Beretta Model 21A Bobcat Range Report

This is a discussion on Beretta Model 21A Bobcat Range Report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Took my new Beretta Bobcat Inox .22lr pistol to the range today; what a neat little pistol! Fired 100 rds CCI min-mags, 100 rds Remington ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beretta Model 21A Bobcat Range Report

Beretta Model 21A Bobcat Range Report

Took my new Beretta Bobcat Inox .22lr pistol to the range today; what a neat little pistol! Fired 100 rds CCI min-mags, 100 rds Remington Golden Bullets, and 100 rds Federal Bulk Pack from Wally. Each load had two light strikes/FTF but each cycled the gun pretty much the same. I really was just breaking it in today after a good cleaning and lube. But; I was amazed at the dead-on accuracy of this tiny pistol. Consistently had 4 inch groups in rapid fire from 7 yds. Pretty much a point and shoot deal since my eyes are "old" and I couldn't hardly pick up the tiny front sight! I would just wipe the crud off the face of the chamber, the face, and the ramp after each 50 rds or so and keep firing away. Had a blast. I may even carry it as a BUG to my BUG on occasion but it sure is a fun plinker.

2. Remove Ads

Locked out on a balcony of the Dark Tower...
    Is that a break barrel type .22?
    All Day I Dream About Sigs

GM
    Glad you enjoy it
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by Broken View Post
    Is that a break barrel type .22?
    They have the "tip up" barrel. Makes it real easy to load/unload too.
    It's not the destination, it's the journey.

I am still looking to get one of those when money opens up for it. Glad you are enjoying yours.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

great small gun. mine will shoot just about any 22lr ammo that i feed it. fun gun to shoot, 22 lr ammo is cheap.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by druryj View Post
    Took my new Beretta Bobcat Inox .22lr pistol to the range today; what a neat little pistol! Fired 100 rds CCI min-mags, 100 rds Remington Golden Bullets, and 100 rds Federal Bulk Pack from Wally. Each load had two light strikes/FTF but each cycled the gun pretty much the same.
    This is exactly why I recommend revolvers for .22 handguns, not pistols. If you get a dud (and you will) just pull the trigger again. This is especially so if you plan on using it as a carry gun - even as a BUG.

Your choice, but I just do not trust the ignition of .22 ammo for defensive purposes. ALL the duds I have personally experienced have been with .22 ammo.

Enjoy as a plinker, but no way I would trust my life to one. The loudest sound in the world is "click" when you really need a "bang."
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

I had one of these that would jam more than once, every magazine. Tried a few different ammo types. Couldn't even enjoy using it as a plinker because of it.
    Never again.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    This is exactly why I recommend revolvers for .22 handguns, not pistols. If you get a dud (and you will) just pull the trigger again. This is especially so if you plan on using it as a carry gun - even as a BUG.

Your choice, but I just do not trust the ignition of .22 ammo for defensive purposes. ALL the duds I have personally experienced have been with .22 ammo.

Enjoy as a plinker, but no way I would trust my life to one. The loudest sound in the world is "click" when you really need a "bang."
    Yup. agree.
    I have a Bobcat, and my failure rate is about 10%. Too high for defensive weapon. fun to shoot at the range though.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

It has a tip-up barrel; I think the accuracy and reliability is about as good as can be hoped for in a small .22 like this. And I understand and agree on the issue about the reliability of rimfire ammo...and how a wheel gun is better if you're gonna CCW a .22LR...cause you can just pull the trigger again and rotate the cylinder...ad infinitum. That's why I said maybe as a BUG to my BUG. It's just a fun little plinker and that's what I intend to do with it. Usually. Maybe. Most of the time. It might sneak into my pocket every so often though. We'll see. (I sometimes carry a PPK/S in (gasp) .380 ACP as a primary). Anyway, I like this little pistol and if anybody is contemplating one, I think you'd like it too; for whatever purpose you decide to use it for.

Happy, safe shooting.

No worries...I sometimes (gasp) carry my .380 LCP as my primary (and only) pistol. The only time I carry a BUG is when I'm on duty.

Most of the time, however, I try and Smartcarry my Glock 26.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

New Beretta 21A

Picked up a new Beretta 21A in 22lr yesterday. After taking it all the way apart, lubricating it and cycling the slide about 500 times, I went to the range and shot it. Engagement range was 7 meters on an IPSC silhouette. Pisolt was cleaned between each ammo type fired.

Remington Viper HV Truncated HP: Multiple FTF, good accuracy out of 50 rounds fired. In the FTFs the rounds would try to feed off the mag but the nose would go a tad high and become sandwiched between the breech face and the top edge of the chamber mouth.

Federal Game Shok HV 40gr Plated Round Nose: No FTF no FTE, no ignition issues from 70 rounds fired. The only time I could get these to not work 100% was when I had a full 7 rounds in the mag and on in the chamber. The first round off the mag would fail to feed. I understand that this is common with this model pistol. With a round in the chamber and 6 in the mag this ammo worked great.

Remington Yellow Jacket HV Truncated HP: Same performance as the Federal Game Shok (including the 6 vs. 7 rounds in the mag issue), but with slightly more recoil and flash. Very accurate, fired 50 rounds.

CCI MiniMag HV 40gr Plated Round Nose: Multiple FTF even in the middle of the mag. No ignition issues, but MiniMag is not for my pistol. Fired 50 rounds.

Aguila Interceptor HV 40gr Plated Round Nose: Same as MiniMags, slightly worse if that. Will not use for this pistol. Fired 50 rounds.

CCI Stinger HV 31gr Plated HP: Best performance. No ignition, feeding or ejection issues. This was the only ammo that would feed and cycle with one round in the chamber and 7 in the mag.

I am going to try out Velocitor, Winchester Super X, 333 and Federal Champion next.

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    I had one of these that would jam more than once, every magazine. Tried a few different ammo types. Couldn't even enjoy using it as a plinker because of it.
    Never again.
    I'm with tkruf on this one, my mother had one and we hardly ever got it to shoot a full mag with no fail to ejects or jams.

She traded it after about 500 rounds thru it for a single action revolver.

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    I have a 9 shot taurus 94 revolver that I have owned for probably about 15 years.

Pure .22lr plinking fun. Everyone that shoots it can't put it down.

I have one and it is a very accuratate piece. But I am glad im not the only one having problems with the jams. I have found if you take you fingers and squeeze the top of the mag a bit the jams stop. at least for a few mags to be fired through it. I do believe the mags are the main problem. They are very cheeply made.
    NRA Member

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links