. At over 10 yards its poop unless you have the 45 lc. But for shooting from the hip car jacking stopper its perfect
    Last time I checked wood isn't a very good representation of human tissue.

From here:
    The buckshot only penetrated one jug and went into the second one.

That is equal to about 4.5 inches of penetration into ballistic gelatin or bad guy.

Not nearly enough.
    The spread from that test, at 10 yds, is maybe 7" if you're being generous. So you've still gotta aim, same as you would with any pistol.

I am not necessarily a fan of the Judge. I want a lot more ammo options for self-defense that the .410 and .45LC. I want to stick to some of the more popular calibers such as .38, .357, 9mm, .40, or .45.

Quote Originally Posted by ErikGr7 View Post
    I agree +1

I agree as well. Either can be purchased in the base model for around $400 or a bit less.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links