I'm having second thoughts...

This is a discussion on I'm having second thoughts... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm having second thoughts. Not about the G19 but whether or not I should wait on a Gen 4. I kinda feel like I'm about ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm having second thoughts...

VIP Member

I'm having second thoughts...

I'm having second thoughts. Not about the G19 but whether or not I should wait on a Gen 4. I kinda feel like I'm about to buy last years model car just before the new ones hit the showroom. I don't mind buying a Gen 3 but should I wait for Gen 4s to be on the shelf so that the price drops a little on the older model?

It seems silly to rush out and buy one now instead of waiting for the details to be in.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

2. Remove Ads

I don't like the Gen4s.

Also glock never intended to phase out the Gen 3s. Gen4 is simply another choice.

I don't think the prices are going to change anytime soon.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

The word is that Glock is going to continue to make the Gen3 models; the Gen4 is an addition to the line, not a replacement.

With that being the case, I don't think the price of a Gen3 is going to drop; and Gen4's seem to be slightly more expensive right now.

Add in the few issues that the Gen4 G17's seem to be having, I think I'd get a Gen3...because that's what I did a few weeks ago.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

It's all about choice!

What do you want? If you want the 4G version, wait for it. I wouldn't think Glock's reputation would make you think there are any glitches or problems that would need to be worked out. Their track record is excellent.

Personally, I am on the hunt for G1 or G2 G19. I don't like the changes to the grip they made on the 3G, so I am only searching for a G1 or G2 model.

I don't care that they are used, factory re-furbished, or "last year's model". If it has the features that I want, that's what I will spend my money on.

So...your question to answer is which version has the features that you want? Answer that one, then go buy it!

Stick with the Gen 3 and I wouldn't bother waiting because I doubt the price will drop on the Gen3 when the Gen4 comes out.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

I've seen the Gen 4 and I'd still go with the Gen 3 Glocks...

It's not like a new car model...stick with the Gen 3 Glocks.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

gen4's have numerous issues, simply google it, and the price isn't going to drop on the gen3's. the price wasn't dropped on gen3 glock 17's or 22's, why would you expect it to on the gen3 glock 19 model?

Agreed, forget the Gen 4 go with the Gen 3.

what to buy

I am a very technical person who has worked as an engineer for electronic product. I am also a senior citizen. I will not buy anything that just came out. Let the manufacturer have a year to find out their real problems. We call it: "field engineering"
    Ruger, and even Walther had recalls for the first year of their new guns. What does that tell you?
    Wait a year and see if you sstill want it.
    Note: I know that Glock has a good reputation, and I am not flaming them. However, you don't know you have a product until it works in a consumer's hands, and they accept it.

Senior Moderator
    I really like the RTF models (gen 3). That's what I have; I wouldn't trade it for anything. I think that's the best thing that's happened to a Glock since Glock became Glock.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Seems like every generations has its issues and naysayers, but Glock always seems to make good on them. By the time the Gen 4 G19 hits the shelves, most if not all of those issues will probably be null and void. But they will live on indefinitely on the wonders of the internet.

Let's turn our noses up at all improvements. Give up your Glocks, your Colts and S&Ws, your Kimbers and Wilsons. Grab a rock or big stick. It worked well once before, why not now? After all, aren't all firearms just a "new generation"?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Now for a dissenting view...

I NEVER wanted a Block, err...Glock til a friend handed me his new Gen 4...
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Seems like every generations has its issues and naysayers, but Glock always seems to make good on them. By the time the Gen 4 G19 hits the shelves, most if not all of those issues will probably be null and void. But they will live on indefinitely on the wonders of the internet.

Let's turn our noses up at all improvements. Give up your Glocks, your Colts and S&Ws, your Kimbers and Wilsons. Grab a rock or big stick. It worked well once before, why not now? After all, aren't all firearms just a "new generation"?

guess you missed the multitude of complaint threads on this and other forums concerning the gen4's....

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Haven't missed a thing. Just as many if not many more have had no issue with the Gen 4s. Everything has birthing problems. New cars, new guns, etc. People love to complain on the internet where they have everyone's attention. Those who haven't had problems spend their time on the range instead of the screen. They complained about the Gen 2, then the Gen 3, now the Gen 4. But Glock keeps on selling and Glock owners, for the majority, keep on smiling, so Glock must be doing something right.

I haven't seen any make or model that someone hasn't griped about.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Haven't missed a thing. Just as many if not many more have had no issue with the Gen 4s. Everything has birthing problems. New cars, new guns, etc. People love to complain on the internet where they have everyone's attention. Those who haven't had problems spend their time on the range instead of the screen. They complained about the Gen 2, then the Gen 3, now the Gen 4. But Glock keeps on selling and Glock owners, for the majority, keep on smiling, so Glock must be doing something right.

I haven't seen any make or model that someone hasn't griped about.

so, you're admittedly recommending a product that has "birthing problems"?

no trying to be a tool, my friend. just trying to understand your line of thinking. simply stating there's been complaints on every gun out there doesn't justify a products with obvious issues. heck, even glock said they see no military/LE use for the gen4. they just made it to meet a new market demand in america.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links