Slide rail wear on polymer frames?

This is a discussion on Slide rail wear on polymer frames? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Howdy all, I've used the search function extensively but can't seem to find the anything too specific on the topic of my question. In a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slide rail wear on polymer frames?

Howdy all, I've used the search function extensively but can't seem to find the anything too specific on the topic of my question. In a nutshell: do the slide rails on the polymer gun frames usually show a bit of wear? I ask because I recently purchased a NIB Kahr CW9 (my 1st polymer gun) and I have only put 150 rounds down the pipe (with zero malfunctions, btw). As I was cleaning it after my last range trip, I noticed wear on the rails on the gun frame. Nothing too extreme but I wanted to check to see if this is normal before I call up Kahr CS. I clean the pistol after each range trip and all I've been using to lube it with is REM oil. I'm starting to think that its great for cleaning but not so hot for lubrication. If this is true, what would be the top recomendations for gun lube that will stand up to use and best protect my firearm? I thank all of you for your responses in advance!

(I would post pics but my camera is currently in the posession of my shutter happy camera-less sister)
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting: Hot Damn! What a Ride!

Gen3 G19
    Taurus TCP
    Ruger 22/45

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Use grease. A light coat (no globs) stays in place where oils tend to disperse. I use a Q-tip to apply. If wear still occurs, something's wrong. I use green marine grease with no issues on my Glock. If it can stand up to salt water and wheel bearing abuse, it should handle a slide.

Standby for the Gunzilla Brigade!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Metal on metal will always wear no matter what is used for lubrication, but grease will help slow it down over oil in my experience. On many polymer frame guns, the metal rail on the frame is much less than a steel or alloy frame. Of course you'll see some wear, but nothing to be concerned about.

These guns go many 10's of thousands of rounds and I'm sure something else will go wrong before you have any problems associated with the rails.

Oh, I use Tetra Gun Grease on the rails or sometimes Brian Enos Slide Glide.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Your Kahr CW9 is very similar to a Glock. I once had a Glock armorer tell me not to lube a Glock at all. His exact words "Glocks hate lubrication!"
    I also saw an article in American Handgunner in which 170,000+ rds were fired through a Glock and it was still functioning. I don't think you have anything to worry about.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Polymer. Have you ever noticed that polymer is rather slick by itself? Steel on polymer will likely outlast steel on steel contact. Just because you're thinking of plastic doesn't mean it's weak nor inferior to steel. Depends on the application and tolerances. Lube as you would anything else. IMO, alloy frames with steel slides need more care than others.

Administrator

Jardines Extreme is great for slide rails. Here is the link.
    Jardine's Extreme - Superior Grade Weapons Grease Gun Lubricant

AzB
    The rails on my polymer FNP and FNX are designed to be easily replaced.

Problem solved.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post
    The rails on my polymer FNP and FNX are designed to be easily replaced.

Problem solved.
    Why? Do they wear out that fast?
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    Why? Do they wear out that fast?
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I use Tetra Gun Grease,also.It's good stuff,and just a li'l dab will do ya...
    Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Gunzilla it and go.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

When power is up for grabs; personal liberty is usually one of the first casualties…

Thanks everyone for all the tips and reassurances. I'm probably going to order some type of grease to try online as none of my local gun stores (really small town) have any and it would probably be cheaper than driving to a bigger city to buy it. We'll see. Once again, thanks!
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting: Hot Damn! What a Ride!

Gen3 G19
    Taurus TCP
    Ruger 22/45

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Rem-Oil runs like crazy and dries out too soon for me. It does ok in a pinch and I still have several cans.

To clean my guns I; spray with non-chlorinated brake cleaner, wipe with a rag, scrub if really necessary. Wipe down weapon and parts well. Lube with a dab of Mobile 1 motor oil in desired areas. Now that's some slick stuff, won't run and just 'a little dab will do ya'.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

???

Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    Rem-Oil runs like crazy and dries out too soon for me. It does ok in a pinch and I still have several cans.

To clean my guns I; spray with non-chlorinated brake cleaner, wipe with a rag, scrub if really necessary. Wipe down weapon and parts well. Lube with a dab of Mobile 1 motor oil in desired areas. Now that's some slick stuff, won't run and just 'a little dab will do ya'.
    i was considering NC brake cleaner but wasnt sure if its too strong for the gun finish.
    Have you noticed any problems?
    just wondering.
    thanks

I use white lithium grease - comes in a spray can and available at most auto parts stores nationwide. I agree, grease is way better than oil.
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links