Pic request - 1911 owners

This is a discussion on Pic request - 1911 owners within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First off, Happy 4th of July DC! This may sound a bit strange but I was wondering if some of you 1911 owners could post ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pic request - 1911 owners

First off, Happy 4th of July DC!

This may sound a bit strange but I was wondering if some of you 1911 owners could post a pic of you holding your 1911 with a 2 hand thumbs forward grip. Most importantly the position of your thumbs. I have been doing a lot of dry fire practice with my full size in anticipation of Kimber pro carry II purchase in August. Main things I'm trying to figure out is how high your right hand thumb goes and how low your left hand thumb goes (Reverse for lefties of course)

Thanks!
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Here is a pic of me at an IDPA match.
    Attached Images
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

Quote Originally Posted by jualdeaux View Post
    Here is a pic of me at an IDPA match.
    It appears that both of your thumbs are riding the slide, is that correct?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I use the same hold. The support hand thumb curls slightly away from the slide and typically holds down the slide lock. The shooting hand thumb rides down on the safety lever. Some shooters use the support hand thumb and go alongside the frame forward of the slide lock lever. It all depends on the build of your hand and what is most effective for you.

Pics from Mother's Day at the range with the wife...
    Attached Images
    Kimber Tactical Ultra II, Kahr PM45, Kahr PM9, Kahr P380

Google Todd Jarrett....

One of the best explainations I've seen.

Here's mine, This is an Officer sized pistol. I ride the extended safety which helps with muzzle flip and gets me back on target faster.

Kansas Concealed Carry Website

NRA/Ks. Firearms instructor
    Cheif Range Safety Officer

the "high thumbs", or competition hold, can cause issues if not done correctly. if you contact the slide stop it can cause the slide to lock back early, or not lock back when empty. also, contacting the slide during cycling can cause a malfunction.

if your not able to practice enough to master the high thumbs grip, you should use the standard "locked thumbs hold".

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    It appears that both of your thumbs are riding the slide, is that correct?
    Uh, kind of. The strong hand thumb is on top of the thumb safety and the support hand thumb is just above the slide lock.

An advantage of this is that on a reload, you pop in the fresh magazine, get your support hand back on the grip and use the support thumb to knock the slide release down to finish the reload. it is faster than changing my grip a bit and using the strong hand thumb to hit the release or using various slingshot methods. There are less movements needed.

I am coming from other type of semi autos where I always used the over hand slingshot method. I was trained that way and I always seem to revert to form. But in competition, that split second can mean a place or two gain. So, I'm trying to switch methods for 1911 pistols.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

Quote Originally Posted by JPCleary View Post
    Pics from Mother's Day at the range with the wife...
    Cool pics JP. Once they load toggle through um fast and it looks like a slow mode recoil.

Nice Ultra BTW.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I hold my 1911 just like jualdeaux but when I shoot it I like to have my right arm bent and my left are more straight.I try to have my thumbs as high as I can get them.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Start with your grip like the first pic then add your support hand to fill all the area of the grip that's available. Hold your support hand naturally then cant it forward so your thumb is straight forward and your fingers are pointing forward and down at a 45 angle. Fill the empty space.

This will give you much more control for recoil and follow up shots and get you back on target a little quicker. Now, this isn;t a light grip or a 60/40. it's more like a 100/100. Now, I use a modified Isosceles, but it works fine with any other type as well. A form of the Isosceles gives even pressure from the sides as well as the front and back where the Weaver is more pressure on the front and back than the sides.

Like someone else said, Google Todd Jarrett. If you Google Magpul Dynamics pistol grip (maybe?), you'll get another great explanation. I'll look and post a link.

*EDIT - Here's the link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm9uG5bPubw

Recoil at it's max in third photo below. You can also see how quick I'm shooting with three cases in the air. These were combat accurate, not just fast.

Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    Start with your grip like the first pic then add your support hand to fill all the area of the grip that's available. Hold your support hand naturally then cant it forward so your thumb is straight forward and your fingers are pointing forward and down at a 45 angle. Fill the empty space...

Exactly what he said, and with a modified isosceles stance.
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

jonconsiglio said it best and posts another set of amazing photography work. Nothing else to add
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Thanks guys! I get it now. Pretty much what I was already doing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links